BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Looks like a Jimny to me - all electric but not Suzuki

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Feb 2024 19:30 #253979 by Lambert
Or alternatively as a working vehicle that will never be more than 50 miles from base then does it actually matter. And for going further afield I have a jimny that I simply cannot drive far enough.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2024 20:57 #253982 by Roger Fairclough
That depends if you run out of amps. Remember Sods law?

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Feb 2024 04:53 #253984 by Lambert
But I don't play fuel station roulette now with petrol readily available so why would I play the same game with an ev knowing that there isn't a fast charge on every junction? It's the 7p's of proper planning.

More
03 Feb 2024 09:36 #253985 by Roger Fairclough
Proper planning cannot take into account what the other guy will do. That's the essence of Sods law. "What can go wrong, will go wrong". We all plan and we all hope that what we have planned will work but that unexpected delay on what should have been a clear road can quickly turn a dream trip into a nightmare. knew a guy who lived in Stoke Prior. He worked in Birmingham, a distance of approx.10 miles. He had a tiny little fibre glass bodied car with a 12 volt motor running of a couple of big batteries. It was ideal for his commute into town where he would re-charge it for the trip home. Ideal? yes, but only for that type of journey. I drove to Scotland in my SJ and finished up parked outside the Green Welly shop in Crianlarich. I had about 1/2 gallon fuel left and had to wait an hour for the garage to open. There are probably 20 fuel stations in Redditch so complacency can easily set in as to how low the fuel level is but in the more remote areas of the country diligence is the order of the day.

Roger

More
03 Feb 2024 12:20 #253990 by facade
If you fancy a cartoon caricature of a Gen 3, have a look at this www.myelectricvehicle.org  Still stupid money though- £12K!

I quite like the Xbus, £20K in 4WD form.  electricbrands.de/en/myxbus/

However, I suspect that both would suffer from the same problem as the Citroen Ami- show them a speed hump (or a section of what they call "main road" round here, never mind "side road") and they pretty much fall over bouncing over it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Feb 2024 13:06 - 03 Feb 2024 13:07 #253991 by Lambert
It was more that the spartan is able to tow 3 tonnes at just over 4 metres length that I was inspired by rather than it being electric.

Last edit: 03 Feb 2024 13:07 by Lambert.

More
03 Feb 2024 13:57 #253993 by Phaeton

But I don't play fuel station roulette now with petrol readily available so why would I play the same game with an ev knowing that there isn't a fast charge on every junction? It's the 7p's of proper planning.
True, but in the real world experience there is still a huge issue with the lack of infrastructure, the fact that is only takes 5 minutes to fill up a ICE, yet takes 30-120 minutes to do an EV, the lack of the stations, the lack of capacity of the stations that exist, they are supposed to be 35Kw (I think) yet get 4 cars charging & they each only get 8, so that 30 minute stop you had planned becomes 120 minutes, that is assuming that a) it's even working or b) somebody has plugged their car in & disappeared, so that when it's fully charged nobody else can use the charger as it's still parked there. All the above has happened to a friend of mine who has an Epace.

On Monday it decided to stop in the outside lane of a inner city dual carriageway & refuse to go forward. He tried to put on the handbrake, which also refused to work, so he was sat in the outside lane with his foot on the brake, he called the service people who had call the Police to come sit behind him, he was causing a huge traffic jam. After about 15 minutes he was able to take his foot off the brake & the car would then not move forward or backwards. After an hour the flatbed arrived & they had to hammer plastic skidplates under the tyres to drag it up onto the bed, it was taken to the garage, who then couldn't even get into it, they decided to charge it overnight even though it was 70% charged, in the morning it's still dead, nothing works, they think it might be an issue with the 12V battery but they are waiting for Jaguar to advise them how to get to the battery causing the least amount of damage. I'm not against EV's & I do believe they have their place, but I don't think the current crop we have are the right ones, cars are a very hostile environment for electronics & they are full of them.

More
03 Feb 2024 15:34 #253996 by Roger Fairclough
I trust my Jimny. I get in it, turn the key and it starts. I drive off. Would I trust an electric car to be that reliable.

No.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Feb 2024 16:58 #253999 by Lambert
OK you have made your point, you don't like evs. Good, I'm not asking you to have one.
The main attraction of the spartan to me is that it would suit my size and towing requirements as a third vehicle in my fleet. That it happens to be ev isn't really an issue as it would never be that far from home to recharge, even I managed to use a full charge in a day I could charge it overnight. As for Epace horror story how much of that is actually because it was made by Jaguar Land Rover rather than it just being an ev.

More
03 Feb 2024 18:45 #254002 by Roger Fairclough
It's not just JLR that are at fault. There are instances of battery packs catching fire and weird malfunctions in the electronics which make me believe that the idea is there but the technology has not advanced far enough to justify classing them as safe and practical and that isn't just the cars, the infrastructure needs a lot of work and that costs money, lots of it.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Feb 2024 19:27 #254003 by Lambert
But none of that means that we shouldn't try to utilise the technology as is and indeed it is a vital part of developing and improving the technology for its next iteration. We didn't start out with perfect and fully accomplished cars a hundred and forty years ago, it wasn't an immediate and wholesale shift from the horse in the first 5 years so why should evs be different. And yes I do think it's all part of a noble effort to attempt to reduce our emissions, I can remember what it was like trying to breathe the air in any big city 40 years ago and I honestly prefer how it is these days and why? Because I'm one of the people who is quite attached to being alive.

More
03 Feb 2024 20:51 #254004 by Phaeton
"And yes I do think it's all part of a noble effort to attempt to reduce our emissions,'

Unfortunately I'm not convinced this stacks up, over the total life of an EV it has yet to be proved they are better for the environment, emissions at the point of use yes, but not in the building of them & the generation of the electricity, (we still use fossil fuels). Which brings leads us back to the extortionate inflated costs of them

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds