A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
Less
More
- Posts: 2334
- Thank you received: 667
05 Jul 2021 13:13 #236418
by DrRobin
2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog
Replied by DrRobin on topic Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
One of my belts squeeled a bit on start up, especially when turning the steering wheel (power steering increases load). I thought it was probably a bit slack, but before I could fix it the crank pulley failed and one belt came off. Unfortunately one belt was damaged, but I replaced both.
After doing all of the work, twice as it happens as the new pulley arrived with damage and had to be replaced, the squeeling was still there, so I checked the tension and it was a little out, after it was tightened the squeeling went.
You might want to check the tension, if that is okay then have a look at the pulley.
I have been to Bonaire a couple of times on a cruise about 11 years ago, loved the place. I am not sure where you will get replacement belts, possibly a Suzuki dealer or motor factors, or possible have them mailed in.
After doing all of the work, twice as it happens as the new pulley arrived with damage and had to be replaced, the squeeling was still there, so I checked the tension and it was a little out, after it was tightened the squeeling went.
You might want to check the tension, if that is okay then have a look at the pulley.
I have been to Bonaire a couple of times on a cruise about 11 years ago, loved the place. I am not sure where you will get replacement belts, possibly a Suzuki dealer or motor factors, or possible have them mailed in.
2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog
The following user(s) said Thank You: bonairediver2021
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- bonairediver2021
- Topic Author
- Offline
- Junior Member
-

Registered
Less
More
- Posts: 23
- Thank you received: 0
05 Jul 2021 14:15 #236422
by bonairediver2021
Replied by bonairediver2021 on topic Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
I've attached some photos of my 2003 Jimny engine and belts..... looking for advice on what belts to get to replace these and where to buy them? thanks all!
Anthony
Anthony
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
07 Jul 2021 07:16 #236471
by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
Couldn't tell you without taking them off and measuring. Not many K6A Jimnys in the UK! If you look on ebay someone will be selling them with the sizes in the advert.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- bonairediver2021
- Topic Author
- Offline
- Junior Member
-

Registered
Less
More
- Posts: 23
- Thank you received: 0
07 Jul 2021 14:24 #236490
by bonairediver2021
Replied by bonairediver2021 on topic Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
Update on my squeeling drive belts on my used 2003 Jimny I brought to the island of Bonaire from Japan via a ROR ship....
I stopped by a local mechanic.... they said both belts were loose, especially the belt that drives the AC compressor.... in 10 minutes he had them all snug....noise gone...and no charge for the work! What a brilliant young Bonairian mechanic he was....and a generous supervisor/garage which did it for free! Amazing good news!
I stopped by a local mechanic.... they said both belts were loose, especially the belt that drives the AC compressor.... in 10 minutes he had them all snug....noise gone...and no charge for the work! What a brilliant young Bonairian mechanic he was....and a generous supervisor/garage which did it for free! Amazing good news!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 2334
- Thank you received: 667
07 Jul 2021 14:36 #236493
by DrRobin
2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog
Replied by DrRobin on topic Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
Excellent outcome. It is amazing how tight the belts need to be, I think it is around 7mm movement, but the easiest way is to twist the belt in the middle of the longest run, it should twist through 90 degrees with a little bit of effort, but no further.
Still if you can get the garage to do it for free, even better. Best drop off a bottle of the local good stuff sometime.
Robin
Still if you can get the garage to do it for free, even better. Best drop off a bottle of the local good stuff sometime.
Robin
2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
