BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

so what do guys want ?

More
15 May 2012 16:44 #40354 by Johnniehec
Only problem with these on a Jim is I don't think there's anything solid to bolt them to like there is on the Defender, same with the door rails below the windows.
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2012 17:00 #40356 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
No but you could have internal bracing with the same bolt patern , would also make a handy shelf in the back

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2012 19:55 #40368 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
bolt on 3link set up blot to diff and chas :-D
Attachments:

More
16 May 2012 17:16 #40428 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
Would it be possible to make some kind of bolt on front lower shock mounting strengthener? Also with the demise of the ORA bumpers is there a market for a replacement that is not as extreme as the new replacement t hey are planning. I like the idea with their existing bumpers, both back and front, that they protect the corners of the bodywork and are a good compromise between strength and looks. A rear winch bumper could be good but quite how you make that so that you can still keep a spare wheel on the back I suppose is part of your design skills! Maybe it could also incorporate the swing away spare wheel carrier mentioned earlier in the thread.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2012 17:36 #40534 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: so what do guys want ?

mcjimny wrote: Dislocating suspension setup! B)

If Redacted wants to make one, I'd happily share my design! I'd like to make them - but am so busy at the moment, I'm never going to have time at this rate.

The design is very simple, uses the original bars and will lock/unlock remotely - it could even use the FWH vacuum to disengage.

Si

More
17 May 2012 20:50 #40560 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
Something else that would be really useful would be some bump stop extensions, or new bump stops to accommodate say 2, 3 and 4 inch lifts. The only people that I have seen selling them is Zanfi, but beautiful though they are, they are also rather expensive.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
17 May 2012 21:54 #40574 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
I've just noticed this post! Crikey, if you don't come on here for a few days so much goes on!

Having a different way of mounting the suspension arms at the chassis end, perhaps like Landrover front suspension but on the rear aswell with the elephant ear type mount. This would retain the panhard rod to reduce the amount of changes, welding to fit and general fabrication, whilst correcting castor perhaps and allowing more articulation and taking stress off the bushes. A Landrover bush could be used.

An easy way to extend the bumpstops to limit travel to stop tyres touching bodywork.

A bolt on rear winch bumper that perhaps mounts where the tow bar mounts are that can still allow for a tow ball and a redesigned rear exhaust as the winch would occupy it's space.

I wouldn't worry too much about the spare wheel's position on the rear door as if you're gonna need to winch at an angle that would effect the spare you might have wanted to remove that before you went offroad.

I've gone over ideas others have suggested but wanted to show my interest in each!

So you have suspension under development then Richard?!? I might hold off on buying any castor corrected arms and see what you're suspension's all about then! Do you have any time scale on it being ready?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• rjd1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2012 22:13 #40580 by rjd1
Replied by rjd1 on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
well if you take the body off a 90 and a jimny they are basically the same set up
why not make fittings to take landrover suspension as its so cheap compared to jimny stuff currently being sold

More
18 May 2012 11:22 #40607 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: so what do guys want ?

rjd1 wrote: well if you take the body off a 90 and a jimny they are basically the same set up

Erm, no they aren't.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Rockwatt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2012 11:59 #40609 by Rockwatt
Replied by Rockwatt on topic Re: so what do guys want ?

kirkynut wrote: So you have suspension under development then Richard?!? I might hold off on buying any castor corrected arms and see what you're suspension's all about then! Do you have any time scale on it being ready?

Kirkynut

yes a resigned suspension "system" is on the cards. And it won't just be a set of caster correction arms. But it will be strictly offroad only!
If you still have my number give me a call :wink:

Thanks for all the feedback and it's all been taken on board so watch this space.
I'll have a chat with martin and check it's ok to do a thread just for pics of my new products.
I've already got the domain www.rockwatt.co.uk so that will go live in a few months.
Just in the process of moving to a much larger premasis with lots of land for a huge workshop so bare with me and you will see some new and exiting products with the usual Redacted design flare.

For the time being though keep posting your wish lists on here and I'll give all of them some attention to see if there viable.
Just looked into injection moulding wheel arches that would follow the Jimny body lines and would be made from MDPE
Set up costs would be in the ball park of 10k but I do believe that it would pay of as I can do other types just with a die change at about £200 per die.

I do intend to work with other supplyiers not against them ie Ora and jimmy bits etc and hope they will do the same as I believe there is plenty of room rather than working against each other. Each of us has our slot and I'm sure it will lead to just more products ! Not just copy's of the same thing.

• rjd1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2012 12:35 #40612 by rjd1
Replied by rjd1 on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
the same principle i meant coil sprung, arms, it aint that far fetched

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2012 16:34 #40633 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic so what do guys want ?
Much respect Redacted . Good luck in the new premises and products. Can't wait to see them :)

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds