BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor

More
19 May 2020 17:08 - 19 May 2020 17:08 #222547 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
The new bushes are easy to get in, the old ones are a bugger to remove....

If you haven't got access to a press, the method most use is to drill the rubber out, slit the outer casing with a hacksaw and fold it in to release it. Pretty easy to do with simple tools.

The poly bushes are in two parts and simply push in by hand, the steel steel centre bush holds them together when they are loose...

sniper
Last edit: 19 May 2020 17:08 by sniper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2020 18:02 - 19 May 2020 18:03 #222548 by Scimike
As Sniper said, drill out the rubber and then hacksaw outer casing. I've done quite a few like this on my Land Rover, you can get them out fairly quickly and Polly bush are a dream to fit after.
The only suggestion is use a hole saw (pick size to go over centre bush) rather than a drill. It's quicker and you can't snap it off in the rubber which is always possible with a drill.
Like this
www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-multi-materia...w-uNTIhoC8W4QAvD_BwE
But get correct size!
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 19 May 2020 18:03 by Scimike.

More
19 May 2020 18:45 #222549 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
Thanks, I was actually more worried about fitting the new ones once the old was out. I have never used Polly bushes before so was worried how much pressure is needed to get them in.

Is it best to fit them assembled or fit the Polly outer first, then press in the steel insert?

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 May 2020 19:08 #222551 by Lambert
I had to replace a couple of arm bushes for a mot a fee years ago. I did the first with all thread and nuts etc. I bought a press to do the others.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 May 2020 20:04 #222553 by Soeley
Just found these videos, I really didn't think they would go in that easy going by the feel of them.

More
19 May 2020 20:30 #222554 by sniper
Soeley, sorry mate those are one piece... You will have to use a threaded bar and socket, if you don't have a press..... Spoke before I saw...;)

sniper

More
19 May 2020 20:47 #222555 by Soeley
No worries, I'd not even opened the bag so didn't know myself lol

More
20 May 2020 08:36 #222561 by 300bhpton
Personally I hate doing bushes. Make sure you orientate those new ones correctly, being castor corrected they only fit correctly in one place.

I'd say fitting that single poly one might be fun..... as can getting the old ones out. When I did my front arms on my Land Rover, I thought I'd try the drilling the rubber out. Resorted to the press in the end. One needed about 12 tonnes of pressure to pop it out.

That said, smaller car like bushes I've done on a vice before. Still not fun though.

More
20 May 2020 10:00 - 20 May 2020 10:03 #222564 by DAGZOOK

Soeley wrote:

DAGZOOK wrote: Ideally you need a press to remove the OE bushings. That being said I poly bushed my BMW Z3 and to remove the old bushings, the rubber part of the bush was cut out using an oscillating multi tool, then the race was slotted using a hacksaw and the old bush then just taps out.

The above method only works if you're installing poly bushes, because they are a super easy DIY install, no special tools required!

That is interesting to read as I got these CORRECTION BUSHES with my lift kit and I was wondering if screwed rod, nut bolts and spacers would be enough to get them in. Just a quick squeeze through the bag didn't feel like any give in them.

Soeley I can only speak for the power flex bushes that I bought as a full car kit for my Z3, but all of the poly bushes came in split halves that are assembled VERY easily by hand with some silicone lubricant (usually provided) you then push the steel bush through the centre again by hand. Looks like you caster correction bushes are one piece!

There's different hardness ratings of poly bushes, I think the unit of measurement for this is defined in 'SHORE'? In terms of the powerflex range, the black bushes are the firmest - purple are the most comparable to a rubber OE bush. But the assembly method is exactly the same :)

Installation wise, they normally supply a little sachet of silicone lube :silly: either a bench vice job, or threaded bar and washers will be needed to install those.

Check out this videos which illustrates the removal method that I used for the OE bush. (chain drill & hacksaw) other methods like an oscillating multi tool & hole saw would work great too.

www.powerflex.co.uk/fitting-guides
Last edit: 20 May 2020 10:03 by DAGZOOK.

More
20 May 2020 13:21 #222575 by 300bhpton
Remember the lube is not just for fitment. It is integral on how a poly bush works, as the centre insert is held tight when bolted down and the insert should be rotating inside the polly. Rubber bushes are bonded and rely on the stretching/compressing of the rubber through a twisting action.

More
20 May 2020 13:34 #222577 by sniper

300bhpton wrote: Remember the lube is not just for fitment. It is integral on how a poly bush works, as the centre insert is held tight when bolted down and the insert should be rotating inside the polly. Rubber bushes are bonded and rely on the stretching/compressing of the rubber through a twisting action.

They are castor correction bushes.... You would hope that the centre's don't rotate, you would have variable castor angle...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sniper

More
20 May 2020 13:45 #222578 by DAGZOOK
+2 I had some powerflex rear control arm bushes on the Z3 that had a knurled centre pin designed to grip and not rotate.

All depends on the type/style and function of the bush I guess.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds