BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Ola`s jimny project

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2018 17:12 #193675 by Venter
Sounds awesome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2018 18:24 #193680 by MadsV
Nice, hope my box comes soon. Been waiting for 8 weeks now, want to go driving really slow

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2018 18:54 #193681 by OlaGB

MadsV wrote: Nice, hope my box comes soon. Been waiting for 8 weeks now, want to go driving really slow

It's worth the wait! And you will go reeal slow on youre rocklobster setup :)

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2018 20:15 #194516 by OlaGB
So finally, after 2 months of shipping trouble, my M18 intake and TB showed up from Australia!
Hard parts to find, but they where worth the wait.
Looks 100% stock on the outside, but inside dimensions are different..

M13 throttlebody is 46mm ID, M18 is 54mm!

M13 intake manifold, 46mm in, 25x42mm ports.. M18 is 54mm and 27x46mm ports! M18 is actually pretty much identical to SSS ports.

While the intake was out, it was time for swapping out the old 70A alternator, for a new 145A!

And added bigger 70mm2 cables

I`ve already swapped out all the parts, and had a 20-30km test drive tonight.. Theres absolutely an improvement, allthough hard to put into words.
In stock form, i tested the car up a hill, and made 95km/h on top.. Through all the gears, from 0km/h.
On 235`s, regeared transfer, SSS motor but stock M13 intake, it did approx the same, 95km/h.
Tonight it did 105km/h with the M18 intake mod! Definitive gaine at higher revs, pulls alot stronger above 4500rpm. It has also gained alittle torque down low, but not much though.
I still believe i need to look into exhaust, and remapping to get the potensial out of the motor.

Another interesting observation, is that i had some ignition knocking at higher revs before, but did not notice any tonight.. Need to test more.

But my idle is all over the place. I did swap the idle control valve to the M13 one, but its not settling. Constantly throttles from 1300 to 2100rpm. Sometimes stays at 2200 constant. Need to look more into it tomorrow, done for today!

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2018 20:21 #194517 by MadsV
Well thats good news! Would be fun compairing it with my g16b someday :)

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2018 08:41 #194520 by OlaGB

MadsV wrote: Well thats good news! Would be fun compairing it with my g16b someday :)

Yeah, maybe we should meet up together with Yakuza one day, for a turtle race LOL

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2018 08:45 #194522 by OlaGB
Got another look at the idle today. Lubed up the control valve, which was partially stuck, and now it atleast idles at 1200rpm steady.
Not sure why it`s not lower. Checked all hose connections etc, but cant find anything wrong.

More
21 Jul 2018 11:40 #194524 by sniper
Just a thought, could it be that the throttle angle at idle is the same as before but now with the larger butterfly, your getting lots more air ?

I think your right about the exhaust, in your position, I would use the Aussie manifold and build a system with a sports cat in mild steel.

sniper

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2018 13:50 #194527 by OlaGB

sniper wrote: Just a thought, could it be that the throttle angle at idle is the same as before but now with the larger butterfly, your getting lots more air ?

I think your right about the exhaust, in your position, I would use the Aussie manifold and build a system with a sports cat in mild steel.

sniper

I thought so as well, but the butterfly is closed on both TB`s at idle, so the idle control circuit is the only place for air to pass by..
But i will give it a good clean and test some more.. Every now and then it actually does settle down now, so it might still be residue in the idle control valve.

Do you think the aussie manifold is any better than the stock? I asked them directly, and theire response was that it was not made to increase power, only to replace the cracking stock manifolds. They had no dyno results of it..
But it is under consideration.

I also consider to just clean out the cat from the stock manifold, and build a 2" system with a quality muffler in the rear, either with a race cat, or go fully cat-less. Not sure yet.

More
21 Jul 2018 15:57 - 21 Jul 2018 16:01 #194530 by sniper
The Aussie manifold is not perfect but it has to flow better than standard, you lose the top cat too so flow has to be much improved.

The only other cheap way around it would be to use a swift manifold, cut them, turn 90deg and re-weld. I'm sure it will be a little more involved but looks quite easy £120 on fleabay in stainless.

I think the Aussie and a single 200cpa sports cat system would let much more through the engine.

I've just spent all my spare cash on an ATB diff or I would be doing the same now.

sniper
Last edit: 21 Jul 2018 16:01 by sniper.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2018 18:45 #194534 by OlaGB

sniper wrote: The Aussie manifold is not perfect but it has to flow better than standard, you lose the top cat too so flow has to be much improved.

The only other cheap way around it would be to use a swift manifold, cut them, turn 90deg and re-weld. I'm sure it will be a little more involved but looks quite easy £120 on fleabay in stainless.

I think the Aussie and a single 200cpa sports cat system would let much more through the engine.

I've just spent all my spare cash on an ATB diff or I would be doing the same now.

sniper

It's just so annoying, doing everything close to perfect, and then gamble on a random made exhaust that i cant find any dyno or test results from.

But we'll see, im not in a hurry.. Its running better than ever now with the new intake mod.
A good clean out of the TB + ecu reset, seems to have solved the idle issue as well now!

More
23 Jul 2018 06:46 #194548 by yakuza
Hi!
Still on 98 octane?
Mine is good now on 98. Had a 8 hour drive south to Stord on 98 and the car performed quite good. Worst was going home up Modalen area. too long uphill with 600kg trailer.
My Swift (m13 no VVT 90hp) has this punch on high revs that my Jimny has none of with its m16. the intake manifold and TB must be it it seems.
Have you checked if your exhaust manifold cat is OK?
Sounds like i have too start collecting parts but now my budget still suffers from holiday and low gears for my transfer.
Has your transfer gotten more silent? Still gear noise from mine, but much less. Will change the gear oil now that i soon have reached 1000km of use after installing.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds