BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:DrRobin's Northumberland Jimny

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
17 Apr 2024 11:35 #255615 by DrRobin

Which one?
I used to subscribe to pocketgpsworld.
They don't support the SLDA, and I can't remember how I got it to work, I could do with an update!

The SLDA just requires a .CSV file which is in the format

<longitude>,<latitude>,<Device Name>

Example
-3.71973,51.52465,A MOBILE SPEED CAMERA LIMIT 70 MPH
-1.57768,55.02809,A MOBILE SPEED CAMERA LIMIT 30 MPH
-0.91932,52.24379,A MOBILE SPEED CAMERA LIMIT 30 MPH
-0.35704,53.77685,A MOBILE SPEED CAMERA LIMIT 30 MPH

There are other optional fields but they are not required.

Nearly all of the .CSV files that are supplied by the data providers (PocketGPSWorld) are in the correct format, but if Suzuki SLDA isn't listed then 'Nissan Connect' is the format which is suggested.

I bought the Fixed (Gatso, Specs, includes the average speed warnings), Red Light and Mobile cameras from SpeedCams.co.uk (www.speedcams.co.uk/shop/suzuki), it was £9.99 as a download with full instructions.  Then just put it on a memory stick and the Sat Nav automatically updates.

It's a good deal cheaper than PocketGPSWorld (£19.95) but I don't think Speedcams includes free updates for 12 months, although they do say there is a discount when updating and the cameras don't change very often.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
17 Apr 2024 11:44 #255616 by DrRobin
I added rear speakers, wow what a difference to the sound.

Brackets

Speakers

The whole job took about 2 hours, but I did find some bird seed and a £1 coin under the back seat/trim, left by the previous owner.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2024 15:06 #255618 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:DrRobin's Northumberland Jimny
I was put off fitting rears by the mediocre sound from the Pioneers.  They're better than the stock speakers, but they're not great.  Unfortunately very few 13cm speakers actually fit - most are designed for a somewhat bigger hole.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Apr 2024 16:23 #255621 by Lambert
So much room for activities in there, way better than the gen3, I'd have that lined out and sealed in mdf for something interesting in no time.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
17 Apr 2024 16:30 #255623 by DrRobin

So much room for activities in there, way better than the gen3, I'd have that lined out and sealed in mdf for something interesting in no time.

As the Gen 4 doesn't have the useless arm rests/pockets in the rear it is actually a lot wider in the back.  However, the rear seats, toolbox and side pieces are made of ultra slippy material and anything put in the rear soon ends up at one side or in the front footwells.  I bought the genuine rubber mat, that helps a lot, but have just ordered fake leather mats which fix to the seat backs, sides and tool box as I am fed up with my stuff sliding around when I can't be bothered to put both seats down and use the large rubber mat.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Apr 2024 16:34 #255624 by Lambert
So that entire void could be made into an enclosure without the door cards intruding into it?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
17 Apr 2024 16:35 #255625 by DrRobin

I was put off fitting rears by the mediocre sound from the Pioneers.  They're better than the stock speakers, but they're not great.  Unfortunately very few 13cm speakers actually fit - most are designed for a somewhat bigger hole.

I bought Pioneer TS-G1330F, they are a 3-way speaker, 250W each, but that is a peak power for £26 and fitted without a problem.  For the money, they are great and for my mix of rock music (metal) and Radio 4, I am not going to notice the difference in something costing much more.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
23 Apr 2024 13:07 #255742 by DrRobin
The large rubber mat is fine if both seats are down, but it is no good if one or both seats are up, everything still slides about.

So I bought a faux leather mat set for the back (£50 from AliE).

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
26 Apr 2024 13:24 - 26 Apr 2024 13:26 #255788 by DrRobin
Gave it a clean (it was filthy from mud going through roadwork), selective areas polished and then when dry applied a Ceramic Coat.

The black plastic trim was is a terrible state, fortunately ’Back to Black’ sorted it, but took a lot of effort.

The paint on the roof has been damaged, by what looks like bird poo, it's etched through the suface of the paint and you can see the primer.

There is also paint damage to the drivers door, it looks like another car door has repeatedly banged against the door and chipped the paint in a line.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Last edit: 26 Apr 2024 13:26 by DrRobin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
27 Apr 2024 11:44 #255795 by jlines
I’ve heard a few people say now that bird poo has ruined the paintwork on their Jimnys so it’s defiantly something you want to wash off quickly when it gets on the car.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Apr 2024 11:57 #255796 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:DrRobin's Northumberland Jimny
Suzuki paint is better than most, but no modern factory car paint is as hard and resistant as the old stuff. It's all water-based except for the top lacquer.  Two-pack or nitrocellulose was much better-wearing.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
27 Apr 2024 17:57 #255798 by DrRobin

I’ve heard a few people say now that bird poo has ruined the paintwork on their Jimnys so it’s defiantly something you want to wash off quickly when it gets on the car.

Normally I am quick to remove any poo, even celulose pint can get marked and as Roger says water based paint is even worse but I didn't notice it before I was away on holiday and only saw it when I came back, so it could have been on there for a week +.

However, I remember the photos in the garage ad, two of them showed a mark on the roof and another two didn't so thought it was a trick of the light and I looked at the roof before buying and it looked clean.  I have just gone back and the two advert photos which show a mark are in the exact spot, so it must have had it when I bought it and didn't notice it.  I think I will get some paint, now I know it's there I see it all of the time.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds