BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Anyone figured out how to turn off the TPMS?

More
06 Aug 2022 18:12 #244420 by 300bhpton
Or at least reprogram it?

I really wouldn’t mind if it triggered at say 18psi. Ie something useful if you really had a flat tyre. 

Today the bloody system triggered (normally only does it in winter, not summer). 

No flat or anything. But all tyres showing as 26psi with drivers rear being highlighted. 

Have driven about and got them to show 29psi all round. But the tpms alarm is still present. 

I think I had it set to Load rather than Comfort. Which despite the manual not saying what this means. I think I’ve figured it out. It is expecting 26/26psi front/rear for comfort and 26/29psi front/rear for Load. 

That said, only a couple of days ago it was showing 26/27psi front/rear on the display and no alarm. So why doesn’t the sodding thing switch off when it gets to 29psi all round? I’ve had to inflate the rears to over 30psi to get the dash to stop looking like a Christmas tree!!!!

It wouldn’t be so bad, but with the TPMS triggered the dash is useless. You can’t use the trip, traffic sign recognition, mpg, range, etc.

And worse. You can’t even access the menu to switch between Load and Comfort. Despite the fact the pressures would have been 100% correct for Comfort. You can’t do anything, not even adjust the clock or even use the TPMS Reset. Forcing you to over inflate tyres just to get the menu options back. It truly is appallingly designed. 

Has anyone found either a way of removing the system completely or adjusting the psi value? As said, something like 18psi warning would have true value. Rather than the current setup that has no value and only annoyance. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: marbit37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2022 10:09 #244428 by marbit37
Also interested in this, for the same reasons

More
07 Aug 2022 13:57 #244430 by mlines
As far as I am aware it is not possible at the moment to re-programme the TPMS. 

The TPMS system is based on a system from Continental. It uses Continental Sensors and a Continental receiver. As far as I can tell this Sensor/Receiver system simply transmits the sensor data to the Suzuki Body Control Unit (BCU). The BCU then interprets the data compared to the LOAD and COMFORT settings in it and acts accordingly. In theory, in the BCU, is this table of values and it could be edited. Indeed we can see data tables in the BCU through using the Suzuki tool but these are lists of random numbers with no contect or reference to them and it appears possible to read them but not to write them although it is possible to update the BCU as a whole. No-one appears to have hacked it (yet!)

The only real method at the moment is to remove the tyre sensors and fit a TMPS faking unit. This feeds fake values to the Continental receiver and deceives the system

I and another member have tried the solution from IronGates. We both found this system difficult to get working although once you have fiddled around with it then it does work.

Overall , in normal operation, the sensor "learn" sequence seems unreliable. Both after a sensor change/move it can take a while to detect and automatically correct the system. Mine has sometimes instantly learnt new positions/parameters and other times it take a long time. With the SZ5 we once had it take a 90 minute journey to relearn everything and our commercial took 2 days of lots of trips.

The trick to remember is the timings.

1. The system clears itself after 20 minutes of being switched off, Suzuki recently said "better to wait two hours". So switch off, lock the car and walk away for 2 hours.

2. Once it has been cleared, go for a drive where during the FIRST TEN MINUTES you can achieve a steady speed of at least 20 mph, ie no junctions, no traffic lights, no roundabouts. 

Doing this seems to be the most effective way of relearning things, If you cannot maintain the speed for 10 minutes its best you start the 2 hour wait again.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 Aug 2022 20:03 #244436 by Velocette
Has anyone else tried to make a small pressure vessel to place the sensors in and then inflate it to the optimum pressure to fool the system. I tried it with a strong screw threaded plastic bottle with a schrader valve fixed in the end. Placed all four sensors in it and blew it up to 25psi but the problem was that it wouldn't hold a seal for long, but did work for a short period. Instead of making a solid vessel and doing the job properly i got some cheapy sensors off ebay which have worked fine now for three years. Its a thought though .

More
07 Aug 2022 20:57 - 07 Aug 2022 22:30 #244440 by Scimike
TPMS, what a pain and for most a warning on the dash to be ignored. Useless legislation, trying to make things safe for the mechanically inept, those that can't check tyre pressures or tell they have a flat when driving along.
Good idea the pressure vessel. Get a steel spare wheel, drill 4 valve holes and fit them all in that, then over inflate the spare and leave it on the back door. Would that work or do they need to rotate?

I don't like electronic gizmos. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 07 Aug 2022 22:30 by Scimike.

More
08 Aug 2022 05:31 #244442 by mlines
They need to rotate AND rotate at DIFFERENT angular velocities to simulate the different positions on the axles so the receiver can calculate their different positions on the car

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Aug 2022 08:56 #244444 by Lambert
It does also raise the issue of insurance companies using a tpms delete or defeat to withhold cover on the basis of the system being a legally required one if a loss adjuster feels it was a contributing factor in a collision. If there is an excuse they will exploit it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Nov 2023 22:14 - 23 Nov 2023 02:34 #252311 by Filipao

Hello, new JB74 owner here and new member, thank you so much for having me. I've bought 5 steel rims and built a second set of wheels. Originals (alloys) have std tyres and sensors, but I didn't bother to buy extra sensors for the second set of wheels. My problem is I can't override the darn warnings and get access to the dash settings (in German...) Thank you experts! Kind regards, Filipe de Menezes
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Nov 2023 02:34 by Filipao. Reason: missing pic

More
23 Nov 2023 07:19 #252316 by rogerzilla
Direct TPMS is not very customer-friendly and makes a second set of wheels about £150 more expensive, but I think the old indirect type, based on ABS sensors, is no longer allowed on new cars.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the sensor batteries start to fail on older cars.  A new set of valves with removing, refitting, and rebalancing the wheels,  could cost £250 but will be needed to get through the next MOT.  I predict dodgy solutions will be offered by back street garages.

More
23 Nov 2023 14:07 #252329 by BALDY60
have a look at this ebay item 273127628807 nowt to do with me but i have ordered the corded version for myself

More
23 Nov 2023 20:21 #252335 by Filipao
Thank you Baldy, will get one.

In the meantime, still can't access the onboard computer, help me please.

Thank you!

More
06 Dec 2023 13:51 #252666 by Roger Fairclough
It was freezing last night and the TPMS came on. I tyre at 25psi and the other 3 at 24psi.As this was not a problem I continued on to the gym. On my way I noted what the dash lights were doing. All the central lights had turned to orange and the middle batch were flashing with the pressures of the 4 tyres. There had been one beep from the system and another when I came home. My suggestion is to cover up the flashing section with cardboard or similar . This way you will not be distracted by flashing lights and you can set the pressures to your own requirements.
N.B. I accept no responsibility for this suggestion. You do so at your own risk in the knowledge that you may or may not be breaking the law in regards to ignoring a warning that you are driving with inappropriate pressures in your tyres. I have not tested to see if a further reduction in pressures may invoke a warning buzzer.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds