BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Stopping the flashing 4WD light with pictures

More
23 Sep 2013 11:27 #84077 by helijohn
My thanks to facade for giving me directions.

If you look under the battery, there is a birdsnest of rubber pipes and the two vacuum valves. There is a round switch with two wires on attached to one of the pipes near the valves. Join the wires together.

Then there is a pipe leading from the manifold to this birdsnest. Blank it off at the manifold with a rubber cap.

One look under the battery almost put me off. Oh for tiny hands.

I removed the vac tank for better access. Here is the plug on the switch viewed from the radiator.

The round switch unit pulls out of a spring clip for better access but not much . I wanted to remove the wiring plug from the switch rather than cut the wires and that was a nightmare. Eventually I kinda broke the plug's clip as you can maybe see.

TBC......................

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2013 11:31 - 02 Dec 2013 11:16 #84079 by helijohn
Contd........................
Next I made a patch lead.

Which fits like this.

Then all I had to do was whip off the vac tube going from the round switch to the manifold and replace it with a plugged bit of tube. I was going to use a ball bearing but that's another story. :laugh:

Finally fitted a decent blanking plug.

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Dec 2013 11:16 by helijohn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2013gary

More
17 Apr 2015 19:05 #142681 by Rhinoman
Just to confirm. If I fit the shorting link and then plug the take off from the manifold then I can run FWHs without the flashing warning and 4wd will be fully functional without any other mods? Sorry if it sounds dumb its been a long day - off to Tong tomorrow and just discovered a broken hub.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
17 Apr 2015 19:12 #142682 by helijohn

Rhinoman wrote: I can run FWHs without the flashing warning and 4wd will be fully functional without any other mods? Sorry if it sounds dumb its been a long day - off to Tong tomorrow and just discovered a broken hub.

If I am understanding correctly; if you are using MANUAL selectable hubs then yes. If you have locked (or unlocked) non manual hubs (permanently) by some method then again I think yes.

More
17 Apr 2015 19:27 #142686 by Rhinoman
Yes I have some Aisin free wheeling hubs that I can use. If I don't do the switch mod will I have 4wd and the only issue will be an annoying flashing light?

More
17 Apr 2015 19:31 #142687 by mlines
If

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
17 Apr 2015 19:32 #142688 by mlines
If you have manual hubs and transfer box then yes, you will have 4wd no matter what the electronics think

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
17 Apr 2015 19:42 #142689 by Rhinoman
Electronic transfer box

More
17 Apr 2015 22:04 - 17 Apr 2015 22:05 #142698 by Rhinoman
It looks like mine will be a little easier to do because that switch is already hanging loose! Underneath the vacuum take-off from the manifold there is another pipe that appears be plugged, what is that for?. I'm a little concerned that if I don't blank off the vacuum pipe at the manifold I will have a vacuum leak when 4wd is engaged.

Last edit: 17 Apr 2015 22:05 by Rhinoman.

More
18 Apr 2015 17:33 #142721 by Rhinoman
My VSVs and switch were just hanging in free air, another dodgy job by a previous owner:

I didn't have time to sort all that out so I pulled out the switch and VSV module. I blanked off the manifold take-off and then used the T=piece from the
pipes that I removed to connect together the remaining pipework to keep the dirt out:

More
18 Apr 2015 20:14 #142739 by helijohn

Rhinoman wrote: My VSVs and switch were just hanging in free air, another dodgy job by a previous owner:

Must compliment you on the nice clear pics James. B)
I am one of those who leaves some things free hanging, especially if it is awkward to reach or if I am returning to it frequently...........and cos I am too idle to refit stuff. :blush:

So it worked fine in the end?? ;)

More
19 Apr 2015 19:10 #142776 by Rhinoman
I just got back from Tong, 4wd worked perfectly and no flashing light.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds