BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Where are all the cv posts

• markmano
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2017 16:16 #177419 by markmano
Where are all the cv posts was created by markmano
I must be going mad!
Popped the nearside cv and thought I'd order one easily but
1.Cv and shaft appear to be joined together by witchcraft, you can see they're seperate but you can't split em.
2.There's no spare CV joints on this site or not what I can find anyway.
3.There's no Haynes manual for a Jimny
4.There's no posts from anyone with similar problem.

54 plate auto. Cv is 8 ball bearing type passenger side with long shaft.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hannah-jg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2017 17:19 #177429 by hannah-jg
Replied by hannah-jg on topic Where are all the cv posts
To remove the cv off the shaft....
i find putting the shaft end into a piece of metal pipe thats longer than the shaft then dropping it vertically so the end of the pipe hits the floor and "pushes up" and it will pop the CV off, just watch it doesn't fly off and hit you ;) or loose the small clip.
Haynes manual- can't help with I'm afraid
CV ebay has them or local motor factors, i would assume on a 54 plate you want the one with less splines..... i think from memory, but I'm sure someone will come along and correct me :)

More
28 Jan 2017 19:04 - 28 Jan 2017 19:08 #177440 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Where are all the cv posts
How to change them is here in the Wiki - its always worth looking in the Wiki.

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/CV_...CV_joint_information

The Wiki has links to the CVs which are in the BigJimny Store (although just awaiting further stock)

The Type 1 is available overnight www.bigjimny.com/store/cv-joint-type-1.html
The Type 2 is due in again soon www.bigjimny.com/store/cv-joint-type-2.html

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 28 Jan 2017 19:08 by mlines.

• markmano
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2017 20:00 #177441 by markmano
Replied by markmano on topic Where are all the cv posts
Ok great so I have to force shaft out of cv to break it off hidden circlip? That's gonna do the circling groove no good at all I might just cut the cv so I can find this clip. I'm considering getting replacement axle though as no oil came out when I stripped it meaning crown wheel and pinions will have suffered, hub bearing grease was very poor too and steering knuckle is pitted meaning it was probably left standing for a long time at some point. Overhauling each side is looking like £150 each now at this rate and that's if I'm lucky enough to find the super rare 8 ball cvs that are in mine. Bit gutted to be honest.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2017 20:08 #177443 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Where are all the cv posts
Yes. There's a circlip you have to break somehow.

More
28 Jan 2017 20:20 #177444 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Where are all the cv posts
Easy enough to free the cv from the snap-ring.....kinda gives a clue with it's name no?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2017 20:33 #177449 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Where are all the cv posts
I think you're the first one I've ever seen mentioning that it's easy to remove a shaft from a CV ;)

More
28 Jan 2017 20:44 #177450 by mlines
You do not need to break the circlip, the trick is to hold the joint very straight when driving it off.

But if they are pretty much joined together then what makes you think it is an issue because generally they explode into bits when they fail

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
28 Jan 2017 20:45 #177452 by mlines
And pitting of the ball is of no consequence, just rub it down with filler.

What exactly are the symptoms you are trying to cure?

Martin

More
28 Jan 2017 20:57 #177454 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Where are all the cv posts

TomDK wrote: I think you're the first one I've ever seen mentioning that it's easy to remove a shaft from a CV ;)

A piece of tube to slide over the shaft and mate with the hub of the joint slide it in a downward direction until it hits the floor and you have it removed....brinell free.....strip clean reassemble.

• markmano
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2017 07:45 #177459 by markmano
Replied by markmano on topic Where are all the cv posts
I tried clamping shaft in vice about 4"down ie not on seal surface then put spacers upto bottom of cv so when I levered stub shaft it was pulling in an upwards motion. I'll try a bit harder next time now I know it's a snap ring. Cv not blown to pieces just one piece of cage broke but it's broke for sure. Can't I just put 6 ball cvs in and matching shafts if they're easier to find. Are these stronger than the 8 ball type?

Thanks for all the help I'm new to Jimnys but it looks like I'll be learning a lot!

Also I didn't mark up vacuum pipes but assume I can trace them to find correct one.

Might remove ABS ring too as it's daft I need to strip bearing to replace the 4 hub bolts. I'll be putting high tensile bolts back in there too those things were soft as muck!!

More
29 Jan 2017 11:18 #177467 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Where are all the cv posts
In The Olden Days I just used to hold the driveshaft upright in one hand, and whack the joint down with a mallet and they would fly off. (usually missing the carefully positioned cardboard box- good job I'm not a bomber pilot)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keithy

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds