BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tell me about CB's

More
15 Jun 2016 19:38 - 15 Jun 2016 19:39 #168631 by mark98
Replied by mark98 on topic Tell me about CB's
Followed all the instructions, but every time I do it, no matter what channel, I always get this reading. Everything's plugged in correctly, any ideas what the problem might be? :unsure:

Edit: I don't know why the pictures upside down, quirks of the forum I guess! :silly:
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jun 2016 19:39 by mark98.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2016 20:14 #168633 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Tell me about CB's
Thats way too high!
1st, Set the meter as i said on channel 20.
2nd, leaving the setting as is, check reflected reading on channel 1 and 40.
You should get 2 different readings if the antenna is out of tune.
If you get the same reading on 1 & 40 after setting the meter on 20, start checking
the coax cable for damage. :(

More
15 Jun 2016 20:31 #168636 by mark98

1066Boy wrote: Thats way too high!
1st, Set the meter as i said on channel 20.
2nd, leaving the setting as is, check reflected reading on channel 1 and 40.
You should get 2 different readings if the antenna is out of tune.
If you get the same reading on 1 & 40 after setting the meter on 20, start checking
the coax cable for damage. :(

I thought it wasn't right. I'll look at the cable tomorrow. Hopefully its not damaged, didn't look it when I ran it through the car. :dry:

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2016 20:35 #168637 by 1066Boy
I have sent you a pm. :)

More
16 Jun 2016 16:47 #168674 by mark98
Right, I've had some minor success. By removing the rubber protector boot thong off the base of the mag mount, I've been able to get the SWR down to around 2.8-3, which is still far too high. I presume the aerial and coax cable are all functional as while doing a test, I got quite a surprise when I heard some voices coming through radio, talking in an indeterminate foreign language. So, I think I may potentially have a fairly serious ground plane issue, as there are no obvious problems with the coax cable. Any ideas how to lower the SWR further?

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2016 19:54 #168686 by 1066Boy
It may be a silly question but is the cb set to EU rather than UK? :blink:

More
16 Jun 2016 21:11 #168691 by mark98
Set to UK, so I'm at a total loss as to what the problem is. :dry:

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2016 23:06 - 16 Jun 2016 23:10 #168698 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic Tell me about CB's
As "Kirkynut" wrote earlier in this topic, you can cut the aerial to get an optimal reading on the SWR-meter !
I did had the same issue with my CB and this is what the salesman/technician of my CB did to my installation.
First of all he did loosen up a little bit the screw that is on the bottom on the side of the metal rod from your aerial-foot.
This metal rod you can push completely down into this foot and then you lift it a little bit up but make sure the metal rod can be tightened up with te screw, so the ideal position should be somewhere in the middle of both positions.
The reason for him doing this is "finetuning" in the "reflected" knob position on your SWR meter when you're nearly on the lowest SWR reading.
The first readings were too high so he did cut some little bit off from the aerial, calibrated the SWR-meter again (on forward) and then did the test "on reflected", if these readings are still too high just cut again a minor piece from the aerial, calibrate SWR again (on forward) and do the test again "on reflected"... do this until you have a low reading "on reflected" on your SWR-meter.
Take care : if you see that you are getting lower readings "on reflected" don't cut to much from your aerial or you have to start all over again. Then if you're nearly at the lowest reading you can finetune your aerial by loosen the screw on the bottom and put the aerial a little bit down or up until you have the lowest reading.
The ideal should be that the SWR readings on channel 1 and 40 should be as close as can be but the reading on channel 40 will always be higher.
If you do these tests also make sure that you are not in the near of metal roof's or pillars !

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jun 2016 23:10 by JuanGuillie.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2016 06:04 #168704 by 1066Boy
Do you know somebody with a good antenna that you can try in your mount ?
Worth checking you have not got a duff SWR meter before trimming the antenna.
Sometimes trimming is necessary but very little. As said before, loosen the grub screw at
the bottom of the antenna and try moving the whip up or down a few mm at a time before
cutting. Its a bugger to stick bits back on! :evil:

More
17 Jun 2016 06:14 #168705 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Tell me about CB's
Mark I know that you've invested in a mag mount but if you're not getting on with it, people have successfully mounted an aerial on the spare wheel mount with the spare wheel in place. I did it once!

This is what it would be like:
www.google.co.uk/search?q=suzuki+jimny+s...rc=wfLVMAuf-WXnOM%3A

I have seen them for Land Rover Discoveries too but cannot find any for sale.

They're not too hard to make. I think I've thrown my old one out that I made or I'd post it to you!

The mag mount ought to just work as it comes though. It has a built in ground plane. Perhaps find someone nearby with a cb and just make sure you can hear them within a reasonable distance.

Mine is all tuned in perfectly and I tuned a friend's one in and we set off home in different directions and could hear each other for about 4 miles on and off with tower blocks in the way. I'd not expect that from a mag mount though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark98

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2016 06:43 #168706 by 1066Boy

kirkynut wrote:
Mine is all tuned in perfectly and I tuned a friend's one in and we set off home in different directions and could hear each other for about 4 miles on and off with tower blocks in the way. I'd not expect that from a mag mount though.

Kirkynut

Mag mount works fine. My average range is 5 miles, up to 15 miles if on a high spot. :)
The antenna tuning and ground plane is the important bit. Center mounted antenna will give best performance
in all directions. Rear mounts work well but the shape of the ground plane will make the signal more powerful
forward and weaker behind you. :)

More
17 Jun 2016 07:33 #168709 by mark98
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to move the mount around on the roof to see if that helps. If that fails, then I will find somebody about locally who has fitted a CB to a Jimny, so I can try a good antenna in my mount. I'll also see if there SWR meter reads different to mine.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds