BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Access to the steering box for adjustment (gen 3)

More
02 Feb 2024 16:05 #253966 by GandHisJimny
Hi, I am trying to tweak some sloppiness out my steering wheel on my 70k mile 2007. I've inspected the usual suspects for wear (bushings, tie rod ends etc) and everything seems in reasonable enough shape so I'd like to give my steering box a little adjustment to see if it improves things.

Problem is, as a novice DIYer, it seems to be a bit of a pain to access because the fan cowling getting in the way. Am I missing something obvious here or do I need to remove or loosen bits to gain access? In the threads I've looked up nobody seems to mention this as a problem but perhaps they're just a bit more competent at jobs like this than I am!

Any pictures or guidance would be welcome.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2024 16:21 #253967 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Access to the steering box for adjustment (gen 3)
I need to do the same job.  The cowl is attached by four bolts so you could take them out and see if there is some wiggle room?  You can't actually remove the cowl while the radiator is in place, but it will move around a bit.

More
02 Feb 2024 16:56 #253970 by GandHisJimny
Yeah, I'll maybe give it a closer look at the weekend. I was just surprised by how many posts and discussions didn't seem to acknowledge the difficulty of access so thought there might be some trick to it.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

More
02 Feb 2024 17:25 #253971 by Busta
I access it from the top with a couple of extensions on a ratchet. No need to remove anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GandHisJimny

More
03 Feb 2024 14:43 - 20 Feb 2024 08:54 #253994 by GandHisJimny
Ah, went out and can see the access isn't that bad from above. Looks like the LHD models are easier to access (per this video:
). The annoying thing with coming in from above with extensions is that you can't hold the screw in place as you tighten / loosen which isn't ideal.

Last edit: 20 Feb 2024 08:54 by GandHisJimny.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2024 16:06 #253997 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Access to the steering box for adjustment (gen 3)
Would a very long screwdriver reach?  You can buy such things - I have a couple for obscure bicycle jobs.

More
03 Feb 2024 17:43 - 03 Feb 2024 17:46 #254000 by GandHisJimny
Yep, I think you want a jumbo 300mm+ slotted screwdriver. If you have an open end ring ratchet that would maybe help you turn the locking nuts whilst holding the screw in place (e.g. www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Spanner-SUPERT...atchet/dp/B07R1VPL17) but might be too tight for it and it has to be long enough.

I couldn't actually figure out what what size the locking nut was though! Something like 16mm but nothing felt like it would sit nicely and then it started raining so I went inside Anyone know the size for sure?

Pic for reference (pls ignore my yucky headlight rust, it's what I do).

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Feb 2024 17:46 by GandHisJimny.

More
03 Feb 2024 17:53 #254001 by Busta
Yes it is an awkward method and makes it tricky to do precise adjustments, but it's better than the alternative of disassembling half the front end to get proper access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GandHisJimny

More
18 Feb 2024 12:46 - 18 Feb 2024 12:51 #254415 by GandHisJimny
Woohoo, managed to get in and do the job! Super pleased with the results so far, she feels way less floaty / sloppy. My steering damper actually feels like it's doing work now. It obviously always was but before this slop / wear meant it went from super light steering to heavier, that has 80% gone now. I did a 1/8 turn on the screw, nothing super aggressive because I am wary that you can damage the box and you do want to leave some give.

As for the job itself. The locking nut was really tight, even after some WD40 a few days ago but got it off with some oomph. Think it was a 17mm socket on the locking nut and then a universal joint + extension. I also partially unscrewed the lower 10mm bolt that slightly obstructs, not sure if it was totally necessary. Used a massive screwdriver - 9.5x450mm to turn it (could probs use a shorter one but saw this on Amazon so why not). You can kinda worm your left hand in at the bottom to feel what you're doing whilst tightening which is helpful. I must have looked very graceful with a LIDL torch in my mouth and a massive screwdriver in hand.

Very happy now. I will be interested to see how this makes handling in higher winds because before it was a real bum clencher (the slop obscured minor adjustments you want to make as you get blown about). Honestly the car feels like a new vehicle from when I got it. New tyres / brakes / wheel alignment / box tightening + a steering damper

Last edit: 18 Feb 2024 12:51 by GandHisJimny.

More
18 Feb 2024 12:49 #254416 by GandHisJimny

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rogerzilla

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2024 18:14 #254434 by rogerzilla
I need to do this.  My significant other is complaining about the steering being a bit baggy (I've explained they're all like that to some extent, even when new).

More
19 Feb 2024 14:22 #254443 by GandHisJimny
What's your year and mileage? For reference mine is ~70k / 2007 and I had a really obvious improvement out of that 1/8 turn, definitely not placebo. I've never driven a new one though and wear can creep into the steering from so many different places so it could be something else in your case.

But the box adjustment has been great, was just driving earlier today again. I think the way it is interplaying with my steering damper is very nice because I am barely getting wobble over bad surfaces now. What I am yet to test is going up to motorway speeds but I think it will be good.

And for someone who isn't a noob like me it'd probably only take 10-15 mins to do. I recommend taking a picture before / after so you can be sure you haven't over tightened and can see the locking nut is back in position.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds