BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Re:Transfer case rebuild

More
15 Apr 2023 15:30 #248595 by lesgrandepotato
Set into the Tcase today. Planning to fit a set of 4.16:1 Sumo gears. I’ve got it mostly torn down. But I’ve not managed to pull the sleeve for the speedo drive. 

Will that stop me pulling the main shaft out? It doesn’t feel like it’s keen to be shifting anytime soon… I guess it’s just pressed in there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2023 16:15 #248598 by lesgrandepotato
Ok. Disappointingly it seems not. What’s the trick to getting the speedo sleeve out then? Bearing extractor hasn’t touched it…

More
15 Apr 2023 17:41 #248601 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Transfer case rebuild
I assume you have removed the retaining bolt? If so it's lots of lubricant and careful heating

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
19 Apr 2023 14:55 #248711 by lesgrandepotato
Keeping the thread alive… in case others try this at home. Looks like the speedo drive can stay in for a 4.16:1 reduction.

I’ve got most of it torn down. The bearings are FT on the shafts tho! Just bought some new bearing pullers. They haven’t made a dent on them with 5 ton of pressure…

More
19 Apr 2023 17:33 #248714 by lesgrandepotato
Hmm. Ok mostly remantled. What sort of witchcraft is needed to get the detent balls back in?

More
19 Apr 2023 19:02 #248716 by lesgrandepotato
Hah! A deft push with a screw driver at a critical moment slips the lower detent back in.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds