BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
05 Jan 2017 19:25 #176271 by X8GGY

Daniel30 wrote: Don't think there is another mod you could do to that animal is there Dave? B) B) B)

There's always something Dan! ;)

I'm not happy with how far up and out the Safari Snorkel head sits, it's always getting knocked by trees for some reason? :evil:

So I've bought a Southdown Land Rover head :blush: and a couple of 45 degree elbows to re-route it so that it's at the top of the windscreen and under the roof bar rather than sitting there like a target!

And some shiney bits arrived in Bits4Vits World Headquarters this morning -

HD adjustable anti roll bar drop links from SuperPro (had a large order of bushes in this morning), and we ('our little group') had been discussing the length of drop links the other day when I managed to destroy one by scraping it across a part of Planet Earth ;) I thought we should fit longer ones, but the concensus was that they should actually be shorter, and then I spotted these advertised in Oz', and managed to get some from SuperPro Europe...

Just need some spannering time, and a bit of warmth would be nice! ;)
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
More
05 Jan 2017 19:30 #176273 by X8GGY
Oooh, and also... I keep losing side repeaters for some reason?...

Another chat within 'our little group' and one of the members (Russ from JimnyBits ;) ) came up with this idea -

So I'm waiting for a pair of them when they reach production too B)
Attachments:
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2017 23:05 #176291 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Ueah see what your saying Dave they all look good

Will they produce the indicator cage? :woohoo:
More
06 Jan 2017 09:50 #176302 by X8GGY

Daniel30 wrote: Ueah see what your saying Dave they all look good

Will they produce the indicator cage? :woohoo:

I think so? That's a photo of the prototype :)

Russ asked us for a list of bits we'd like to see produced for the Jimny ;)

On the mods list... I'd also like to finally get round to swapping my seats, I've got a nice pair of reclining (not that they will go down there's a cage in the way, but they will adjust) padded bucket seats to go in, rather than my long-serving waterproof bucket... I'm getting old and have lost a fair bit of weight, so it's getting a bit unforgiving on my old boney bum! ;)

LOL
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2017 11:27 #176304 by Daniel30
Some rear light guards would be nice like the Land Rover ones bumper and body lights ;)

Is it the ones you bought for the buggy project ? They looked really nice

I'm getting older and putting on weight :woohoo:
More
06 Jan 2017 13:00 #176306 by maverick

S200KYS wrote: Oooh, and also... I keep losing side repeaters for some reason?...

Another chat within 'our little group' and one of the members (Russ from JimnyBits ;) ) came up with this idea -

So I'm waiting for a pair of them when they reach production too B)

Blimey, where do you go to do this much damage???

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
06 Jan 2017 14:55 #176310 by X8GGY

maverick wrote: Blimey, where do you go to do this much damage???

Following some nutter in a green Jimny? ;)

:P
More
01 Feb 2017 22:24 - 01 Feb 2017 22:33 #177645 by X8GGY
Hmmm, I've not updated this build / ongoing build thread for a while?! I've been quite happy with the blue S200KYS Jimny, and it's been performing well in all "our little groups" greenlaning adventures...

The one little thing that's always plagued most of our Jimnys, on the "Tight & Scratchy" greenlanes we love so much... is Snorkel Heads!

Snorkels were conceived mostly for hot sunny climes where the idea was to keep water out on river crossings, and dust ingress to a minimum while driving in "the outback"

But, that doesn't quite suit our environment of driving Tight & Scratchy 'lanes in the UK where the trees and their branches see the snorkel head as an easy target... Most of us have either replaced the (lost!) snorkel heads with plumbing elbows, or regularly stop to retrieve lost and broken heads, and their grills...

With this in mind, I started looking at my own genuine Safari Snorkel...!

See how the head sits UP and OUT

And FORWARD even....?

So, after a bit of thought and measuring... I drilled a small hole into the Safari Snorkel's rising tube and then stuck a small screwdriver in to work out the internal diameter of the pipe... I'd already bought a Southdown Land Rover snorkel head which I thought would be the right size, and visited my local plumbers' merchants and had a rummage through their black drainpipe fittings...

And then with angle grinder and reciprocating saw in hand, I decided to cut the top third off the Safari Snorkel..! :ohmy:

DISASTER! Although the internal diameter was right, where I'd cut wasn't circular internally! So I had to warm the plumbing elbows up with a heat gun (read blow torch!) and adapt it to fit...

The end result...

LUCKILY! Didn't look too bad (It looks better in real-life rather than the photos!)

A couple of 45o bends and the Southdown Snorkel Head bring it inside of the bodyline of the little Jimny...

And I then also added a protection guard of 1/2" steel bar around it...

Pop-riveted to the snorkel body, the guard will sweep branches up and over the snorkel head...

From above, the U-bend of the steel bar protects the small snorkel head...

Time will tell how it performs... But I'm hoping it will be "fit and forget";... It is now inside of the body-line and in the top corner of the windscreen, out of "Zone-A" and I've already checked with my MOT Tester and he's happy with it...

So it should, hopefully, just brush branches out of the way as we proceed down our beloved "Tight and Scratchy" 'lanes...? ;)
Last edit: 01 Feb 2017 22:33 by X8GGY.
  • Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2017 09:31 #177653 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Very good Dave, excellent idea that.

You should start making kits, you'll be well on your way to your first (second?) million £££!

I like the extra thought re the extra steel protection, many people would have moved the intake head inwards and then said job's a good 'un
More
02 Feb 2017 10:07 #177654 by X8GGY
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2017 12:40 - 02 Feb 2017 12:41 #177655 by Daniel30
Nice mod Dave B) like that snorkel bull bar :)
Last edit: 02 Feb 2017 12:41 by Daniel30.
More
02 Feb 2017 19:22 #177677 by X8GGY
LOL, thanks Dan, I like that! ;)

Dave
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds