BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dash showing engine temp is realy hot! NOW SOLVED!

More
29 Nov 2011 16:44 #26891 by kirkynut
I think I would still lock the fan up and try it before spending money at a garage.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2011 17:00 #26893 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Yeah I would tie up the fan just incase it is faulty at higher revs.
But I have no clues of how this is acheived :huh:
Picture would be good :)

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2011 17:02 #26894 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!

kirkynut wrote: I think I would still lock the fan up and try it before spending money at a garage.

Kirkynut

How do you actualy lock it up with cable ties? Am i locking the metal caseing to the fan? I carnt work how to do it :blush: A "how to" would be most useful :)

Nobby

• teafortwo0789
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2011 18:51 #26896 by teafortwo0789
Replied by teafortwo0789 on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
I like the idea of being able to do a temporary 'tie up' with cable ties for when I know I'm going to do a heavy duty cycle and then remove when light going. just don't know how its done.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2011 18:34 #26952 by Nobby22
After a bit of research on google i think i sort of know how to do this. Or at least the theory. Somehow i need to cable tie the fan to the shaft it spins on. Is this right? This will cause the fan to spin fully all the time and so replicateting when the viscous fan clutch is engaged.
I think i will give this a go. I surpose i will be able to hear the difference when the viscous clutch engages?

Nobby

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2011 19:33 #27028 by Nobby22
I just did a small test that is recomended to help determine if the viscous fan has failed or not. Basically you get the engine up to temperature, a temperature when the fan clutch should kick in. Then turn off the engine and check the fan to see if you can move it. In theory you shouldnt be able to move it as the clutch should be engaged, thus locking it to the shaft. Well on mine the fan can easily be turned and if anything moves easier than when the engine is cold :ohmy: . Tommorow i will have a go at locking it up and hopefully prove its the fan at fault. Stayed tunned :)

Nobby

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2011 15:01 - 02 Dec 2011 15:03 #27064 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
I think the metal behind the fan find is moving all the time. so if you connect the fan to the metal it wont move when engine is off, as the viscous clutch activates when heat travels down the metal where the fan spins round on if you follow :unsure: in affect the fan will remain on constant over cooling which wont cause a problem other than slightly less fuel econmy. So far it sounds like it could be the vicous.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2011 15:03 by jo king.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Dec 2011 20:09 #28026 by Nobby22
Well i think we have found the problem :laugh: . I tied up the fan the other day and took it out for a long drive. First of all i realy noticed a change in the engine sound, i could clearly hear the fan reaving up. So after about 30 or so minutes i was expecting the temp to start riseing but it didnt :) just stayed at its normal spot. Excellent :laugh:
I will try and post a pic soon so you can see how its done. Pretty simple, just cable tie the pulley, that spins on the same shaft, to the fan, simples ;) . Well simple now i know, thanks to rjds for telling me how to do it ;)

Cheers guys

Nobby

• rjd1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Dec 2011 20:50 #28042 by rjd1
glad it worked for you bud

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2012 09:07 - 04 Feb 2012 12:23 #32618 by Nobby22
Hi all

Well after many weeks of putting it of, a trip to London has forced me to get the problem fixed. And in the end it wasnt what i was expecting :unsure: . If you followed this story you would remember that the car overheated after about 3/4 of a hour of driving. So my 15 minute trip to work wasnt causing any issues, hense the reason i left it so long. Needing to get the problem fixed i went and had a chat with one of our mechanics at work, so i didnt spend money on the wrong parts :blush: . He said it sounded like a blocked radiator, so i took it out, flushed it through and then used a rad cleaner to try and un-block it. The rad cleaner had the opposite effect and blocked it up even more so it overheated faster :ohmy: . I could also comfirm it was the radiator as one half of it was stone cold and the other boiling hot. So once again the radiator came out, new one in and much to my joy the car stayed as cool as a cucumber where ever i took it :) .
The funny thing is if i had checked the radiator to start with i may have discovered it was half hot half cold a while back :blush: . But thats how you learn i surpose. Another thing i learnt is takeing a radiator out of a Jimny is a nice easy job. No swearing at all :laugh:

Nobby
Last edit: 04 Feb 2012 12:23 by Nobby22.

More
05 Feb 2012 11:03 #32714 by kirkynut
Glad you solved it mate. I bet that was driving you mad. Some people would've thrown the towel in and sold it!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2012 11:12 - 05 Feb 2012 11:13 #32717 by jo king
I never gave that athought it being a rad. it must have been in a sh@t state. Good to see that you posted the solved problem, As that is what makes this site sooooooooo good!!!
Last edit: 05 Feb 2012 11:13 by jo king.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds