A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
I don't know where to start? But I know where I want to finish..
04 Mar 2020 07:57 #219355
by kirkynut
The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.
My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Replied by kirkynut on topic I don't know where to start?
For wheels to look a bit wider without causing clearance issues and still satisfying your black wheel fetish, have a look at these in the 15mm offset option:
www.jimnybits.com/jimny/wheels-wheel-spa...lar-steel-wheel.html
Ground clearance is the issue on the Jimjam. To gain ground clearance you need bigger tyres and to fit bigger tyres you might need a lift and to turn bigger tyres over 215.75.15 you will need gear reduction.
Ground clearance often only becomes an issue when you are in ruts. On virgin ground a standard Jimny is quite capable as had been said.
195.80.15 is taller than standard tyre size but smaller than 215.75.15, so could be the answer you need. They fit a standard Jimny if a new tyre is fitted, not a remould.
Kirkynut
www.jimnybits.com/jimny/wheels-wheel-spa...lar-steel-wheel.html
Ground clearance is the issue on the Jimjam. To gain ground clearance you need bigger tyres and to fit bigger tyres you might need a lift and to turn bigger tyres over 215.75.15 you will need gear reduction.
Ground clearance often only becomes an issue when you are in ruts. On virgin ground a standard Jimny is quite capable as had been said.
195.80.15 is taller than standard tyre size but smaller than 215.75.15, so could be the answer you need. They fit a standard Jimny if a new tyre is fitted, not a remould.
Kirkynut
The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.
My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philosophical
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Philosophical
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
08 Mar 2020 12:07 #219590
by Philosophical
Replied by Philosophical on topic I don't know where to start?
Okey Dokey..
I brought the Jimny I had my eye on, a Gen3 2014 automatic. My plan is to buy and fit the 2" lift kit from the BigJimny shop, then fit new tyres and wheels straight after. If I fit tyres bigger than 215.75.15 I will need a gear reduction which I wasn't expecting. Would I get away without a gear reduction if I get the 215.75.15?
Phil
I brought the Jimny I had my eye on, a Gen3 2014 automatic. My plan is to buy and fit the 2" lift kit from the BigJimny shop, then fit new tyres and wheels straight after. If I fit tyres bigger than 215.75.15 I will need a gear reduction which I wasn't expecting. Would I get away without a gear reduction if I get the 215.75.15?
Phil
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- jackonlyjack
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-

Registered
Less
More
- Posts: 3111
- Thank you received: 707
08 Mar 2020 12:58 #219593
by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic I don't know where to start?
215/75/15 fit and fine without gearing issues
Other lift kits are available although trial master is considered the best
Other lift kits are available although trial master is considered the best
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philosophical
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Philosophical
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
10 Mar 2020 11:04 #219677
by Philosophical
Replied by Philosophical on topic I don't know where to start?
Hi jackonlyjack
Just to be clear, will the 215/75/15 fit and not rub the arches without a 2" lift?
Or, a 2" lift will be required so they do fit without rubbing the arches?
Phil
Just to be clear, will the 215/75/15 fit and not rub the arches without a 2" lift?
Or, a 2" lift will be required so they do fit without rubbing the arches?
Phil
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 Mar 2020 12:27 #219678
by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic I don't know where to start?
When I bought my 05' car, the suspension was very very tired. Shocks and springs were original at 75k and looked it, sat low for a Jimny.
I fitted BFG KO2's 215/75x15 on standard jlx alloys with no spacers. There were no issues at all, no rubbing at all.
I fitted 30mm spacers and then had a very minor catch at full lock. Fitted new springs at standard height and no more catching.
No lift is needed for 215's but if you fit spacers, you may have issue if your suspension is knackered.
sniper
I fitted BFG KO2's 215/75x15 on standard jlx alloys with no spacers. There were no issues at all, no rubbing at all.
I fitted 30mm spacers and then had a very minor catch at full lock. Fitted new springs at standard height and no more catching.
No lift is needed for 215's but if you fit spacers, you may have issue if your suspension is knackered.
sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philosophical
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- jackonlyjack
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-

Registered
Less
More
- Posts: 3111
- Thank you received: 707
10 Mar 2020 12:57 #219680
by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic I don't know where to start?
Answers above 
thanks sniper
thanks sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper, Philosophical
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 2.983 seconds
