BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

How good are G3 Brakes?

More
08 Dec 2021 20:06 #240566 by Velocette
Replied by Velocette on topic How good are G3 Brakes?
As well as EBC pads I find the best way to keep braking at its optimum is to strip the calipers regularly and ensure that the sliders and piston are absolutely clean and free. Any sign of woodeness is a sure sign of something starting to seize. You may hardly notice the deterioration but afterwards the improvement is very obvious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2021 23:25 - 08 Dec 2021 23:26 #240569 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic How good are G3 Brakes?
As been said above a regular service of the brakes, like lube on the caliper sliders is a good idea. Also to change rear drum brake pads regularly. I change mine before every MOT every other year.
My jimny has the vitara calipers and jimny diesel rotors. I had trouble with my original non vented brake disc got warped so my car was shaking when braking at speed. I feel a significant improved stopping power at speed and apart from one pad failing the brakes have been awesome. Vitara calipers has an increased piston size from 48 to 52mm I think.
So pleased with the brakes now, recommended mod if you plan on servicing rotors or calipers anyways. Bracket also need changing.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2021 23:26 by yakuza.

More
08 Dec 2021 23:29 #240570 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic How good are G3 Brakes?
Ah by the way, I noticed my SJ413 jimny gen 2 drums is a bit wider than the jimny gen 3. Been wanting to see if the are a direct swap.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
10 Dec 2021 10:48 #240582 by Roger Fairclough
I tried a full push stop from 55mph in my Gen.4 and noticed the following. Initially the braking was fast and smooth but at about 30mph it tailed off slightly. It was still good but not as good. I put this down to the ABS kicking in. There was no chatter or juddering, just smooth braking. Road was dry and flat.

Has anyone seen road test figures for braking performance?

Roger

More
10 Dec 2021 13:20 #240584 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic How good are G3 Brakes?

You could change the rear drum brakes for discs, that would give you a bit more braking force, but possibly not in the wet?

This is not something for the "inexperienced" to play with - braking force needs to be "balanced" front & rear, adding more braking at the back without a corresponding increase in front increases the risk of the rear brakes locking and the vehicle swapping ends, unless the vehicle is equipped with ABS or LSPV, (early gen3s had LSPV, later ones had ABS) in which case the rear brake force is going to be limited by the system and you're back exactly where you were before.

The real advantage of rear discs over drums is for folks who are out in gloopy liquid mud - once that gets trapped inside the drums, the drum/lining wear rate increases significantly.

More
10 Dec 2021 14:45 #240585 by Roger Fairclough
I agree with the basics of fordem's comments. during heavy braking, most of the effort, probably 80%, comes from the front, so adding discs is a waste of money. If you are going to fill the drums with muck on a regular basis, then there is a call for discs, but only if you go to the extent of a conversion to a fully floating hub design. The standard design of a single ball race allows the half shaft a degree of end movement that can push the caliper piston further into the housing than is necessary. This causes a disconcerting amount of free play in the brake pedal. Not nice! This end movement does not affect drum brakes as the shoes can move across the machined surface of the drum.
So yes, disc brakes are better for off-road use in muck, but you will still need to check them on a regular basis as most calipers these days use a single piston design with a sliding body and water/muck on the pins will create problems.

Roger

More
10 Dec 2021 17:53 #240587 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic How good are G3 Brakes?
Thanks all, some interesting points and suggestions.

Rear disks are not for me. As said a good investment if you hit the mud, but it's the fronts doing most of the work and the current vehicle balance feels fine.
Roger - Your test stop is similar to what I am experiencing. It initially felt ok, but more pressure by my foot did little more, "wooden" is my description.
Maybe the ABS did kick in, but in the past I have always been aware when this happens, I can feel the pulses in the pedal, this time I did not feel this  which is why I suspect it did not. I will try it again this weekend without the added distraction of a real object to hit, maybe I did not notice as I my concentration was on avoidance duty.
Lambert - On the fence with EBC green stuff, not sure it's worth the price difference. I think I will give it a try when the pads need replacing.

I think I will start with the simple stuff assuming my weekend ABS test confirms I can't get it going on dry roads.
  1. My front calipers should be OK as I service at each pad change, but it's possible they are starting to seize up, so simple service.
  2. My rear shoes are probably original and I've not seen them for 3 years, so I'll service and fit new.
  3. Guilty as most of never changing my brake fluid, so time to change. As I plan to chang the fluid I may consider new hoses on the front, also maybe now past their best.
Its a plan ! I'll do it over Christmas and report back if it makes any difference. 
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
10 Dec 2021 18:02 #240588 by Roger Fairclough
Mike.
I never felt any pulsing which, to me, is an indication as to how well modern ABS systems work. EBC do not appear to make pads for a Gen.4 so can't comment.
On my LC the hoses were original ( 25 years old ) and showed no deterioration.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Dec 2021 18:29 #240589 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic How good are G3 Brakes?
The thing with ebc is that the more you work them the better they get within reason. On Dreadnaught I had higher boiling point fluid and that made it possible to keep going when really trying especially on track. I'm not sure if I intend to do it again for Temeraire as she doesn't lend to such frantic behaviour. Also having just replaced the brakes on my main livestock trailer with 200x50s instead of 203x40s I'm hoping that now I won't be pushing Temeraire so hard on the downhills. It's all about minimised risk exposure.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Dec 2021 23:16 #240595 by LM42
Replied by LM42 on topic Re:How good are G3 Brakes?
Best reason for rear disc conversion is the service to do the rear wheel bearing takes ages with drums, and an hour with disks, if anything drum gives a better hand brake action, but prefer discs 100% , done 2 conversions so far, and a third soon

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds