BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Halfords Dog-Taxi

More
20 Jun 2011 16:36 #18049 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
Hi zaine

There's a cable with 4 pin connector taped to the wiring harness behind the left hand side rear trim panel, removing the tape gives you about 6 inches of cable play - I simply cut off the connector and attached the speaker cables using blue bullet/socket crimps, it's easy to figure out which cables go where, i.e. black stripe to black stripe - very easy novice DIY job.

Don't forget to "rip-off" the foam from behind the speaker grilles on the rear panels - to let the sound out.

for rear panel removal see here
s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd170/bishop...y%20rear%20speakers/ the password is: suzuki_jimny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2011 17:47 #18053 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
Ah so they're 5in speaker gaps not 4in as I thought then? I'm going to do mine before I put the interior back in following my tow bar install.

How did you go about routing a wire from the LH wing to the RH speaker?

I think I'm with you on the tyre choice because I kinda want to keep my Jimny fairly standard, certainly for now with 2 years warranty left! Then I'll just do a Zanfi 2" lift.

More
20 Jun 2011 20:01 - 20 Jun 2011 20:02 #18065 by Halford
Hi Municipal

yes, the hole is 100mm - I was going to get 100mm speakers from Halfrauds or Argus, but thought I'd check out better speakers so popped into my local auto-elec shop, pleased I did as speakers are apparently measured by the diameter between their fixing points - doh. With the 130mm speakers I used, I did have drill new holes and they "just fit", additionally, I only went for the 200w as the 120w ones were out of stock, but so glad I did as on Bass level 5 on high volume there's no distortion what-so-ever (I don't use these settings :pinch: ).

check out the pic - speaker cable is the white one on the right, coming up past the seat belt tensioner then down following the back ridged harness tube - then simply routed to the other side under the carpet at the back of the rear footwell, then up the harness tube on the otherside and into the wing void.

Speakers cost £45 from the shop, you can get them cheaper, but can't recommend enough, to shell out £40 ish instead of £20 ish as the difference in quality is well worth it.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2011 20:02 by Halford.

• zaine
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jun 2011 10:20 #18087 by zaine
Replied by zaine on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
looks a goood job, think i'll definately be doing that

doesnt look hard at all, i missed having rear speakers

first jimny only had front standard speakers and one connection on the back of the cd player so couldnt easily be upgraded

More
29 Jun 2011 13:59 - 29 Jun 2011 14:01 #18397 by Halford
32mm wheel spacers fitted today
I placed the order with Bits4Vits last Tuesday, spacers arrived Thursday :cheer:

The castings (on these cheap ones) are a bit rough, but the studs are fine and they look fit for purpose.

only found time to fit them today

here's the Jim before fitting

fitting the studs

after fitting

covered 50 miles today with them fitted - well worth the effort, the Jim feels so much more stable, both straight line (no more road meandering) and cornering, even the harshness over potholes and speed bumps appears softened - feels like it has had 235's fitted.

will keep a check on the wheel nuts for the next week
definitely recommend anyone to fit these, ;)

can't wait for my new Grabber AT's ........... I've got to cut up those credit cards :pinch:
Last edit: 29 Jun 2011 14:01 by Halford.

• Fingers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2011 14:23 #18461 by Fingers
Replied by Fingers on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
liking the wheel spacers

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2011 17:28 #18523 by Municipal Waste
So the interesting thing is going to be seeing if it all works when you get the 205/75s on ;)

• NewToJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2011 17:51 #18528 by NewToJimny
Replied by NewToJimny on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
I'm also very interested in how this looks. Nice pics Halford, looking forward to seeing the new tyres and the gap between the top of the tyre and the rear wheel arch.

More
04 Jul 2011 10:20 #18558 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
here you go ... 30mm spacers and AT2's fitted to a standard Jimny.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2011 17:18 #18574 by Municipal Waste
Halford I think if your 30mm spacers and tyres fit on your car without cutting the bumper I'm going to do similar but I'm thinking of getting the aluminium spacers from Zanfi to keep the weight down (possibly reducing wear on the king pins etc) and then before I fit them get the red anodising removed and gold hard anodising put on instead ;)

More
04 Jul 2011 17:21 #18575 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
to be honest, the excess load exerted on the king pins is negligable ... If you want to run wider wheels, then you need ones with a greater offset .. this has the same effect as spacers and standard wheels ... no in reality, spacers or wider wheels ... net result is no difference:P

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2011 17:54 #18577 by Municipal Waste
The nice thing about doing it with spacers is that a 205/75 is still lower profile than a 215/75 or maybe even 205/70 so hopefully I can get a wider track AND a set of ATs without needing a lift.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds