BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Weird grind\rattle taking off in 1st gear 2019 Jimny

• Blondie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2021 15:19 #236926 by Blondie
Hi all

New to this site which is full of interesting topics!......
Can I ask, has anyone heard this noise on the new commercial variant?

Blondie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blondie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2021 20:06 #237416 by Blondie
Hi all
Looks like I answered my own question!
We collected our new commercial variant last Friday and heard the noise straight off the forecourt!......zzzzZzzTT

More
08 Aug 2021 20:46 #237421 by lightning
l think it's just a "feature" of the Jimny, but if you are worried about it tell your dealer, so it's registered.

Then if you get any further trouble with it in the future, you can say "l brought it up when we collected the vehicle"

You have a three year warranty and l've not heard of any Gen 4 Jimnys where anything else had happened, except for the noise.

More
09 Aug 2021 10:55 - 09 Aug 2021 10:57 #237437 by barry60
Hello. I have found what I think is a direct reference to this noise in the owner's manual.

In the English (Australia) book, Page 3-55, Section "How ABS Works", Paragraph 1, Sentence 4: "When you start your vehicle or when you accelerate after a hard stop, you may hear a momentary motor or clicking noise as the system resets or checks itself."

There is a second reference to this same sound, in the same book, Page 3-56, Section "Anti-lock brake system (ABS)", Italic Note 3: "You may hear an operation sound when you start the engine or after the vehicle begins to move. This means that the above systems are in the self-check mode. This sound does not indicate a malfunction."

I definitely hear a sound like the book describes, occasionally, when I take off at the lights. It's a mechanical sounding whirring sound from somewhere underneath where I'm sitting. Maybe towards the back of the car. I am considering this sound completely normal per the notes in the book I've mentioned above. Does anybody else think this is the sound they're hearing?

Edit: I bet the Suzuki engineers pained over this sound but ultimately decided it didn't sound like something was failing, so they abandoned their efforts and updated the book to include it.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2021 10:57 by barry60.

More
09 Aug 2021 14:11 #237444 by fordem

Hello. I have found what I think is a direct reference to this noise in the owner's manual.

I can only assume you haven't heard the noise that's being discussed - this is not a "momentary motor or clicking noise", and it is NOT coming from the ABS - it's a grinding noise, emanating from the transfer case.

Put your hand on the transfer case shifter - if you don't feel the grinding in sync with the noise you're hearing - then you're hearing a different noise.

More
09 Aug 2021 14:30 #237445 by Dan
Mine sounds like a mechanical parping noise when you give it revs in first.

More
09 Aug 2021 23:28 #237455 by barry60
I could be wrong but it seems like maybe two different sounds have been brought up in this thread. One like the one I described, then one much more pronounced noise from the transfer case that's related to the bulletin Q-A6G-004.

In any case, what you're describing definitely sounds a lot more serious than what I'm describing. Sorry for any confusion.

More
10 Aug 2021 07:12 - 10 Aug 2021 20:09 #237456 by lightning

Mine sounds like a mechanical parping noise when you give it revs in first.

Thats the noise we sometimes get, just for a second if you pull away quickly in first gear. lt's always done it.
lt sounds like the noise the ABS pump made on my Alfa Romeo when you did an emergency stop.

One question, l've not tried it on ours, does the noise occur in first gear when pulling away quickly in 4wd as well as in 2wd?

Last edit: 10 Aug 2021 20:09 by lightning.

More
15 Aug 2021 13:38 - 15 Aug 2021 13:39 #237568 by lightning
l was behind a Suzuki lgnis at the traffic lights the other day, they accelerated away and the car made exactly the same noise as people are complaining about with the Jimny.

l wonder if it's actually something to do with the ABS/traction control, or if there's more than one type of noise that the vehicle can make.
As Suzuki issued a service bulletin for the Jimny regarding the transmission.
When ours makes
the sound, it doesn't sound to me like a noisy chain.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2021 13:39 by lightning.

More
15 Aug 2021 17:26 #237574 by Dan
I was out in mine yesterday and reassessed the noise.

I would now say it is more like the sound a metal door makes when it drags along a concrete floor.

I think mines on <7k miles.

More
15 Aug 2021 19:26 #237579 by lightning
Well, we've got 3 year warranties!!

More
01 Sep 2021 16:27 #238123 by Doctorchris
I have just collected my Jimny JB74 from the dealer where it has been in the workshop to have the warranty work carried out on the transfer case. This is the replacement of the chain to correct the rasping noise that occurs on pulling away sharply in first gear.
The rasping noise cannot now be heard. However, I drove onto my local beach to check out the full function of the transfer box and four wheel drive. 4H is fine but I now have a very loud transmission whine in 4L. I have hardly used 4WD on this vehicle but do not recall this loud noise when I last used 4L on the same beach.
Does this match anyone else's experience with this vehicle, either before or after this fix under warranty? Thank you in anticipation of any help. I will undoubtedly take someone from the workshop out for a drive on the beach in the next couple of days.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds