BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof Top Lights... How and Where?

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2010 17:49 #3547 by lukeyblunt
Roof Top Lights... How and Where? was created by lukeyblunt
Hi all.. I'm very new to this site and was hoping if i could find some help, seeing as most Halfords staff are idiots.

I'm only 16 and have bought a Jimny for my first car because i like to go shooting and fishing, and thought it would be handy for the dirt roads.
I have looked into all sorts of rooftop lights which will come in handy for lamping (or shooting at night).. but i can't seem to find any to fit my Jimny. its a 1.3 JLX 54plate. and its looking a bit Stock.
Being 16, my parents dont want me drilling any (obvious) holes.. and my Mother says exterior cages are.. excessive. -pfft-

Could anybody point me in the right direction?
Thanks very much,
Luke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2010 21:02 #3553 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re:Roof Top Lights... How and Where?
have a look at 4x4at website
they stick on with double sided tape
www.4x4at.com/product_info.php?id=5614&cid=2&product_id=98

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2010 21:56 #3554 by lukeyblunt
Replied by lukeyblunt on topic Re:Roof Top Lights... How and Where?
Ahh Okay. Thanks very much! thats an idea!

Although.. if i ever wanted to remove them, it would be a task. I dont spose they're all that secure.. ?
Do you know anybody who could you recommend them?

Thanks again.

More
05 Jun 2010 17:16 #3561 by kirkynut
What about roof rack type bars and mount roof lights to the front one. You could do it with no drilling too - clamp an exhaust clamp to the front bar with the threads pointing upwards and then bolt the light to the front thread of the clamp with a second nut.

It just so happens that I have some lockable Thule roof bars for sale at the moment too... PM me if interested.

You are correct about Halfords staff too!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• foxshooter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2010 19:00 #3562 by foxshooter
Replied by foxshooter on topic Re:Roof Top Lights... How and Where?
As a shooting man

What is your budget?

Are you after remote control or fixed?

Are they to be for driving or shooting?

Mark

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2010 19:26 #3564 by lukeyblunt
Hi there!
My budget is only around £80-90. and the lights will be mostly used for shooting.
and im not too familiar with the types of lights, but fixed lighting sounds fine for me.

I may just build a frame from the existing roof bars if worste comes to worste.
What would you recommend ?

• foxshooter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2010 03:00 - 06 Jun 2010 03:25 #3566 by foxshooter
Well your budget is the limiting factor (as usual)

For a remote operated light have a look for 'Golight' options are available with wired or wireless remote control. Coloured filters available too.

www.golight.com/

Mine attaches with a suction clamp but comes with a shoe for permanant mounting if needed (I siliconed my shoe to the sunroof)There are some cheaper clones of these with less tight beams, it depends on what you want for your shooting needs.

For the best lamps bar none look at 'Lightforce'

www.lightforce.net.au/index

Their lights are nothing short of fantastic. They do HID, hand held, scope mounted, driving lights and a roof mounted variant in 3 different sizes. 140mm, 170mm and 240mm The light output is incredible with an adjustable beam from tight pencil to flood in seconds. Coloured filters including IR available if you like to hunt with NV

Go to youtube and search for 'light logic' there are a lot of associated videos of LF lamps in use too

I suppose there is always the std driving lights available from Halfrauds and the like. These will be good driving lights but not so good for shooting. Its very much a compromise dependent on use and budget. Check out the Hella Rallye 3000 on the likes of ebay.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hella-Rallye-3000-BLUE-Dr...&hash=item2a0787f309

These fit your budget but are driving lights not shooting lights

Have a look at 'roo lites' too, Just been informed that they are very good driving lights and also fit your budget (sorry no link)

Sorry its such a minefield

Mark
Last edit: 06 Jun 2010 03:25 by foxshooter.

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2010 19:17 #3570 by lukeyblunt
Fantastic ! Thanks very Much! You're a great help!
The suction clamps sound like a good idea.
I'm really not looking for anything too expensive or too advanced. Anything second hand will do me fine - within reason.
I'll shop around and see what i can find.

I dont suppose you know exactly what kind of xenon bulbs i'll be looking for to replace the headlights? and where can i get fog lights.. and how can i wire them up?

Thanks again.
Luke.

• foxshooter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2010 11:30 #3575 by foxshooter
You can get fog lights from Ebay from time to time, however they are expensive in my opinion and offer little in return (how often do you use front foglights!!) Yo'd be better off adding the money to your driving lights cash. At least you can use them every time you use high beam.

As far as replacing headlamp bulbsyou are going to be limited by whats legal. 55w/60w. halfrauds is as good as any or your local motor factor. If its going to be for off road only and your fuses/wiring can handle it you can get 90w/100w bulbs

Mark

• lukeyblunt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2010 16:51 #3587 by lukeyblunt
Ahh Okay. Fantastic :)

I basically just want to put some lights anywhere possible for all-round usage. Seeing as i can't drive legally yet, i'm not TOO much of an enthusiast, therefore im only looking for some cheap solutions for the time being.
I might well have a look into the bulb upgrades, and will probably find myself saving for some fog lights.

How and where can you wire switches for all these lights?

Thanks again,
Luke

More
03 Nov 2010 20:18 #5691 by ooky_123
Just to resurect this thread ... finally managed to get the rood lights fixed and tested.

Attachment light1.jpg not found

Attachment light2.jpg not found

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland
Attachments:

More
03 Nov 2010 21:19 #5697 by kirkynut
Looking good Jason!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds