BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tell me about CB's

More
11 Jun 2016 11:21 - 11 Jun 2016 11:22 #168343 by mark98
Tell me about CB's was created by mark98
I'm looking to get a CB in the Jimny, having nearly got lost while green laning with a local group. I know very little about CB's, so any help would be appreciated. Looking to spend less than £100 preferably. I have been suggested this one: www.thunderpole.co.uk/mobile-cbs/midland-210-ds.html. But I have found what I presume is a full kit for not much more money: www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-packs/thu...off-roader-pack.html. Anybody use either of these?

This is where I would like to mount it, under the ash tray, in front of the gearstick, so any pictures of what others have done would be helpful. Thanks! :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jun 2016 11:22 by mark98.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2016 14:01 #168349 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Tell me about CB's
That starter kit is fine for your green lane use. What mount are you looking at for the Jim?
I know they state that the aerials are pre-tuned but i would still check it with a SWR meter. :unsure:

• StealthJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2016 16:59 #168364 by StealthJimny
Replied by StealthJimny on topic Tell me about CB's
I have the Off roader Its really good easy to set up and it works lol. I got this instead of the starter pack as apparently it can take abuse more than the others. just make sure you read up on groundplane and earthing as this does have an effect.

More
11 Jun 2016 18:25 #168374 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Tell me about CB's
The Thunderpole one will be fine for what you want. Get an SWR meter when you order it and do tune it by changing the length of the aerial as I had to cut over an inch off mine to tune it well. They say they are pre tuned but I have found otherwise!

Thunderpole tell you all about groundplanes and swr tuning on their website.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark98

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2016 18:59 #168376 by 1066Boy
Ground plane is the tricky part. Just depends what you are looking for performance wise! :evil:

More
12 Jun 2016 12:38 #168401 by mark98
Replied by mark98 on topic Tell me about CB's
Cheers chaps, helpful info. Probably going to get a 7" mag mount, that way I could remove the aerial if I needed to.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2016 12:46 #168403 by 1066Boy
Thats what i use. :) If you get snagged on a low tree it just slides off. I have used gutter
mounts etc in the past and it makes a mess when it gets ripped off. :(

More
12 Jun 2016 15:07 #168405 by mark98
Will using a mag mount create a good ground plane, or do I need run a wire to the metal work? As far as I can tell, a mag mount should achieve a decent ground plane.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2016 15:20 #168407 by 1066Boy
The mag mount on its own will be very good. In an ideal world, near the center of the roof.
But it will still work well off center, just altering the shape of the radiated signal. B)

More
12 Jun 2016 15:26 #168408 by mark98
Thanks, about to put my order in! Should be here next week I'm hoping. :)

More
14 Jun 2016 20:47 #168571 by mark98
All fitted now. :)

I went to check the SWR, and either my setup was perfect or I did something wrong when checking it as the needle on meter didn't move. I followed the instructions that came with the meter, but I couldn't seem to make head nor tail of what I was meant to be doing. How do you check the SWR?
Attachments:

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2016 17:34 - 15 Jun 2016 17:35 #168618 by 1066Boy
Connect the aerial to the SWR meter then the short lead from the meter to the back of the CB.
Set the CB to channel 20. The SWR meter should have a Forward/reflected switch.
Set to forward, key the mike and the needle should go up. Adjust the knob on the SWR meter
until the reading is 100% (all the way right.) The meter is now calibrated. :)
Change the switch on the meter to reflected and key the mike. This will give you your reading.
You are looking for a reading of 1.5 :1 or lower. Any higher it can damage the cb. The lower
the number, the better the match of antenna to radio wave. :)

Hope that makes sense, it did to me as i was typing it. :laugh:
Last edit: 15 Jun 2016 17:35 by 1066Boy.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds