BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil for Gen 4 Jimny

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Oct 2023 20:22 #251826 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Just out of curiosity where has this idea come from because it really sounds like the sort of thing you get told by a mate of a mate who knows a man in the pub who once cleaned the canteen at the Dagenham Ford factory and knows everything they don't want to become common knowledge? I ask because I was told by euro car parts that my land cruiser needed 5w40 but it ran like garbage after that oil change and upon investigation it was supposed to be 0w20 from memory and after another change was back to normal, they also got me with an alleged gl4/5 compatible gearbox oil when I had a manual and once warm that wouldn't change out of 5th, swapped for the correct gl4 and back to normal.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2023 06:17 #251829 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Sometimes manufacturers get it wrong.  Owners of original MX-5s often suffer with stuck hydraulic tappets (HLAs) and Mobil 1 0W40 seems to be the best way to keep the problem at bay, once you've cleared the offending tappet(s) with Wynn's hydraulic lifter treatment or, oddly, a shot of ATF just before an oil change.

Using the 10W30 mineral oil (I think), as Mazda recommend, means the problem comes back straight away.  It doesn't have the penetrating and flushing ability.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Oct 2023 07:30 #251830 by Lambert
But there are no reports to suggest that the jimny is coming out of the factory with any kind of oil or lubrication issues and some of the earlier gen4s are really starting to gain milage now.

More
28 Oct 2023 16:22 #251846 by BigJimy
Replied by BigJimy on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
150 miles later, no issues yet, at least nothing i can notice

More
28 Oct 2023 20:50 - 28 Oct 2023 20:54 #251850 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Using 5w/40 oil in a Land Cruiser engine shouldn't in itself make it "run like garbage"
Unless you are at the North Pole.

There may possibly have been some other issue with it and it was just coincidence the oil was changed at that time.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2023 20:54 by lightning.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Oct 2023 05:09 #251854 by Lambert
Dunno but it made it quieter and easier to start and the symptoms came and went with the wrong oil. But unless the dealer can fix the electrical leak it's on borrowed time anyway.

More
02 Nov 2023 00:19 #251910 by Chops
Replied by Chops on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny

Out of interest, is the 1.5 engine direct injection, and is the 0W16 oil API SN or SP?  The Ecstar 0W20 is SN but the latest SP has some advantages for GDI engines.  I can't find a spec for the 0W16 anywhere.

I believe its a direct injection. My post above for what I put. And here is some info for the 0w16

ecstareurope.com/pdf/Ecstar_product_catalog_EN.pdf

Considering it doesn't have a high pressure fuel pump I am very, very confident it's still a port injection motor. Turbo Swift Sports (K14C) motors are direct injection, though

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2023 09:25 #251911 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Another reason to buy a Jimny - port injection is much less trouble and creates less nasty stuff in the exhaust.

More
21 Nov 2023 01:16 #252253 by BigJimy
Replied by BigJimy on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
I would delete the catalysators, no brainer too, but cannot find inox manifold on the Ali, or some other place

More
21 Nov 2023 08:09 #252256 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
It looks like port injection to me. The actual Suzuki description is "multi-point fuel injection system located above the inlet valve". Visually the injectors are screwed into the head directly above where the intake manifold bolts to the head. As it is above the inlet valve, this would be port injection to me.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
21 Nov 2023 14:16 #252273 by Wailin
Replied by Wailin on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny

Busta post=251793

True, but they have also tested that it does the job required e.g. lubricating the engine efficiently for the life of the vehicle. They aren't just winging it with what they think they can get away with.
Whilst I'm not against people tinkering, this idea that you should change things simply because it doesn't look/feel right to you is silly.

Also:Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.The potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van, lorry or bus.

Are you actually implying that someone using a slightly different grade of oil is committing an offence and should be fined? Wow

More
21 Nov 2023 18:36 #252278 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
No I'm not implying it.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds