BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
08 Aug 2016 08:13 #171105 by X8GGY
"Facilities" ?? :blink: - Angle Grinder, Small Pillar Drill and a MIG Welder Gus' ;)

Haven't got the facility to bend 6mm plate, so I cut most of the way through, bend and then weld it up... :blush:

Does the job though! :laugh:

Dave ;)
The topic has been locked.
More
08 Aug 2016 09:32 #171109 by gusthegorilla
By tomorrow I should be the proud owner of a big fat angle grinder ;)

Pillar drill is on the list....will never have a mig welder 'cos what power I have in my workshop comes off a genny, so that's out :whistle:

Think it's just as well I don't have a welder.....Ellie would be a full time garage widow. :evil:

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
More
08 Aug 2016 09:35 #171111 by X8GGY

gusthegorilla wrote: By tomorrow I should be the proud owner of a big fat angle grinder ;)

Pillar drill is on the list....will never have a mig welder 'cos what power I have in my workshop comes off a genny, so that's out :whistle:

Think it's just as well I don't have a welder.....Ellie would be a full time garage widow. :evil:

Wednesday... it's coming by ParcelForce 48 ;)
More
08 Aug 2016 09:40 #171112 by gusthegorilla
:P :P :P

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2016 09:52 #171114 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
You'll be able to trim your toe nails now Gus

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :P
More
08 Aug 2016 17:05 #171126 by gusthegorilla

Daniel30 wrote: You'll be able to trim your toe nails now Gus

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :P

No need...climbing trees all day keeps 'em short :P :P

More
17 Aug 2016 13:38 - 17 Aug 2016 13:40 #171390 by X8GGY
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationDuring our Trip to the Yorkshire Dales my Jimny was suffering really bad DEATH WOBBLES :blink: :angry: between around 25-30mph, so today I started trying to trace the source...

First thing I found was the two bolts (or rather the nuts) that hold the radius arm and the axle together on my side of the Jimny were a bit loose, both of them, so that won't help... nipped them up and went for a test drive and it was 85% better, I could only replicate the wobble under braking...

So, up went the Jim with the garage Hi-Lift (we've all got two right? ;) ) and I span both front wheels / tyres one at a time... and Alan's side :lol: (passenger side) was scraping a little on each revolution... sounds like a warped disk :unsure: which would make it start to wobble a bit under braking, and then the suspension geometry takes over and amplifies the wobble! Arrrggghhh! We're going to die! (It really was that bad!)

Thinking about it, I replaced the bearing in Alan's side last, so maybe the hub was leaning the disk onto the pad when the bearing failed, and that has lead to the warped disk...

So, I've ordered a couple of disks to replace both fronts

And... I've been looking at these for a while thinking it would help -

A nice big TerraFirma damper meant for a Land Rover Discovery 1 (that's what I've got fitted now) but with a self centering helper spring on it too... It's a pin and ring damper, but it comes with the mounts to mount the ring end to the steering bars, so it will fit my Jimny, and will be the same length as my existing one, so I know (?!) it's going to fit alright... and I'm hoping the additional spring will help with the size, weight and height of my Jimny and it's 31"s... As the damper is meant for a Disco' (and Defender without the additional bracketry).

I'll let you know when it's fitted how I get on...
Last edit: 17 Aug 2016 13:40 by X8GGY.
More
17 Aug 2016 15:19 #171397 by X8GGY
Additional Photo to show how it's mounted -

More
18 Aug 2016 08:14 #171421 by X8GGY
Attachments:
More
18 Aug 2016 11:40 #171425 by X8GGY
The joys of being self-employed, gave myself an hour off ;)

Fits! but only just :lol:

Been for a test drive, and it feels very 'positive' ;)
Attachments:
More
18 Aug 2016 11:44 #171426 by maverick
Looks like a great mud and grass collector :)

My only gripe about these "Steering Dampers" is that you have to undo them to align the Steering Wheel adjustment!!

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
18 Aug 2016 11:52 #171427 by X8GGY
We'll have to go and get it muddy then! ;)

just got to replace the front disks on Sunday after a little lie-in!
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds