BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil for Gen 4 Jimny

More
16 Sep 2023 23:45 #250843 by BigJimy
Oil for Gen 4 Jimny was created by BigJimy
Hi there,
I am about to change the oil of my Gen 4 Jimny for the first time, and I am going to do it myself, as I don't like the factory stuff 0w-16, it looks too thin to me. And the factory oil seems to be some eastern Europe crap brand /ECSTAR/. 
Is there any problem if I put the 5w-40 Motul X-Cess 8100 instead? 
The climate here is something like in north Italy.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2023 04:09 #250845 by driver9
Replied by driver9 on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Ecstar oil is manufactured by Idemitsu which is a Japanese company who supply the other Japanese car manufacturers like Honda and Toyota.  Regarding the oil grade to use I suggest you follow the recommendations given in the owners handbook.  If you don't have one it can be downloaded from the Suzuki cars web site.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Sep 2023 04:52 #250846 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Agreed, using none specified oil will severely affect engine lubrication and cause reduced efficiency as well as potential lifespan reduction. Stick to what the hand book says.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2023 06:43 - 17 Sep 2023 06:44 #250847 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Ecstar is just Suzuki's own brand for fluids, as Mazda has Supra.

0W16 is selected for marginally better fuel economy figures.  The owner's manual will probably show a wide range of acceptable viscosities for different temperature ranges.  I would probably go for 0W20 or 0W30.  In the factory oil, the 0 is good for cold start protection, and nothing to be scared of, but the 16 is really thin.  Ok in a new engine that isn't thrashed, but you might want something a little thicker when hot.

I use 5W30 in the Gen3, but it has 50,000 miles on it and the engine technology is over two decades old.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2023 06:44 by rogerzilla.

More
23 Oct 2023 16:39 #251690 by BigJimy
Replied by BigJimy on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
Just poured the above oil, the engine runs quieter now

More
27 Oct 2023 06:52 #251785 by giacomom
Replied by giacomom on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny

Just poured the above oil, the engine runs quieter now

yes but which one ?
0w16 .0w20 - 5w30..... ?
Giacomo

More
27 Oct 2023 08:00 #251787 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
It's interesting that you have decided the specified oil is not to your liking. Please, if you could run that oil in multiple engines for 150,000 miles in all conditions then strip the engines, check everything is still within tolerance and report back with your findings? Then other owners will be able to consider it as an alternative option for their engines.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2023 08:27 #251788 by rogerzilla
Suzuki are trying to get the lowest possible CO2 g/km and highest mpg in standard tests.  Owners don't need to do that.

More
27 Oct 2023 10:54 #251793 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Oil for Gen 4 Jimny
True, but they have also tested that it does the job required e.g. lubricating the engine efficiently for the life of the vehicle. They aren't just winging it with what they think they can get away with.
Whilst I'm not against people tinkering, this idea that you should change things simply because it doesn't look/feel right to you is silly.

Also:Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.The potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van, lorry or bus.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2023 13:40 - 27 Oct 2023 13:40 #251800 by rogerzilla
Out of interest, is the 1.5 engine direct injection, and is the 0W16 oil API SN or SP?  The Ecstar 0W20 is SN but the latest SP has some advantages for GDI engines.  I can't find a spec for the 0W16 anywhere.

Last edit: 27 Oct 2023 13:40 by rogerzilla.

More
27 Oct 2023 14:57 #251807 by BigJimy
the Motul 5w40

More
27 Oct 2023 17:40 #251821 by BigJimy

Out of interest, is the 1.5 engine direct injection, and is the 0W16 oil API SN or SP?  The Ecstar 0W20 is SN but the latest SP has some advantages for GDI engines.  I can't find a spec for the 0W16 anywhere.

I believe its a direct injection. My post above for what I put. And here is some info for the 0w16

ecstareurope.com/pdf/Ecstar_product_catalog_EN.pdf

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds