BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tell me about CB's

• Zook123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2016 08:08 #168711 by Zook123
Replied by Zook123 on topic Tell me about CB's
Mag Mounts I found were terrible, i've got a side mount fitted to the rear door, SWR is perfect.

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2016 09:15 #168715 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic Tell me about CB's
Or you could place your aerial with magnetfoot as seen on the picture below, i just did put a extra "security-strap" around it.
Offcourse when you change the position of your aerial you have to do some new SWR readings and tuning of it.

Later i did put it on top of the roof for the better result i did get on this position, even it is a soft-top Jimny.
To avoid as much as possible the aerial to get sweaped of by branches i don't tighten too hard the screw that regulates the inclination (angle) of the aerial, so if it is hit, the aerial gets flat on the roof without taking the magnetfoot off.
Until now i only had it knocked off twice on low speed because the branches did already touched the front screen so you did now what was coming up next on top of the roof... ;)
A quick stop to put it all straight up again and off we went again.

Attachments:

More
17 Jun 2016 09:47 #168723 by mark98
Replied by mark98 on topic Tell me about CB's
I would put the mag mount on the back door, but my mount only allows the aerial out vertical, so it would stick out about 1.5 metres behind my car! I have also already knocked it off the roof on the road, so unless I can sort my SWR problems, the mag mount will be going back to whence it came. :angry:

After moving it around the roof, trying various locations, I couldn't get the SWR low enough still. I did find that best readings came from when I was getting irritated I stuck it on the side like so: :silly:

While the SWR was then around 2 on channel 40 and about 3 on channel 1, this mounting location is not practical and the SWR is still far too high!
Attachments:

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2016 12:00 #168732 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic Tell me about CB's
Some questions and remarks :
- Am i right that you're CB is powered through the cigarette-lighter, not ideal, better is directly to battery (with fuse).
- Keep your aerial cable away from wiper motor and bobines.
- To check your aerial-cable : take a multimeter and measure the ground on both sides from you're cable, do the same thing with the centre of your cable (+), if the meter gives a correct reading then the cable is OK.
- To test your SWR-meter : do the readings as normal and write down the results, then you disconnect your SWR-meter and put the cables the wrong way around into the SWR-meter, and SWITCH the knob from FORWARD to REFLECTION.
If you have a lot of difference between the two readings then your SWR-meter is not working properly !

To calibrate the SWR-meter : if you have 40 channels (FM) you should calibrate this on channel 20 (middle channel), if you change then to another channel again you have to calibrate the SWR-meter on that new chosen channel.
This is only needed during the set-up for your inatallation.
You do a reading on channel 1 and a reading on channel 40, the difference between channel 1 and channel 40 should not be too big and channel 40 will be normally a little bit higher then the reading on channel 1.
If the reading on channel 40 is to high you should shorten the length of the aerial, if the reading on channel 1 is to high then the aerial should be made longer.
It sure take's some time to do it properly but if you transmit during a longer period you can blow up the internals from your CB !
If you're not getting it right then go to a CB-shop and ask if they can do the readings and calibrating for you.

More
17 Jun 2016 12:19 #168734 by mark98
Mine is indeed powered through the cigarette lighter. I have checked with a multimeter I couldn't see anything wrong with the readings. I'll have another look later this afternoon, if I'm still struggling I'll find a radio shop around somewhere.

More
17 Jun 2016 15:01 #168743 by mark98
After fiddling around, I have now got the SWR down below 2.5 for the first time, across the channel range. I don't think it is possible to get any lower, as my aerial needs to be longer, and I have run out adjustment (unless there is a way to increase the aerial length??).

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds