BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof Top Lights... How and Where?

More
10 Jan 2011 09:23 #9291 by mcjimny
As above - only lights fitted from the factory are subject to MOT rules.
The only law/rule for roof lights iirc is that any lights behind the front axle must be able to be switched off or along those lines. So you can wire them through the main beam but you will need a 3 way switch so they can be switched off seperate to the main beam.

Ooky out of curiosity what route did you take with the wires to the engine bay?
I was going to take mine down the a-pillar just take a notch out of the back of the aerial mount then seal with silicone after. The wires will run nice and tidy along the roof bars and factory roof rails to reach that point. Only other way i thought of was to get a snorkel sooner and take them down the back of that?

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2011 09:37 #9293 by ooky_123
Regarding wires, I lost the plot trying to get the end caps off. The origional plan was to run the wires though the roof inside the front roof bar mount.
However ...
In reality, I managed to stab myself with a screwdriver whilst tryign to remove the endcap. This resulted in me loosing my temper.
In a fit of blind rage, and with an exclamation of "F**k it"!!!! I drilled a 8mm hole in the roof under the light pod.

The origional plan was to run the cables into the vehicle and down the A pillar, so I ran the cables though the roof, and then down the A Pillar and behind the dash.
I picked up a live from the stereo for the switch, and ran a live from the battery, though one of the cable runs and into the cabin just above the main loom (above the pedals).

The rear plough lights also go through the roof and behind the headlining.
These pickup a live feed from the same supply as the front lights (ran this from front to rear under the carpet).

I have a separate switch for the rear lights, but the plan is to change to a 3 position switch allowing me to turn them off, on, or to come on with the reversing lights .. that is a job for the summer !

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
10 Jan 2011 09:51 #9295 by mcjimny
Spot on info ooky.

I now i shouldn't but i lol'd @ the temper! I've very often walked off and beat stuff with a bfh so i don't do more damage to the car or myself! Otherwise i'd be p*ssed off about struggling in the first place AND with having to repair damage from my temper! It's always the small 10 minute things that become a morning of frustration too:angry:

Cars are like women imho they both there to try us.........

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2011 20:25 - 11 Jan 2011 20:30 #9413 by lukeyblunt
Replied by lukeyblunt on topic Re: Roof Top Lights... How and Where?
Hello people of the 'lights' topic!
I've just finished mounting 1 of 4 rooflights and I know how you all love pictures. (Although i'm not sure how significant these may be to anybody.)
Nevertheless, this is how i went about it.

Attachment ruflights.png not found

Piece of brushed ally cut with a jigsaw, bent 90degrees and marked with holes for 'U' bolt.

Attachment rufflights2.png not found

The 90degree bend holds the bracket (that came with the light).

Attachment rufflights3.png not found

The 'U' bolt fits snug over the roofbar, mounting the light low. I still need to cut the 'U' bolts down a tad.

Attachment rufflights4.png not found

and... VWALLAH! Yeah okay, i got 3 more to do.
...but it's not too bad for a 17yr old !! B)

Thanks, everyone, for all your help !!
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jan 2011 20:30 by lukeyblunt. Reason: edited text

More
11 Jan 2011 20:34 #9415 by ooky_123
looks good. Similar to the ones I knocked up, only I used 4mm steel hinge pins from wickes. Look really good, and with Ali, you don't have corrosion to worry about

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland
The following user(s) said Thank You: lukeyblunt

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2011 21:08 #9547 by lukeyblunt
:cheer: HI ALL!!

Got them all on. Took a while but it's all good. i think. :blink:
Looking back over photos, might need a few tweeks on the angles and height.
I'm hoping they work as planned. They are set back far enough to block any light from the bonnet - which is good, as my friends lights on his defender are pretty much useless. They illuminate the bonnet which has the 'light pollution' effect, distracting your eyes somehow blah blah blah.
"but they're angel eye, so they look good!"
Yet to wire them up - i'll probably get someone in to do it cus i need an aerial put in aswel.

Not looking forward to driving it fast with these on. i'm curious as to whether they whistle or not. (or fall off!)
i know the roofbars 'whurr' - i dont want another instrument to the ochestra!
So fingers crossed.

Attachment allathalights.png not found

Thanks again everybody!
Attachments:

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 12:52 #9569 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Roof Top Lights... How and Where?
they look great!

the whirring would drive me mad!

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 14:19 #9576 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: Roof Top Lights... How and Where?
I've only found that the roof bars and roof box on mine only whistle when you get near 60mph. Once above 60, its a case of tuning up the radio. Beyond 70mph :blush: your to busy fighting with cross winds etc to worry about the noise :lol:

More
14 Jan 2011 14:44 #9578 by mcjimny
Mine whirr a little, its only marginally worse than just the bars on their own. As said just crank the stereo and drown it out!

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 15:28 #9583 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Roof Top Lights... How and Where?
take the carpets out and you won't hear the whirring ........... or the radio

:laugh:

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2011 15:30 #9584 by lukeyblunt
The carpets..? do jimnys even have carpets?!

More
14 Jan 2011 23:45 #9677 by mcjimny

darthloachie wrote: take the carpets out and you won't hear the whirring ........... or the radio

:laugh:

or yourself think........or the wife nagging?

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds