BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2WD Light flashing contiuesly

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2020 12:09 #219882 by wilt
2WD Light flashing contiuesly was created by wilt
Hello Newbie here
How can I get the 2WD light to stop flashing although I have pressed the 4 WD & 4WDL can it be deleted by an OBD reader?
I have also read about there being a Vacuum Pump supplying vacuum to the Drive Hubs but I don't want to go down that road yet,by the way it's late 2006 modle

Thanks

Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2020 16:18 #219894 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic 2WD Light flashing contiuesly
Hi Keith, I'm sure someone will be along to point you to the right info!
The vacuum is supplied from the intake manifold.
Gaz

Attachments:

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2020 12:41 #219921 by wilt
Replied by wilt on topic 2WD Light flashing contiuesly
Hi Gaz,yeah been to that point took the pipe of the Vacuum Solenoid & was sucking good pardon the expression re-connected it to the solenoid took the bottom one off & noted with the Engine running no sucky,sucky I'm guessing the solenoid should be energised & delivering to the vacuum tank?coincidence or what not long had the Car and had new Back Box & Middle Section fitted new Clutch & Release Bearing fitted allegedly new Rear Shock Absorber & now this has happened apart from Front N/S Coil Spring has a piece missing & worst of all noticed when about to replace both belts theres a crack in the EngineBlock/Timing Case where the Altenator Adjusting Screw tightens think I got my hands full here

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2020 12:44 #219922 by wilt
Nice pic by the way :o)

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2020 21:30 #219955 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic 2WD Light flashing contiuesly
Cheers! Sorry to hear about your probs Keith..I have only had my '05 since the beginning of last December and I haven't had a look underneath mine yet. I have the flashing light too! I bought it from 45 miles away and didn't try the 4WD as wanted to be a good boy and get it on the grass first, and sure enough, it didn't engage 4WD and just got the flashing icon...Took it to my local garage and asked him to have a look for anything 'hanging off' and found one of the flexy pipes had come off, which he replaced but it still won't work!, as far as I can make out from the excellent posts on here, the ECU is waiting to get he signal that the hubs are locked..I'm wondering what is wrong? I roughly priced the major components to replace but it crept up to £1500+ so I've bought a pair of manual locking hubs and do what the other guys on here have said, and that is blank the inlet hole and short the contacts on the vacuum switch but not sure if that will stop the light from hell flashing? And will I be able to select low range too?
Have you thought of getting a mobile welder round to patch it in situ?
Gaz

More
17 Mar 2020 07:35 #219969 by kirkynut
The light is flashing to indicate that there's a vacuum leak somewhere in the system. That's all.

Due to the free-wheeling hubs being vacuum operated they have likely not locked and you are therefore unlikely to have 4wd.

There are many places that the vacuum can leak. It could be any of the pipes broken or pulled off. Or it could be a seal inside the steering knuckle.

It's for this reason that people get rid of them in favour of manual hubs and block off the vacuum system in the engine bay (see the wiki for instructions) to fool it. There's also a way of fooling it electronically (also possibly on the wiki) so you can just block the vacuum off at the manifold.

You can chase the leak if you wish but don't blame me if you go mad doing it!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

More
17 Mar 2020 11:17 #219978 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2WD Light flashing contiuesly
It doesn't take long to find the leak if you are methodical, but worse case scenario is you have to bypass the whole lot with silicon hose, which will cost about £10 and take around an hour.
If the leak is in the hub it's because you have a wheel bearing gone. Fix that before it kills you and the 4wd will come back to life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2020 12:23 #219982 by wilt
Wow! Thanks for the informative reply.I only bought mine in January like you I didn't try all the features & am now left with this headache.I have been reading the threads on here & find the very informative as yours is,I was messing with the switches I did hear a bit of a 'clunk' sound after that the 2WD light was flashing I have checked the Vacuum pipe to the solenoid it seems I'm not getting 12volts to the solenoid so I need to trace that fault out if I can get a wiring diagram for my particular model '06' Jimmy's as for the Altenator mount probably change the belt first before it completely breaks away the grind into a little then pack it out with Aluminium Putty epoxy?

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds