BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Blocked Headlight Washer Jet - Again!

More
28 Nov 2023 21:17 #252444 by Soeley
It is not long since  I UNBLOCKED  my right hand headlight washer jet, and it is blocked again. My MOT is due on 5the January, so need to get this sorted. I have asked Martin via the shop to see if he can supply and for a price. Just wondering if it is indeed a faulty nozzle or something else? I have looked in the screen wash bottle and it looks clean with no evidence of any sediment or sludge in the bottom. The R/H nozzle is the furthest from the pump, not sure if that would make a difference in case it is a sediment issue?

I have never had to replace a windscreen washer jet before, let alone a headlight one.

I am leaning towards a faulty nozzle 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2023 23:15 #252445 by DrRobin
My Gen3 used to block its window wash jets fairly regularly and the first to clear was the passenger side as that was closest to the pump. The problem is the alcohol evaporators out of the jets andit just leaves water which just freezes.

I changed it round so the drivers side is first,plus bought a lenthof copper tube and wrapped it round the radiator pipe to hear the water before it sprays on the windscreen.

Now the windscreen clears very quickly.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
29 Nov 2023 08:55 #252447 by Soeley
I wish it was as simple as a frozen nozzle, but it was September when it first got blocked, and this time a few weeks ago when it was still about 10⁰.

More
29 Nov 2023 11:33 #252457 by Soeley
Thanks to Martin and the BigJimny shop, a replacement nozzle is on it way.

Thanks for a quick service!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Nov 2023 17:30 #252482 by Lambert
My bottle looked clean enough but it was creating slime somehow I think it's a bacteria, anyway I am now using autoglym screen wash instead of carplan and it doesn't do it anymore.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Nov 2023 18:34 #252485 by Scimike
If you have not done so already try pumping through a few LTRs of water / detergent with the offending nozzle removed before you fit the new one. It's possible it's debris in the tube, a fast flush hopefully will eliminate this and not simply block the new nozzle.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
29 Nov 2023 18:44 #252487 by Soeley
Just disconnecting the nozzle should flush it out as thier is no anti-syphon valve on the headlight washers as I found out whilst lying under the car 

More
29 Nov 2023 21:33 #252491 by rogerzilla
You're not using hard tap water, are you?  That always blocks them due to limescale as it dries on the nozzle.

More
29 Nov 2023 21:46 - 29 Nov 2023 21:47 #252492 by Soeley
No, we don't have hard water here. Never had washer jet problems before with any car and have never suffered limescale in the kettle.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2023 21:47 by Soeley.

More
30 Nov 2023 13:50 #252498 by RainerK
Installing an in-line filter directly upstream the spray nozzle usually also solves this.

More
30 Nov 2023 15:57 #252503 by Soeley
Good idea, do they do filters specifically for washer pumps? Just wondering if a generic on might restrict the flow too much?

More
14 Dec 2023 13:26 #252873 by Soeley
I just got the 4 week reminder for the MOT from the Know Your Car app.
It gives rgives it might fail, I presume from actual failures.
It looks like 3 have fail on the offside headlight washer.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds