BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

tow bar

More
25 Aug 2015 08:00 #150570 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic tow bar
The Jimny is "old school" there are no plug in connectors and you have to break in to the rear loom.
You could solder the connections and use heat shrink sleeving if you don't want to use the Scotch method.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2015 08:15 - 25 Aug 2015 08:19 #150576 by facade
Replied by facade on topic tow bar
When I had a Rangerover, you took one of the rear lights out and there was a dedicated connector to plug the (£100) genuine harness into, so you simply scotchloked to those wires. (They kindly brought the other indicator to that side for you)

There is a Suzuki plug in harness available 990E0-84A21-000 , I imagine it fits like the one for my Other Car, you unplug all the lights, and the harness comes with sockets that take the plugs to the lights, and plugs that then go to the lights.

I didn't buy one for The Other Car, as you had to take the whole car apart, to run wires to the connectors for each light, I had to do that anyway, and it was about £80.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 25 Aug 2015 08:19 by facade.

More
25 Aug 2015 09:11 #150578 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic tow bar
There is a connector or connectors deepening on year that is undernear side rear light. It's a bumper off job to get to them

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• Brooklynodog
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2015 18:36 - 25 Aug 2015 18:37 #150611 by Brooklynodog
Replied by Brooklynodog on topic tow bar
"Simple" job getting more complicated, lol. Bar I have bought does not require bumper removal, but if there is a connector there it would be worth it. How hard is it? I was disapointed to discover there is no Haynes manual for the Jimny by the way. Mine is 56 (07) JLX VVT
Last edit: 25 Aug 2015 18:37 by Brooklynodog.

More
25 Aug 2015 19:14 #150614 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic tow bar

I was disapointed to discover there is no Haynes manual for the Jimny by the way.

You, and hundreds more :sick:

About all there is available without spending zillions is a £5 CD off ebay....not bad, but certainly not Haynes :whistle:

Gus :)

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2015 20:11 #150620 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic tow bar
Hi, even though the towbar you have bought says bumper removal not needed you will find it easier and quicker to remove the bumper and also to wire it up :)

• JimnyGlenn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2015 22:32 #150645 by JimnyGlenn
Replied by JimnyGlenn on topic tow bar
Has anyone ever fit the original OEM bar and electrics?

More
26 Aug 2015 05:10 #150649 by fozzie
Replied by fozzie on topic tow bar

Brooklynodog wrote: "Simple" job getting more complicated, lol. Bar I have bought does not require bumper removal, but if there is a connector there it would be worth it. How hard is it? I was disapointed to discover there is no Haynes manual for the Jimny by the way. Mine is 56 (07) JLX VVT

I couldn't find a connector on my car and it's the same year, also It doesn't show a connector on the wiring diagram I found on the internet. I fed the cable up through the rubber grommet in the rear nearside corner where the rear light electrics come out and soldered the wires into the loom.

(Don't forget you need the gizmo that beeps when your trailer is plugged in to tell you that the trailer indicators are working. Very easy to install.)

If you are relatively close, I can give you a hand. I'm near Brighton.

2012 Jimny Black. Totally standard (except for rear seat removal mod).

More
26 Aug 2015 07:57 - 26 Aug 2015 08:09 #150657 by gilburton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI never had to remove the bumper on my car.
If I remember correctly I did loosen the rear box.

You can break in to the rear lights by just removing them and the wires are there going through the bumper grommet..
If you obtain some extra trailer wire (if your existing wire isn't long enough) you just need to run it along the towbar to each rear light and insert through the rubber grommets in to the space behind the rear lights.
Insert each wire individually through the grommet. It's dry behind there.
All you do then is connect them to the various wires using whichever method you want.
You can earth the trailer wire to the chassis or use the car wiring.
If you do have to extend the wires you can use a waterproof junction box.

On my first Jimny I did just that and I also removed the upper(dummy) l/h lens and although it's tight you can get at the wiring there as well.

If you just intend to tow a trailer (especially an old trailer with no fog/reversing light)you'll probably get away with not connecting the reverse/fog light.
Unless it's changed recently the 7 pin sockets are not tested on the MOT although if you go for a euro 13 pin it will need to work.

If you're not sure or don't feel competent enough possibly it might be better to get someone in to wire it??

Last edit: 26 Aug 2015 08:09 by gilburton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brooklynodog

More
26 Aug 2015 14:19 #150674 by facade
Replied by facade on topic tow bar

gilburton wrote: If you just intend to tow a trailer (especially an old trailer with no fog/reversing light)you'll probably get away with not connecting the reverse/fog light.

The black 7 pin socket is all you need for a trailer, (unless you have a new caravan with a 13pin plug) it provides indicators, sidelights brake-lights, and a rear fog light that you don't need. :whistle:

The grey 7 pin socket provides the reverse light that you do need :evil: , power for the fridge, and power to charge the battery. (you need to run dirty great wires from the battery to wire these anyway)

I'd much rather have a reverse light than a rear fog lamp, but the rear fog lamp is compulsory (even though it only gets switched on at MOT) and a reverse light isn't :blink:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brooklynodog

More
28 Aug 2015 20:19 #150873 by gilburton
I don't suppose there is enough demand for someone to produce an adapter.
When I fitted my towbar I searched the internet and couldn't find anything or anywhere listing a wiring adapter for the Jimny.
On the good side there are no electronics or cambus to worry about so anyone who understands basic wiring can fit it.

• Brooklynodog
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2015 11:17 #151291 by Brooklynodog
Replied by Brooklynodog on topic tow bar
Having real problems, cant see much benefit from removing the bumper, but just cannot get it up past the exhaust on the off side. It seems the only way is either remove the wheel or the exhaust. Unsure about the exhaust, but as I am using ramps I cant take the wheel off! Can anyone shed any light please? Going to have to leave it for now

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds