A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny is being choked-what could the issue be?

  • TokGuy
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
02 May 2020 02:04 #221771 by TokGuy
Well, I had it looked at by my local Suzuki dealer. The tech was unfamiliar with the 660 Turbo (obviously), but he tested it out. The vacuum lines were ok, they held a load fine he said. The distributor, he said, was fine, the car isn’t skipping, misfiring or anything. And likewise, he doesn’t suspect the fuel regulator.

He suspected a turbo issue, since it only judders and bogs under load. What do you guys think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2020 08:46 #221779 by DAGZOOK

TokGuy wrote: Well, I had it looked at by my local Suzuki dealer. The tech was unfamiliar with the 660 Turbo (obviously), but he tested it out. The vacuum lines were ok, they held a load fine he said. The distributor, he said, was fine, the car isn’t skipping, misfiring or anything. And likewise, he doesn’t suspect the fuel regulator.

He suspected a turbo issue, since it only judders and bogs under load. What do you guys think?


Hi Tok, did your mechanic test the rest of the ignition system i.e leads and spark plugs?

Usually a weak spark will cause intermittent misfire/misfire under load. (Which could wrongly be interpreted as the engine bogging).

Unfortunately I don't know enough about turbochargers to give you any advice on that! I would just be sure to rule out all of the cheap general maintenance checks first before you go chasing expensive Turbo replacements.

- Fuel delivery - Injectors aren't the easiest to test but if they're blocked or their spray pattern is effected you'll have running issues. Buy some fuel system additive/cleaner and give the car a good booting!
- Spark plugs & leads
- catalytic converter.
- Check for a blowing exhaust, cracked exhaust manifold something to that effect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2020 08:55 - 02 May 2020 08:56 #221780 by facade
When I reluctantly had a turbodiesel, the things to watch for were blocked intercooler, and the pipes leading to the turbo de-laminating and collapsing internally restricting airflow into the turbo, but looking perfect on the outside.
I suppose the wastegate could be stuck open, or whatever operates it operates too soon, there is usually a test port somewhere to measure the boost pressure, but with an ecu and fuel injection I'd have thought you would get some sort of malfunction light and an error code for low boost.

I'm quite old now, and I've never believed in turbos I'm afraid, so I don't know a great deal about them- it is actually the reason I bought the Gen 4 when I did, as I had picked up on rumours that suzuki might fit some tiny turbo engine.

Whilst you have the inlet pipe off the turbo you can see if the turbo is worn out ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 02 May 2020 08:56 by facade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • TokGuy
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
02 May 2020 18:55 #221814 by TokGuy

GeorgeC wrote: I may be suggesting the obvious and the already tried:
1. Test drive without the air filter.
2. Check the muffler, resonator (if fitted), cat converter (if fitted), and exhaust system for loose metal/rust clogging it up, does it rattle when shaken?
3. Are you using the best fuel, highest octane?


Yes, I have checked the lot. 91 Octane, and the exhaust system is still very fresh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
03 May 2020 20:31 #221857 by Fossie
We use higher octane on our bikes ...mpg is better as is pick up...equally older (80s-90's ) bikes suffer badly with fuel pipes degrading with high ethanol content fuel which is lower octane.....I add this because I wonder if our North American cousins have the ethanol scurge worse than us with more of it ....so an early example Jimny could have this problem ..
I 've had early Estima diesel turbo before and a common fault was the Turbo actuator seizing , as it was vacuum operated ..to open waste gate ...this caused it to loose acceleration .....being a diesel it wouldn't bog down But a petrol engine would.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Joomla template by a4joomla
We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all of these cookies. Accepting the Cookies also accepts the Disclaimers for the website.