BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Ola`s jimny project

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2018 15:00 #198276 by MadsV
Where did you get the chinese ARB? I’m taking my lockright out, so tired of driving with 100% locked all the time :lol:
Always thought the compressors were bigger but that one is pretty neat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2018 18:24 #198291 by OlaGB

MadsV wrote: Where did you get the chinese ARB? I’m taking my lockright out, so tired of driving with 100% locked all the time :lol:
Always thought the compressors were bigger but that one is pretty neat

Yeah, i thought about lockright first as well, but saw that one coming.

I believe it was from this shop www.china4x4extreme.com/ reccomended from some guys over at Auzzookrs..
I sendt them an email with request for price, and they responded withing a day or so..
Good price incl shipping, and it seems like they know a thing or two, not just pushing parts.. They changed the RD206 front diff outter gears to 26 splines up on request for me, just 2day extra wait :) (not stock, they had to do it upon request)

• JustCallMeRick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2018 18:52 #198295 by JustCallMeRick
Replied by JustCallMeRick on topic My jimny project, SSS motor, trail gear transfer ++
Very cool Project!
Looking forward to a review on the cheap lockers.
It looks like they have a 26 spline front diff optioneel now, the rd206-26.
And please take as many pictures as you can!

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2018 21:35 - 28 Nov 2018 21:40 #198308 by OlaGB

JustCallMeRick wrote: Very cool Project!
Looking forward to a review on the cheap lockers.
It looks like they have a 26 spline front diff optioneel now, the rd206-26.
And please take as many pictures as you can!

Nice, they have adapted to the market!

I have taken some pictures, but its aloot of work putting all this in at once, and i want to get it back up and running asap, so i`m afraid it will not be a great how-to with tons of pics..

All bearings got pressed in/on yesterday. ABS ring was a bastrd to press on, so the second one we just heated up hot and it slipped right on :)
Today has been going into setting up diffs, backlash, preload etc, and started installing in car.
Front diff did not go in easy, had to grind away some metal in the diff house opening to make more room for the new locker and air ring assembly, that took some time.
Diff´s are in the car now, and rear axle is complete and ready for brake bleed.. Front still lacks axles and hubs, will continue tomorrow! 12 hours in the garage today..
Tested both diffs pressurised for 30min after install, without compressor starting up again, so atleast leak free so far!

The orings/seals:
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 21:40 by OlaGB. Reason: Pics

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2018 13:58 #198365 by OlaGB
Aaand done!

Tested both lockers to work perfectly, and no leaks spotted so far.

I bet ive used 30 efficent hours on this job, if not more..
Gonna pop a cold one tonight :)

More
29 Nov 2018 19:16 #198391 by yakuza
Great!
I am not at all envious, no not me, nope... :)

Next year: Suzuki meet!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2018 19:48 #198396 by OlaGB

yakuza wrote: Great!
I am not at all envious, no not me, nope... :)

Next year: Suzuki meet!

B)
Was just out testing , and they work great! Ofcourse the rear would do plenty good enough alone, but that would just make me think ´what if..´ :laugh:
Easy to bind up the rear though, alot of new noises when pushing it alittle :woohoo:

Crossing fingers for Zuke meet 2019 for sure!

More
30 Nov 2018 04:47 #198429 by zukebob
Appears to be coming along very well. My experience with the Chinese products has been limited to radios but certainly sounds similar. They work very hard to meet your needs and (thankfully) it isn't only until they have your money in their pocket. Their after sales support is usually excellent as well.

The lockers appear to be HF. That is the brand that most here in the Philippines use. I haven't heard of any failures and they have gotten their share of use and abuse. I have heard the same issue that Tom mentioned concerning the seals and would agree it would probably be a safe bet to have a set of ARB replacements.

Keep up the good work.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2018 07:28 #198434 by OlaGB

zukebob wrote: Appears to be coming along very well. My experience with the Chinese products has been limited to radios but certainly sounds similar. They work very hard to meet your needs and (thankfully) it isn't only until they have your money in their pocket. Their after sales support is usually excellent as well.

The lockers appear to be HF. That is the brand that most here in the Philippines use. I haven't heard of any failures and they have gotten their share of use and abuse. I have heard the same issue that Tom mentioned concerning the seals and would agree it would probably be a safe bet to have a set of ARB replacements.

Keep up the good work.

Yeah, they are known under alot of brands, depending of which shop selling them.. HF, chinasoong, TRE +++
Not much negative to find at all.

If/when the seals go out, i absolutely will replace with ARB seals! Allthough, ive seen alot of reports on bad ARB seals as well. I also had leaky seals in my landcruiser..

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2018 18:13 - 30 Nov 2018 18:17 #198450 by OlaGB
So today i installed the new battery.. Exide EP450 50Ah 750CCA.
This was the biggest battery i managed to shoehorn into the stock place.. And i think its big enough for my minor winch use.
Start motor sure is happy now, sounds 40% more powerfull!

Had to modify the battery platform some to get it in.. Made a drawing for explanation, if someone else wants to give it a go..
Had to use a dremel to cutaway some pieces + separating different parts of the edges.. Zink sprayed all cut surfaces for alittle protection.

Yellow markings, are places i hammered down flat.
Red markings are cutouts.
Purple marking are to show relocation of the bolt mount for the fuse box (only using 1 bolt now)
Green marking is where i bent up again the plate to vertical, where the hole for the securing pinbolt is.
Also had to cut off the plastic "ears" on the bottom of the battery, as its a snug fit..

Not so easy to understand, but alot easier when you pull out youre battery and compare to my drawing:

Finished result, using stock securing bolts, and a custom top bracket. Just used a 5mm flat piece of steele, zink sprayed and covered with shrink wrap.

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Nov 2018 18:17 by OlaGB.

More
30 Nov 2018 19:49 #198454 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: OlaGB

More
01 Dec 2018 09:33 #198468 by Max Headroom
That looks to be a very neat job nicely executed and finished

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds