BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Weird grind\rattle taking off in 1st gear 2019 Jimny

More
18 Aug 2020 10:13 #226891 by Foxtrot
Its probably not related however the outcome may help. I had a 2007 G3 with a grinding noise from new, they tried to rebuild the transfer box but it was still doing it. They then put in a new box under warranty which cured it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2020 10:17 - 18 Aug 2020 10:25 #226893 by mlines
Based on the diagrams from the electronically operated gen3 and the gen4 they look all but identical (apart from the mechanical lever on the Gen4 and the electric actuator on the Gen3)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 10:25 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
18 Aug 2020 12:14 #226900 by Scimike
Thanks Martin,
If they are identical it makes me think the noise is not the transfer box itself. Possible installation issue, hitting bodywork, resonance?
Difficult to know unless we can identify what they do to fix or reduce it

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
21 Aug 2020 19:04 #227111 by lightning
Spigot bush?
Get the same intermittent noise on Defenders

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2020 12:33 #227167 by Andy2640
Guys, I have had the 'Micro-grind' noise now for over 1 year. This is my thoughts:

It rarely makes this "Zizz" noise. As reported by others, it is commonly heard in 1st gear whilst pulling away.

Over the year it HAS NOT gotten any worst.

The service bulletin fix, seems to solve the issue with some, and not others. Which is odd.

Im certainly not a mechanic, but since the problem hasnt gotten worst, I am not at all worried about it.

So i now wonder whether this is something i am going ro address with the dealer.

Mmhhhhhh.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2020 12:56 #227169 by CC Baxter
Same as you Andy, it's a machine and it makes mechanical noises. Chris

More
22 Aug 2020 14:19 #227172 by lightning
Spigot bush?
Get the same noise on Defenders. Replacing the bush doesn't always cure the noise.
Defender drivers live with it, never seems to do any harm.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2020 15:38 #227173 by Andy2640
Funny this zizzy thing hay!

So im guessing auto owners arnt experiencing this issue, or non issue?

And with what ive seen of Suzuki's extensive testing of the jimny in the development stage, it makes me wonder how the heck they miss something like this. Not shaming them or anything, but just curious how it was missed. I mean they do see it as an issue surely if theyve created a bulletin?!

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Aug 2020 19:33 #227176 by Grima
Not all manual box's have this problem. Mine is a 69 plate, registered in Nov. No 1st gear grind.

More
22 Aug 2020 21:00 - 22 Aug 2020 21:03 #227177 by mlines
As there is a kit out to effect the repair, you tend to find that once the issue is found then the kit parts are fitted in production cars after that date.

Sometimes these things are caused by a change in supplier during production. These transfer boxes have been in Jimnys since 2005 so apart from the conversion from electric to manual they are fully tested.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 22 Aug 2020 21:03 by mlines.

More
22 Aug 2020 21:59 - 22 Aug 2020 22:00 #227181 by lightning
My post keeps getting skipped over and the conversation just carries on as if l had never made the suggestion as to the cause of this noise on the Jimny.
l've had a lot of experience with Land Rovers where a similar noise will often occur as you pull away in first gear.
lt's usually the spigot bush. The gearbox/transfer box on Defenders is very similar to the Jimny, apart from having a centre differential.
It rarely causes any further problems, in extreme cases it can eventually cause wear to the crankshaft, but that's very rare.
Often the noise will disappear after a while, and replacement of the bush (which entails removal of the flywheel) doesn't guarantee a cure. The bush should be soaked in oil for 24 hours before fitting.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2020 22:00 by lightning.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Aug 2020 05:12 #227186 by Lambert
On the defender the gearbox and transfer box are mounted to each other so noise and vibration are easily transmitted and potentially difficult to isolate. On the jimny the gearbox is separate from the transfer box having an additional prop shaft between them. It is therefore much easier to isolate and diagnose where a particular noise or vibration is emanating from. As has been said the specific issue has been traced to the transfer box and a kit of parts is available to retro fit affected boxes.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds