BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dash showing engine temp is realy hot! NOW SOLVED!

• rjd1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 15:10 #25666 by rjd1
fan trick is real quick and half a dozen cable tie`s max worked for the last 3 or 4 moter`s mine included same symtom`s as you described

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 21:20 #25709 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
How easy is it to change the thermostat? Any links to how to do it?

Nobby

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2011 22:56 - 13 Nov 2011 23:19 #25715 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Just want to ask have you taken the viscous fan out for any reason .
The reason is if you lie a viscous fan flat on the ground it will ruin the viscous set up.
It will have less resistance, I think a new fan can be laid flat but not a second hand one as the seals leak which is not visible. An electirc fan connected to the thermo sensor is a good set up with a manual over ride to keep it cool while doing slow tecknical stuff, plus it wont thrash around in water ;)

Another point is your water pump could be worn out!! If so get it changed and quick..
And always ues one coolant as mixed coolants can turn too acid which eats the metal water way tubes which run from the engine block to the head which causes a premature head gasket failure.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2011 23:19 by jo king.

• Fearghal Murphy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2011 17:49 #25899 by Fearghal Murphy
Replied by Fearghal Murphy on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
Whilst driving with the engine hot throw on the heaters full and hot, if the airflow remains cold rather than heating up, ya may have a thermostat problem, i would defo check the thermostat !! sounds like it is not opening properly or very delayed, ive experienced "phenomenon" haha in many cars and its always been a faulty thermostat !! Best of luck with the experiments and fixes !

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2011 18:46 #25902 by Nobby22
Thanks for the advice guys. Fearghal Murphy, i have done this and they work fine. I think "phenomenon" is a very good word to describe it :laugh:
One thing i can not work out is only my daily commute to work, about a 15 min drive, the engine reaches its normal temp and stays there fine. Its only since going on some recent longer drives that the temp reading has shot up. Also the needle goes up and down as i drive along, it goes right to the top then drops to about two thirds. But as i say this only happens on longer journeys.
Jo king in answer to your question, no i have never taken it out. I didnt even kno what one was until starting this thread :laugh: I always assumed it was just the fan.
Could the viscous fan be sticking? So i works for a while then sticks, the temp goes up, then releases for a bit, the temp goes down.
Any advice most welcome

Thanks again

Nobby

• mostafa
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2011 12:36 #26015 by mostafa
Replied by mostafa on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
add an additional temp indication....... i got a bad experience with the stock one

More
19 Nov 2011 01:15 #26082 by kirkynut
I think it's the viscous unit on the fan as you said when you drove quicker it cooled down, which it would with the airflow over it.

I would do as has been suggested with the cable ties to lock it up to see if it is that before taking anything else apart or buying new parts unnecessarily.

It's a process of elimination.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Az1987
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2011 08:23 #26087 by Az1987
Replied by Az1987 on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
If it was me I would not "lock" the fan up as all you are going to do is over cool the engine and just mask the problem, all of the syptoms you are saying point to a sticking thermostat. I have have not seen a fan to start and stop work it's a very simple bit of kit when they fail they normly lock up solid or just turn very slowly.

More
19 Nov 2011 08:51 #26089 by kirkynut
If the Thermostat is stuck shut no coolant will be passing through the rad and it would stay hot all the time and would not cool down. Been there, done that, had the warped head as a result.

Locking the fan will cool it more and if the problem goes it will have been the fan that was at fault. The temperature goes down when driving due to the air forced through the rad by moving.

If a Thermostat is stuck, it's stuck and the symptoms will remain as overheating.

They are only under £10 and easy to change, so perhaps change it anyway. Then boil it in your Mrs favourite saucepan to see if it opens!

You'll know it has fresh anti freeze in it for this winter then too as you'll have to drain that.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2011 09:28 #26092 by Nobby22
Thanks again guys
As kirkynut said if it was stuck shut the engine would overheat and stay hot, wouldnt it? Does the viscous fan only kick in when the engine starts to get to hot and so helps to cool it down? The temp reading stays fine on a short journey but only goes up and down when on a longer trip. It doesnt stay in one place if you kno what i mean.
So this cable tie trick, do i tie the viscous fan to the main fan?
I have just put fresh coolant in do you think if i drained it, to fit a new thermostat, i could re-use it? Or is it best to put new in again. Its only been in a week or so.

Nobby

More
19 Nov 2011 11:05 #26100 by facade
To check the viscous unit:

With a cold engine, grab the fan blades and see if there is side to side play or a rattle = gone
Try and turn the fan by hand. If it feels stiff but will turn it is ok.

Most likely, the fan will feel loose and spin easily = gone.

Go for a drive with the window open. When you first drive off the fan should roar like a vacuum cleaner when you rev the engine from cold, then the noise disappears when hot.

(No idea why this happens, it is the exact opposite of what you would expect, possibly the fluid has to warm up before it can start working properly)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2011 18:37 - 19 Nov 2011 18:40 #26114 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Dash showing engine temp is realy hot!
I may be able to help you with this Process of elimination
Ok this is what to do :blink: First you can check your thermostat by removing it from your car and putting it into a pan and then pour boiling water from a kettle on to it. If it does not do anything then Its buggered ;) if you see it pop or move then its fine and you can put it back in B) The thermostat activates at around 83 degrees so boiling water will trigger it.
You may have an air lock in your cooling system.. seek advice as to how to get the air out...
Answer these questions
1 Are you losing water only slighty
2 And can you see tiny dots in your oil on your dip stick.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2011 18:40 by jo king.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds