A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
Transfer box mounts
22 Feb 2020 11:19 #218879
by mlines
Martin
2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Transfer box mounts was created by mlines
Chasing perfection in my set up.
Had anyone found rubber bobbin mounts that achieve "Andrex" levels of performance ( i.e soft but strong) but a Lidl prices
Martin
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Had anyone found rubber bobbin mounts that achieve "Andrex" levels of performance ( i.e soft but strong) but a Lidl prices
Martin
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Martin
2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
22 Feb 2020 13:24 #218884
by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Transfer box mounts
Have a look at commercial anti vibration mounts, if you know the weight of the unit you can get a close match..
sniper
sniper
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Daniel30
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
23 Feb 2020 00:29 #218917
by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Transfer box mounts
i use the standard suzuki ones, no problems so far
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
24 Feb 2020 07:39 #218985
by kirkynut
The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.
My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Replied by kirkynut on topic Transfer box mounts
I've been here and failed on my Jimny this far, so I'm stuck with the bolt through solution that transmits noise through the three bolts that pass through the chassis mounts and my Rock Bucket from Rockwatt.
I know that you have an early or even pre-production Off Road Armoury mounting system for your rocklobster, so you might have more space.
I bought some KAP heavy duty SJ transfer box mounts. They're just like standard SJ bushes but a bit firmer rubber. Nonetheless they are rubber bonded to the thread to bolt them in, the same as the original SJ mounts and just slightly bigger than Jimny standard mounts.
There just isn't enough room between the box and the floor pan, so the mount pushes the box up to the floor pan so they are firmly pushed together.
I tried standard Jimny transfer box mounts, no different.
So it all depends upon the space you have above the transfer box to the floor pan.
Do you have standard mounts to try as if they don't fit, nothing will and you'll be in the same boat I'm in with my Rockbucket?
If you don't have standard mounts I can look to see if I still have them to send them to you. If you then have the space to spare, standard SJ mounts might be the way to go.
My friend and I were discussing this a few weeks ago. The only real solution is to make up a new transfer box mounting system that lowers the transfer box slightly to give the space.
I wonder if both ORA and Rockwatt mounted them so close to the floor pan as they have for a reason, either ground clearance or mini prop UJ angle.
I don't think that the mini prop angle will be too bad though.
My friend ran a 4:1 Rocklobster on his SJ 413 with standard SJ mounts and had no issues, so they are strong enough but my experience with the standard Jimny mounts is that they are too small and even a standard Jimny box pulls them apart after a while. They are cheap and easy to replace, so if you don't mind replacing them in the field every now and then could be the solution if SJ ones don't fit but I'd be tired of it in no time.
Kirkynut
I know that you have an early or even pre-production Off Road Armoury mounting system for your rocklobster, so you might have more space.
I bought some KAP heavy duty SJ transfer box mounts. They're just like standard SJ bushes but a bit firmer rubber. Nonetheless they are rubber bonded to the thread to bolt them in, the same as the original SJ mounts and just slightly bigger than Jimny standard mounts.
There just isn't enough room between the box and the floor pan, so the mount pushes the box up to the floor pan so they are firmly pushed together.
I tried standard Jimny transfer box mounts, no different.
So it all depends upon the space you have above the transfer box to the floor pan.
Do you have standard mounts to try as if they don't fit, nothing will and you'll be in the same boat I'm in with my Rockbucket?
If you don't have standard mounts I can look to see if I still have them to send them to you. If you then have the space to spare, standard SJ mounts might be the way to go.
My friend and I were discussing this a few weeks ago. The only real solution is to make up a new transfer box mounting system that lowers the transfer box slightly to give the space.
I wonder if both ORA and Rockwatt mounted them so close to the floor pan as they have for a reason, either ground clearance or mini prop UJ angle.
I don't think that the mini prop angle will be too bad though.
My friend ran a 4:1 Rocklobster on his SJ 413 with standard SJ mounts and had no issues, so they are strong enough but my experience with the standard Jimny mounts is that they are too small and even a standard Jimny box pulls them apart after a while. They are cheap and easy to replace, so if you don't mind replacing them in the field every now and then could be the solution if SJ ones don't fit but I'd be tired of it in no time.
Kirkynut
The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.
My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds
