A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
- bonairediver2021
- Topic Author
- Offline
- Junior Member
-

Registered
Less
More
- Posts: 23
- Thank you received: 0
04 Jul 2021 01:00 #236368
by bonairediver2021
Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny was created by bonairediver2021
I bought a used 2003 Jimny from Japan.... and the drive belts are making noises.... can anybody advise me what belts to order and where to order new belts that will fit appropriately?'
Thanks!
Anthony
Thanks!
Anthony
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 9982
- Thank you received: 1999
04 Jul 2021 06:03 #236375
by Lambert
Temeraire R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon daily dose of disappointment.
Leviathan 155 prado shortie. Aka the biggest small car in the world.
Replied by Lambert on topic Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
Welcome to the forum. Do you know which engine it has installed, if not can you post a picture so we can identify? The most likely will be a 4pksomething which relates to the pulley style and length. Alternatively if you have the vin number you can contact Martin in the shop at the top of the page and he can supply from that.
Temeraire R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon daily dose of disappointment.
Leviathan 155 prado shortie. Aka the biggest small car in the world.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
04 Jul 2021 08:00 #236377
by mlines
Martin
2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
Have you checked around as noisy belts is often something like the crank pulley failing, alternator bearings on the way out or the water pump.
Sent from my moto g(
power using Tapatalk
Sent from my moto g(
Martin
2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
04 Jul 2021 10:05 #236383
by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
I second Martin there. A belt never makes any noise except for squeaking, if it is to loose or if one of the components that are driven by the belt have a too high resistance usually because of a damaged bearing.
What noise does your belt make and when?
For example, I like it if the belt is on the loose side. This leads to a short squeaking of the alternator right after starting the engine because then the alternator has the highest output and consequently the highest resistance, but only for some seconds.
The reason I like the little looser belts is:
- I think that the bearings of the components have a little less load and last longer
- If the squeaking lasts longer I know that there is an issue with the charging, usually it indicates that the battery is dying.
What noise does your belt make and when?
For example, I like it if the belt is on the loose side. This leads to a short squeaking of the alternator right after starting the engine because then the alternator has the highest output and consequently the highest resistance, but only for some seconds.
The reason I like the little looser belts is:
- I think that the bearings of the components have a little less load and last longer
- If the squeaking lasts longer I know that there is an issue with the charging, usually it indicates that the battery is dying.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- bonairediver2021
- Topic Author
- Offline
- Junior Member
-

Registered
Less
More
- Posts: 23
- Thank you received: 0
05 Jul 2021 13:00 - 05 Jul 2021 13:01 #236416
by bonairediver2021
Replied by bonairediver2021 on topic Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
Thanks for your kind replies! I'll try to post a photo of the engine here shortly.
The belts make a squeeling noise when first starting up....but not always.... about half the time. I live on an island (Bonaire) at the end of a road where lots of dirt road dust blows down the road at the Jimny. I'm guessing the dust keeps causing the belts to slip when first starting? Also, I park near the sea often and after a park near the sea, the belts squeel for a while when first starting. I'm guessing it's moisture from the sea causing the belts to slip a bit....but the noise eventually goes away after a minute or so. I will look up the VIN and engine info and post. Thanks to all you experts!
The belts make a squeeling noise when first starting up....but not always.... about half the time. I live on an island (Bonaire) at the end of a road where lots of dirt road dust blows down the road at the Jimny. I'm guessing the dust keeps causing the belts to slip when first starting? Also, I park near the sea often and after a park near the sea, the belts squeel for a while when first starting. I'm guessing it's moisture from the sea causing the belts to slip a bit....but the noise eventually goes away after a minute or so. I will look up the VIN and engine info and post. Thanks to all you experts!
Last edit: 05 Jul 2021 13:01 by bonairediver2021. Reason: correct typo
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
05 Jul 2021 13:01 #236417
by mlines
Martin
2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny
That sound related to the Alternator. It is working hard in the first few minutes to put the starting load back into the battery, can you make it squeal more by turning on the headlights?
Martin
2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
