BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Re:Roll bar options

More
05 May 2023 14:00 #248967 by lesgrandepotato
I’m fancying a roll bar for our little plaything. Nothing too heavy duty just a bit more protection than the stock tin roll hoop that doesn’t look that robust…

Anyone have any leads? Or recommendations?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2023 14:27 #248968 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Roll bar options
Is this for an SJ or Jimny?

More
05 May 2023 14:45 #248969 by lesgrandepotato
Replied by lesgrandepotato on topic Roll bar options
It’s an SJ samurai 1992 convertible

More
05 May 2023 15:14 - 05 May 2023 15:14 #248971 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Roll bar options
Ok it would have to be an aftermarket option as suzuki didn't make anything more than the standard rollbar.
Masterforest make one although looking at the pics this may not work well if you have carpets or mats on the floor.
www.masterforest-boutique.com/en/bumpers...uki-samurai-4wd.html

Our old SJ had a baby saver style roll cage built by Rhinoray in the UK although this didn't work with the soft top canopy support hoop.

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 May 2023 15:14 by jlines.

More
06 May 2023 08:13 - 06 May 2023 08:16 #248978 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Roll bar options
When you say "tin roll hoop" do you mean the "Targa bar" that is part of the actual construction of the SJ or the optional Suzuki Roll Hoop?

If you are going for authenticity then the optional suzuki hoop would be your only choice. As James is doing a "factory" restoration he has gone for the Suzuki hoop of course. However the hoop is not particularly strong and back in the day was not compliant with AWDC regs for a lot of their competitions. The rear brackets on it are for "support" and not strength.

If you need to have it as a real functioning roll bar, I would go for a look-a-alike standard hoop but made of certified tube and with proper rear angle bars down to the back of the car and big spreader plates to spread the load and bolted through to the body stiffening members underneath

I have attached pictures of the Suzuki roll hoop

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 06 May 2023 08:16 by mlines.

More
06 May 2023 09:06 #248979 by lesgrandepotato
Replied by lesgrandepotato on topic Re:Roll bar options
Aha, terminology issues! I have the targa bar. I suspect a factory roll hoop would be fine for what we are up to (tyro / rtv) it’s just in case of the worst happening.
Are the factory bars readily available? A part number always helps when chasing the rarer bits!

More
06 May 2023 09:54 #248981 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Re:Roll bar options
They are not available, you have to watch eBay, make sure you get all brackets, particularly the little ones at the top that connect it to the upper seat belt mounts. Whilst the hoops are around, the upper brackets are like hens teeth.

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds