BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

To fit Lockers or Not?

More
  • Skinhead
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 20:27 #58433 by Skinhead
Replied by Skinhead on topic To fit Lockers or Not?
Cheers Gaz, im in 2 minds as its my every day vehicle. Obviosly id like to get 1 of them others so i can unclock it. What are the downsides to the lockright apart from handling on corners? Im guessing wearing tyres down quicker, what about breakages?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 21:59 #58452 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic To fit Lockers or Not?

supergaz wrote: As a car I HATE it, as a OFF ROADER I love it.
Luckily its only my road legal toy, and not my daily. :-)

Back on topic, the Lockright is my favorite modification!

Here here Supergaz. My sentiments exactly :laugh:

• BigMat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 22:12 - 17 Jan 2013 22:15 #58457 by BigMat
Replied by BigMat on topic To fit Lockers or Not?
If you were scared off getting stuck and your friend leaving you then you should get some fitted......
I guess it boils down to your ability (or lack of) lol....

Lol about time you got on here Rich and yes you should get some if thats the case haha :P
Last edit: 17 Jan 2013 22:15 by BigMat. Reason: messed quote up

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 22:25 #58460 by iloveics
Replied by iloveics on topic To fit Lockers or Not?
Is it wrong that i like driving my jimny on road to B), mind you mine's pretty much standard.
I like the ecouragement to take it easy and the driving position ( sounds poncy i know)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2013 22:27 - 17 Jan 2013 22:28 #58461 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic To fit Lockers or Not?

Big Rich wrote: If you were scared off getting stuck and your friend leaving you then you should get some fitted......
I guess it boils down to your ability (or lack of) lol....

its also fun to p*ss off any green ovals that don't have lockers when you bumble up and over some obstacle that they can't get over

its up to the individual whether they fit lockers or not but I love mine although I rarely use the front one
Last edit: 17 Jan 2013 22:28 by darthloachie.

More
18 Jan 2013 12:54 - 18 Jan 2013 12:55 #58488 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic To fit Lockers or Not?

Skinhead wrote: What are the downsides to the lockright apart from handling on corners? Im guessing wearing tyres down quicker, what about breakages?

As far i am concerned there are no downsides.

I used to have a Lockrite or Lock-Right in my non-Powered Steering SJ413 and when you accelarated it pulled to the Left and deceleration it pulled to the right (or the oither way around, can't remember as it was over 8yrs ago).

As Gaz says, you have 'change' your off-roading style with a Lockrite, as basically you always have traction through the axle from the Diff where the Lockrite is fitted. Without a Lockrite, you'd probably be using momentum (doing it fast, gunning thje trhottle) to get places, bt do that with a Lockrite installed and your gonna come a cropper! With a Lockrite you'll be amazed where you can get to with little 'pedal to the metal'

Add a RockLobster to the Lockrite with the front Hubs engaged ... go out and find that twisty and steep bank that you used to struggle with!!

I still stand with my first statrement - the Lockrite is the most effective mod you can make for enjoying your 4dx4 more :) Do it, you won't regret it.

Now, the silly downside - get it fitted by a qualified mechanic!

Jalapeño, IISY?
Last edit: 18 Jan 2013 12:55 by maverick.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2013 13:04 #58493 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic To fit Lockers or Not?

maverick wrote:

Skinhead wrote: What are the downsides to the lockright apart from handling on corners? Im guessing wearing tyres down quicker, what about breakages?

I used to have a Lockrite or Lock-Right in my non-Powered Steering SJ413 and when you accelarated it pulled to the Left and deceleration it pulled to the right (or the oither way around, can't remember as it was over 8yrs ago).

As Gaz says, you have 'change' your off-roading style with a Lockrite, as basically you always have traction through the axle from the Diff where the Lockrite is fitted. Without a Lockrite, you'd probably be using momentum (doing it fast, gunning thje trhottle) to get places, bt do that with a Lockrite installed and your gonna come a cropper! With a Lockrite you'll be amazed where you can get to with little 'pedal to the metal'

Add a RockLobster to the Lockrite with the front Hubs engaged ... go out and find that twisty and steep bank that you used to struggle with!!

I still stand with my first statrement - the Lockrite is the most effective mod you can make for enjoying your 4dx4 more :) Do it, you won't regret it.

How strong is it compared to ARB locker and standard Jimny diff?

More
18 Jan 2013 13:05 #58494 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic To fit Lockers or Not?

maverick wrote:

I agree, but I found it easy to install myself and I'm not a mechanic but I am a engineer, there is a write-up somewhere on the internet which I followed.
Off out now to play in 1cm of snow :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds