BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

PDR

More
17 Apr 2014 16:41 #112421 by helijohn
PDR was created by helijohn
Has anyone had a PDR job done or got a kit and done it themselves?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2014 16:53 #112424 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic PDR
Pdr ?

More
17 Apr 2014 16:59 #112426 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic PDR

markyp2000 wrote: Pdr ?

Wondered how long it would take. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Paintless dent repair.

Looks like a skill I wish I had developed years ago. Had no glue guns in them there days. My Rav has a dent as wide as a tennis ball that needs pulling.

I wonder how much experts charge?

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2014 17:21 - 17 Apr 2014 17:25 #112428 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic PDR
Never had anything done myself John however nothing but good reports of work done hth ...... ;)
Last edit: 17 Apr 2014 17:25 by Tadpole.

More
17 Apr 2014 17:32 #112431 by helijohn

Tadpole wrote: Never had anything done myself John however nothing but good reports of work done hth ...... ;)

I watched a video and it is actually fantastic.

Question is, do I call in a man to do it (unheard of in this house) or spend a fortune on some basic tools??? :unsure: :unsure:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2014 17:44 #112432 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic PDR
Get the pro in cos if you f#*k it up it may cost more due to the need for paint plus what you would spent on tools etc may end up more expensive

More
17 Apr 2014 18:55 #112439 by helijohn

markyp2000 wrote: Get the pro in cos if you f#*k it up it may cost more due to the need for paint plus what you would spent on tools etc may end up more expensive

Yeah, agreed. There are a few mobile ones locally so later on I'll see what they charge. I'm OK with filler but doing this might tax me. ;)

• Flameboi201
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2014 18:57 #112440 by Flameboi201
Replied by Flameboi201 on topic PDR
Paintles dent removal is a skill most carnt master im afraid . If its shallow dent the size of a tennis ball . Give your local dent man a shout and you shouldnt be paying more that 40 per panel . A week course to teach you the easy bits and a set of bars will prob be about 1000 . Or pay about 300 at a decent bodyshop to have it repaired and painted

More
17 Apr 2014 19:15 #112445 by minibbb
Replied by minibbb on topic Re:PDR
When I had a pdr guy over to sort my mini out I mentioned the jimny to him and he said pdr guys hate working on jimnys as the panels are so thin its hard to get a good finish. Sure it can be done mind you, just maybe not as perfect as other makes of car

More
17 Apr 2014 19:34 #112451 by helijohn

Flameboi201 wrote: Paintles dent removal is a skill most carnt master im afraid .

Yeah, I've done panel beating in the past and never got any result that does not need filler. :ohmy:

More
18 Apr 2014 20:05 #112539 by helijohn

Flameboi201 wrote: Paintles dent removal is a skill most carnt master im afraid . If its shallow dent the size of a tennis ball .

Now this is unbelievable. My dent is in the back door which should be a cinch to seal up.
wn.com/paintless_dent_repair_tricks__bicycle_pump

Worth a try??

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2014 20:25 - 18 Apr 2014 20:40 #112540 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic PDR
Yes, had a few dents removed form an MX-5 at the owners' club rally. This included a fist-sized "inverse dent" made when someone (not me) tried to close the boot lid on something slightly biggert than the boot! All very impressive. They use long levers, a hammer with a little plastic drift and (this is the clever bit) a grid pattern on a plate which they attach to the work area with a sucker, then from its reflection they can see if they have made the surface perfectly flat. Although the metal will be stretched, the levering and tapping pretty much shrinks it again. No heat is involved.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2014 20:40 by rogerzilla.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds