BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Access to the steering box for adjustment (gen 3)

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2024 14:35 #254444 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Access to the steering box for adjustment (gen 3)
2012, about 51,000 miles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2024 14:41 #254445 by Roger Fairclough
I would clean up as much as possible and then mark position of screw head. Then loosen nut with extension and socket. Either use box spanner or long socket held in place with mole grips to hold nut whilst using long screwdriver down through box/socket to adjust setting. Then re-tighten nut. You will need to do this a few times to get the right setting. A crows-foot spanner is an alternative if there is room.

Roger

More
19 Feb 2024 15:20 #254446 by GandHisJimny
Hm, a bit younger and lower mileage than mine so you'd want to be doing only a very slight adjustment I imagine. If indeed it is the steering box that is the cause of the problem, could it be something else? Tie rod ends or maybe even low tyre pressure / a puncture?

There's so much that can make the steering go wrong in these cars. When it's not sloppy it's wobbly and when it's not wobbly it's because you're probably not driving a Jimny

And very good point on cleaning it up before starting Roger, I forgot that I actually have a little brass brush that would've been perfect for it. So much yucky crap down there from an old waxoyl type job a previous owner had done.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

More
19 Feb 2024 20:08 #254451 by Phaeton

Oh, and a wee photo of course.

Can you give some reference as to where the photo is taken?

More
19 Feb 2024 20:15 #254453 by Busta
Just to the driver's side of the radiator, looking downwards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phaeton

More
20 Feb 2024 08:54 #254469 by GandHisJimny
Yep, as Busta says, looking down beside the radiator as circled on this photo . Side differs for left-hand drive / right-hand drive versions because it's part of the steering mechanism coming forward from the driver.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IzakJackson

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds