A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Failed MOT :(

  • Lambert
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The best Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Aug 2020 06:05 #226643 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Failed MOT :(
I have had cars failed that were only on short running. Giving them the Italian tune aka a sound ragging to clear them out has often done the trick. Though if your 02 sensor is old that will benefit from a replacement with a known good quality one, there's many fake ones about for all kinds of sensors so be careful.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • setchfield
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
14 Aug 2020 06:22 #226645 by setchfield
Replied by setchfield on topic Failed MOT :(
Thanks for the reply.
I found last years emissions report .. the car has done just 1200miles since.. I have attached it as a photo if you can glean anything from it I would appreciate any comments.
As for a reputable Lambda supplier who do you suggest?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2020 07:14 #226647 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Failed MOT :(
I have just had both Lambda sensors changed following a new exhaust, new Denso (which I believe are OE) units fitted and no issues at all....

sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Reason2doubt
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
14 Aug 2020 08:16 - 14 Aug 2020 08:16 #226651 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Failed MOT :(
This was the same issue I had this year on my 1999 Jim (back in April) despite having a new CAT installed last year.

My garage were prepared to replace my CAT thinking it was a dud however they ordered the wrong one and then ran the car with some CAT cleaner and a bit of an Italian tune up the motorway which got it through the MOT. Kind of strange... I do plan on getting a whole new exhaust (like what Sniper got from Tony Banks) at some point.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2020 08:16 by Reason2doubt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • setchfield
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
14 Aug 2020 08:16 #226652 by setchfield
Replied by setchfield on topic Failed MOT :(
Thanks Sniper.
Does my G13BB early 1999 have two Lambda sensors then? not easy to find the right info for my Jimny. I have found one that says pre cat... and then another that says post cat. .. obviously the pre cat is under the bonnet.
and the other if it has one which I will need to look at will be after the cat.
Mine has the single cat and not one at the manifold end as well.

thanks Setch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Reason2doubt
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
14 Aug 2020 08:19 #226653 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Failed MOT :(

Reason2doubt wrote: This was the same issue I had this year on my 1999 Jim (back in April) despite having a new CAT installed last year.

My garage were prepared to replace my CAT thinking it was a dud however they ordered the wrong one and then ran the car with some CAT cleaner and a bit of an Italian tune up the motorway which got it through the MOT. Kind of strange... I do plan on getting a whole new exhaust (like what Sniper got from Tony Banks) at some point.


I believe they used this: www.amazon.co.uk/Cataclean-Catalytic-Con...a-385877860030&psc=1

But to point out, I had the exact same issue on my MOT report.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
Joomla template by a4joomla
We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all of these cookies. Accepting the Cookies also accepts the Disclaimers for the website.