BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Weird grind\rattle taking off in 1st gear 2019 Jimny

More
13 Sep 2021 18:04 #238570 by Dan

Thats the noise we sometimes get, just for a second if you pull away quickly in first gear. lt's always done it.lt sounds like the noise the ABS pump made on my Alfa Romeo when you did an emergency stop.

One question, l've not tried it on ours, does the noise occur in first gear when pulling away quickly in 4wd as well as in 2wd?

Yes it makes the grinding noise in 4 high too. I was driving up a steep (ish) gravel track in the rain today and it did it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• NidoCarlos
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2021 22:27 #239286 by NidoCarlos
Thank God i found you guys! What a relief knowing that I'm not the only one. Mine 2021 Automatic, makes the noise (grinding) for 0.5 scnd when taking off.
what I conclude from all your replies is that its a Jimny quirck until one of us discovers the cure.

Peace

More
11 Oct 2021 05:25 #239289 by Doctorchris
Nidocarlos, although this is not everbody's experience, I believe that the Suzuki warranty fix of replacing the chain in the transfer box has cured this problem.

• NidoCarlos
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2021 14:03 #239302 by NidoCarlos
Noted, so what can be wrong with the chain? Loose? Or damaged? Its gonna be a major job for a 2021 car to undergo.
How long did they spend fixing it.

Thanks bro

More
11 Oct 2021 15:14 #239313 by Doctorchris
My personal opinion, because nobody has confirmed why the chain makes this noise, is that the chain simply resonates when at a particular temperature, rate of movement etc. I do not believe the chain is loose, damaged, rubbing on anything and I also believe that if the chain is not replaced it would not do any damage in the future nor affect the life of the transfer box.
My dealer had the car for a couple of days but they were a bit slow as they've never done this job before. It's not difficult to drop the transfer box, open it up and replace the chain given the correct tools and access.

• NidoCarlos
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2021 16:23 #239317 by NidoCarlos
Very informative. Thanks for your time :)

• NidoCarlos
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2021 03:38 #239443 by NidoCarlos
Guys I couldnt help but go to the dealership.. they let me drive 2 2022 brand new cars and both had the noise.

So now i can sleep at night knowing its a quirck.

The mechanic told me fitting wider tyres can help minimizing the noise.

More
16 Oct 2021 08:16 #239448 by lightning
ls this chain in the transfer box?

Has anyone tried a different oil in the transfer box? On the TD5 Defender, some gearboxes work better with ATF and some seem to prefer 75w/90

Not sure what you can put in a Jimny gearbox though.

More
18 Oct 2021 14:14 #239501 by fordem

My personal opinion, because nobody has confirmed why the chain makes this noise, is that the chain simply resonates when at a particular temperature, rate of movement etc. I do not believe the chain is loose, damaged, rubbing on anything and I also believe that if the chain is not replaced it would not do any damage in the future nor affect the life of the transfer box.

I share this opinion, at least as far as the resonance theory goes - the noise is reproducible and at least on a manual transmission can be provoked by repeatedly rocking on/off the throttle, with the vehicle in first gear, in a specific range of engine rpm/road speed - it requires nothing more than modulating the throttle so that the vehicle slows below the required speed and then accelerates past that speed.

I'm still waiting on my dealer to get the parts in to resolve the problem.

More
18 Oct 2021 14:55 #239503 by Scimike
Its possible its caused by a resonant frequency within the transfer case, nothing appears to be certain as to the cause, or even how many have this issue. Our community is only a very small proportion of vehicles out in the world, only Suzuki know.
But I would not find solace in this theory, the Tacoma narrows highlights what repeated resonance can do.
Best try to skip over this band.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
18 Oct 2021 17:35 #239508 by lightning
Has anyone had an actual failure, rather than just the noise?
Some Gen 4 Jimnys are now on 30,000+ miles and l've not heard of any actual transmission failures, neither has my local dealer.

More
19 Oct 2021 06:08 #239513 by lookonimages

lightning wrote: Has anyone had an actual failure, rather than just the noise?
Some Gen 4 Jimnys are now on 30,000+ miles and l've not heard of any actual transmission failures, neither has my local dealer.

almost 2 years. no issue and use 4x4 regularly.( nothing extreme) just a few trails and some gravel roads, but still no issue. I have made peace with the "resonance"

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds