BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2020 20:57 #222514 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
Black Raptor yes, Trailmaster what's the point in a 2" lift then fit a 1" bump stop on the front???????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2020 21:16 - 18 May 2020 21:19 #222515 by mlines
In my opinion the bump stops are an integral part of a live axle suspension. It is possible to over compress a spring or punch through the end stop of a shock on the compressing side.

Once the compressed side stops compressing against the bump stop then the car starts to transfer weight to the extending side which you want (to a point, you don't want to roll of course). You need to other side to have weight on it so the wheel grips the surface. I have seen some "high flex" which are really just where a wheel has dropped to the ground ("great flex mate!") but then just spins the wheel as there is no downside on it.

On my 3.5 inch lift on the Gen3 Jimny, extended bump stops have definitely improve the way it crosses bumpy ground

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 18 May 2020 21:19 by mlines.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2020 21:34 #222516 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Re:Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
Front axel hitting front brace member. That's where Trailmaster were to quick to offer a lift kit. All other 50mm kits compensate for this.

More
18 May 2020 21:37 - 18 May 2020 21:41 #222517 by mlines
Sorry, but I have not seen the 50mm Trailmaster hit the prop, I will keep an eye on it of course.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 18 May 2020 21:41 by mlines.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2020 21:58 #222518 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Re:Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
In other kits brackets for lowering the front brace member are fitted so there is no need to add extra bump stops on the front axel. Therefore losing no articulation.

• Lasse
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2020 21:58 #222519 by Lasse
Replied by Lasse on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
What about the steering damper - anyone who has upgraded that when fitted a lift kit..?

More
18 May 2020 22:48 #222520 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
Some form of castor correction is a good idea. Steering dampers don't fix anything, they just mask existing issues.

More
19 May 2020 05:08 - 19 May 2020 05:09 #222521 by mlines

Grima wrote: In other kits brackets for lowering the front brace member are fitted so there is no need to add extra bump stops on the front axel. Therefore losing no articulation.

I think you are mis-understanding the layout of the axle, cross-member and bump stops.

The prop sits above the cross member. Therefore if the axle drops too much then the prop hits the cross member.. the cross member relocation brackets lower the cross member ( reducing ground clearance - see other argument LOL! ) which allows longer (above 50mm ) springs ie a greater lift. The bump stops stop the axle going up, so are not related to the cross member.

Trailmaster lifts tend to be slightly conservative. A 50mm lift comes out around 45mm. Other kits come out generous, I have seen 50mm kits based on the raptor style springs come out at 60-70mm. Indeed I fitted one to a Gen3 once and it was easily 3 inches. This could be why they have to supply drop brackets, to compensate for long springs. Some spring suppliers simply add 50mm to spring height to achieve 50mm lift instead of designing the spring, this seems to create generous length springs.

Martin

Last edit: 19 May 2020 05:09 by mlines.

More
19 May 2020 06:28 - 19 May 2020 07:01 #222523 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
Hi I hope you're all well.

Unfortunately - based on my personal experience - I do not recommend Trailmaster lift kit. I have a 50mm comfort kit since 2017. First issue was it did not cure the Jimny lean at all. Together with a 38mm spacer above the OSF spring it still leaves 20mm height difference at the rear (OS is lower). Second issue was after 3000 miles drive the off-side rear shock started leaking oil. Had to be replaced. Third issue is the rust! Shocks were already a little bit rusty at the bottom-end when got delivered. After three years this got worse and by now also all four springs rusted from inside-out, resulting flaking power coating. To save my 'investment' I had to take them out, removed all rust and repainted them. No sagging noticed yet. I'd expected better rust prevention to be honest and a little bit more smart engineering to address Jimny lean. Perhaps they made in China as everything else nowadays? Definiately not a long lasting product in my opinion.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 19 May 2020 07:01 by HUN.

• Lasse
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2020 09:07 #222533 by Lasse
Replied by Lasse on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
How difficult is it to replace the caster bushings..? Do you need a press or..?

More
19 May 2020 09:35 #222536 by DAGZOOK
Ideally you need a press to remove the OE bushings. That being said I poly bushed my BMW Z3 and to remove the old bushings, the rubber part of the bush was cut out using an oscillating multi tool, then the race was slotted using a hacksaw and the old bush then just taps out.

The above method only works if you're installing poly bushes, because they are a super easy DIY install, no special tools required!

More
19 May 2020 16:56 #222546 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor

DAGZOOK wrote: Ideally you need a press to remove the OE bushings. That being said I poly bushed my BMW Z3 and to remove the old bushings, the rubber part of the bush was cut out using an oscillating multi tool, then the race was slotted using a hacksaw and the old bush then just taps out.

The above method only works if you're installing poly bushes, because they are a super easy DIY install, no special tools required!

That is interesting to read as I got these CORRECTION BUSHES with my lift kit and I was wondering if screwed rod, nut bolts and spacers would be enough to get them in. Just a quick squeeze through the bag didn't feel like any give in them.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds