BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

so what do guys want ?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2012 18:29 #40646 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: so what do guys want ?

facade wrote:

oxford_bloke wrote: smoggy,

as far as anti roll bars go, take it of grind down the brackets and it will pass. i have done this on a couple of cars and taken it to strict MOT places and no isssues at all they can only fail what is there not what isn't

tom

Bad advice I'm afraid. If it left the factory with one fitted it will fail if it doesn't have one when presented.
2012 Testers Manual Section 2.4 G

Reason for failure
"A suspension component or its attachment bracket or linkage:
missing where one is fitted as standard"

Same thing for steering locks
Airbags
Belt pretensioners

However, you are allowed to remove the entire ABS system if you like.

ifi your car is highly modifiyed you dont need
steering locks
Airbags
Belt pretensioners and many other things

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2012 18:33 #40648 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
I think the dvla may have so ething to say about that :laugh:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2012 18:45 #40653 by markyp2000
not acording to the mot meating i went on at the start of the year if used for race and has to be road leagle for safety resons
front drivers seat dont have to move and lock in possition steering locks can be removed air bags and meny other thing and what has the dvla got to do with it

• Dave c
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2012 20:19 #40667 by Dave c
Replied by Dave c on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
I have spent years developing SJ bit properly only to have my ideas ripped off by total bodgers for 1/2 the money. To engineer things properly costs money if you are in any doubt look at a Honda motorbike and then a Hondu 1/2 the money and a heap of rubbish

More
19 May 2012 16:49 #40709 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: so what do guys want ?

Rockwatt wrote:

kirkynut wrote: So you have suspension under development then Richard?!? I might hold off on buying any castor corrected arms and see what you're suspension's all about then! Do you have any time scale on it being ready?

Kirkynut

yes a resigned suspension "system" is on the cards. And it won't just be a set of caster correction arms. But it will be strictly offroad only!
If you still have my number give me a call :wink:

Ah Poo - for off road only! I understand why though with the cost of product liability insurance etc and making stuff that works off road work well enough on the roads when the two diciplines are at odds with each other!

Not to worry - I will keep an eye out for when your website goes live though - post on here when it does to save us all keep trying to access it if you can though please Richard! I'll then see what else you have going on!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
21 May 2012 10:34 - 21 May 2012 10:34 #40846 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
I also second the second alternator mounting - no pun intended!

markyp2000 wrote: not acording to the mot meating i went on at the start of the year if used for race and has to be road leagle for safety resons
front drivers seat dont have to move and lock in possition steering locks can be removed air bags and meny other thing and what has the dvla got to do with it

I think he means VOSA who are ever present at the side of the roads these days!

What did they say if the vehicle is not used for race of competition though and is just for playing like wot I does - how should the tester view it then?

Some of these rules are starting to get to be a pain in the back side!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 21 May 2012 10:34 by kirkynut.

More
30 Jun 2012 08:59 #43220 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
Hi Redacted

Just wondered if you are any closer on deciding which ideas you can take forward, or which are even viable?

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• Rockwatt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2012 11:01 #43224 by Rockwatt
Replied by Rockwatt on topic Re: so what do guys want ?

Obarno wrote: Hi Redacted

Just wondered if you are any closer on deciding which ideas you can take forward, or which are even viable?

I'll be attacking most of them even the wheel arches but over the next few months I'll be moving and building a custom built workshop. So I'm in limbo for a little while.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2012 14:54 #43233 by markyp2000
I think he means VOSA who are ever present at the side of the roads these days!

What did they say if the vehicle is not used for race of competition though and is just for playing like wot I does - how should the tester view it then?

Some of these rules are starting to get to be a pain in the back side!!!

Kirkynut[/quote]

alright then modified for offroad/race use but need to be road legal in other ways

More
01 Jul 2012 14:02 - 01 Jul 2012 15:07 #43301 by dirtydogz
A bracket that is drilled so that it bolts on to the front chassis brackets so you can use the original arms and bushes , so you don't need to fit correct bushes on a 2"+3" lift.
+ brackets that bolts on to the chassis with holes drilled, for the front and back pan hard rods from 2" to 3" so you can use the original rods as fitted to Panosd jimny.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jul 2012 15:07 by dirtydogz.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2012 14:50 #43307 by markyp2000
im liking that mod lots :) :laugh: :cheer: :woohoo:

• blakey2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2012 11:24 #43383 by blakey2000
Replied by blakey2000 on topic Re: so what do guys want ?
what about a new bracket for fitting the steering stabilizer/damper/RTC to the tie rod and axle rather then the steering arm and chassis? as i have been told it is a better way to have it fitted / works better

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds