BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dash showing engine temp is realy hot! NOW SOLVED!

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2011 12:53 #26625 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!

kirkynut wrote: Do you have the single or twin cam engine mate?

Its a 16v so i assume its a twin cam?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2011 13:02 #26626 by Nobby22
I have just had a look at the manual ( thanks keefe ;) ) and it seems fairly straight forward to remove the intake manifold. Not a quick job but with it all written down it makes it seem fairly simple, no technical tasks just un-bolt and un-plug. Hmm... do i have a go or not? Mind you its not a case of "have a go" more like " i carnt cock it up" :laugh:

Nobby

More
26 Nov 2011 13:03 #26627 by kirkynut
Nah, they're all 16v. What's the start letters of the engine no on the registration doc? Or post a piccie of you engine.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2011 13:17 #26628 by Nobby22
:blush: I dont tend to like to do much with the engine, hense my lack on knowledge :blush:
Starts with M13A

Attachment IMG_0001_6.jpg not found

I can take another one if this is no good. Its one i took a while agao to show the air horns.

Nobby
Attachments:

More
27 Nov 2011 21:55 #26762 by kirkynut

Nobby22 wrote: :blush: I dont tend to like to do much with the engine, hense my lack on knowledge :blush:
Starts with M13A

Attachment IMG_0001_6.jpg not found

I can take another one if this is no good. Its one i took a while agao to show the air horns.

Nobby

You have a twin cam engine driven by a chain and not a belt - Hurrah!!!

I looked at mine today as I was working on it and looking at it I would have guessed that the thermostat was on the end of the block at the front of the car where the hard coolant pipe bolts to it - in your picture look to the right hand end of the rad cap and then back and you can just see it there. On the car it's about halfway down the block and has a rad hose to it.

So I've just looked at my Manual CD and it talks about it being under the inlet manifold as you are saying.

However, I'm not sure if my Manual is talking about the single cam picture as all the diagrams seem to be for that engine.

I tried to look under my inlet manifold but it was not in the best light in my garage and to be honest I had to get on with what I needed to do.

So I'm a little unsure where it is still on the twin cam engine.

Can anyone else help with the location of the thermostat on a twin cam engine???

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
28 Nov 2011 07:58 #26775 by Halford
This is from the SN413 manual
which engine is this then, is this the DOHC ? :unsure:

Attachment engine-01.jpg553391.jpeg not found

Attachment thermostat-1.jpg not found

Attachments:

• v8dougie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2011 16:14 #26788 by v8dougie
Replied by v8dougie on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
That looks just like my engine...SOHC, sorry!

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2011 16:34 - 28 Nov 2011 16:44 #26789 by Nobby22
Iam fairly certain ,after looking at the manual, this is where the thermostat is.

Attachment Copy6ofIMG_0002.jpg not found

Yellow dot shows it

Attachment IMG_0001_7.jpg not found

Which means it is under the intake manifold and also means it has to be taken off. Even if you could get a spanner in there, which may be possible, you sure aint going to get the thermostat out. Anyone had experience of takeing the intake manifold off? Iam mechanicaly minded but no mechanic. Theres no way iam paying for a garage to do it. Time to get stuck in :) :unsure:

Nobby
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Nov 2011 16:44 by Nobby22.

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2011 17:05 #26794 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Yes thats it.. Just take your time and I sure you will be fine. ;)

More
28 Nov 2011 21:49 - 28 Nov 2011 21:53 #26842 by kirkynut
Wish I'd read Jo King's last thread as just been out and had a proper look and came to the conclusion that's it too.

I don't however agree that you have to remove the inlet manifold to change it.

I think if you remove the radiator and fan assembly - you have to drain the system anyway to change the thermostat and the easiest way is to drop the bottom hose of the rad - you will then be able to put your arm through the front of the car and through to remove the alternator with much more ease and then be able to put your hand through and work backwards on the thermostat housing.

You could leave the alternator on and drop it down as far as it goes but it doesn't drop far though.

I'd use a socket set with short extension bars and wobblies - look at Halfords tools for wobblies.

You'll be working blind on the bolt nearest the block and will be going by feel removing the housing and making sure it's sat right when you put it back. I expect the gasket to be a rubber "O" ring. You'll know when you look in the box at the new one.

Whatever it is, use hylomar blue gasket sealant on it. It will lubricate rubber and seal any small scratches on the housing that might otherwise weep. Lubricating the rubber stops it getting caught and being pinched. Leave it to go off before putting the coolant in - 1/2 hour or more in the cold. It forms a great seal.

Now we know where the thermostat is though, and have discovered it's a ball ache to change; it might be worth making sure that it is at fault and if not at fault leaving it the hell alone!

So with that in mind I would go back to the fan and be sure it is not what is causing all of this.

Taking the assembly off to check and finding some way to lock the thing up is alot easier than changing that thermostat. If it is the fan and you change the thermostat to find the fan was at fault and it still overheats you'll be annoyed I bet, having gone through grief changing the thermostat for potentially no reason.

Martin had a similar problem and chose to lock it up to see if it was the issue - see here:

www.bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_ku...id=472&Itemid=75#472

If you do decide to change the thermostat. Buy a fair few 30-40mm range Jubilee clips BEFORE starting work on it and have plenty of new anti-freeze to refill it. I would use a strong mix of anti-freeze + water as the anti-freeze has corrosion inhibitors in it which help prevent things like thermostats furring up!

The clips that are on the car now are not re-usable as they have been on there years and will not apply the same pressure when re-used and WILL leak. They will also have moulded into the hose and getting them back in the same place is impossible.

Kirkynut

Last edit: 28 Nov 2011 21:53 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobby22

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2011 16:06 #26887 by Nobby22
Thanks guys. Kirkynut thats a very complete and wise answer thanks ;) . I will defo look in to your sugestion for doing it. Iam begining to think maybe it would be easier to take it to the garage :( . It comes down to the fact that if i take it appart it needs to be fixed and put back together pretty much the same day. Plus if its not the thermostat it may have to go to the garage anyway to find the fault. I also noticed in the manual it says if the air bleed hole is clogged this could cause the engine to over heat. It could be a possibility, seeing how durty the coolant was when i drained it.
In terms of the fan. When i move it there is resitance, it wont spin freely. I assume this is how it should be.

Nobby

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2011 16:20 - 29 Nov 2011 16:20 #26890 by Nobby22
One thing i forgot to emphasise was that this only happens after about 30-45 minutes of driving. I can go to work fine, the engine get ups the temperature and stays there. That journey takes about 15 mins. Just thought i better tell you all in case it helps

Nobby
Last edit: 29 Nov 2011 16:20 by Nobby22.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds