BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fan belt has come off

More
14 Dec 2023 15:13 #252878 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Fan belt has come off
I've always removed the crank bolts by using an 18" breaker bar resting against the passenger side inner wing, then turning the key to briefly engage the starter. I've yet to find one this method couldn't undo!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2023 20:06 #252883 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Fan belt has come off
I'm with Busta 
Also take the plug leads off so it can't start up
And a block of wood so no damage to the inner wing

More
14 Dec 2023 20:31 #252886 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Fan belt has come off
Always jammed mine against the floor not a body panel

More
14 Dec 2023 23:57 #252887 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Fan belt has come off
You can just rattle it undone with a little battery windy gun if it isn't rusted solid to the pulley like mine was.

Mine wouldn't undo by flicking the bar against the chassis. I undid the 200 TDi that way to do the cam belt, but it was beautifully clean, not a rusty lump.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Dec 2023 10:07 #252890 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Fan belt has come off
Facade, you are the reason why I have a 1000Nm makita rattle gun, I watched the suffering live and thought I'd rather like to be prepared if I had it to do myself!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Dec 2023 15:44 - 18 Dec 2023 15:46 #252922 by MysterG
Replied by MysterG on topic Fan belt has come off
Right an update.

Have spent a shed load of hours on this today with various degrees of success.

A number of snapped bolts on fan shroud.

A crank bolt that refuse to budge. Impact wrench, long bar, bigger bar, home made locking tool etc.. I'm too chicken to try flicking the starter method single handed.

Eventually (as I had a new bolt anyway) I went with the Facade angle grinder method. Although I only cut most of the way through it on two sides. That obviously released enough tension and rust as another go with the impact gun saw it spin off. Happy days.

Also spent far too long removing the alternator, but I wanted to clean it up and free up all the bolts whilst access was good to help with adjusting the belt tensions later. I also have a new tensioner for the power steering belt to go on.

It all still in bits with the new pulley and bolt on. I'll update with some pictures when I've finished later this week.

What is the correct torque figure for the pully bolt? (VVT engine)

I can find references to a number of different figures from 76 all the way up to 110 lbs/ft.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2023 15:46 by MysterG.

More
18 Dec 2023 17:36 #252923 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Fan belt has come off

150Nm on the VVT engine, that is 110lb/ft.

You need the locking tool to hold it whilst you tighten it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MysterG

More
18 Dec 2023 18:08 #252924 by MysterG
Thanks for the confirmation.

Just ordered an alternator too.
The old one seemed to be turning okay, before I took stuff apart, then when tested it seemed to not turn freely, now it seems fine again.

Gonna change it to be sure.

So that's £300+ in parts cause the fan belt popped off ...

Oh that's true. I need to go and get some antifreeze as well....

More
18 Dec 2023 18:30 #252925 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Fan belt has come off

Right an update.

Have spent a shed load of hours on this today with various degrees of success.

A number of snapped bolts on fan shroud.

A crank bolt that refuse to budge. Impact wrench, long bar, bigger bar, home made locking tool etc.. I'm too chicken to try flicking the starter method single handed.

Eventually (as I had a new bolt anyway) I went with the Facade angle grinder method. Although I only cut most of the way through it on two sides. That obviously released enough tension and rust as another go with the impact gun saw it spin off. Happy days.

Also spent far too long removing the alternator, but I wanted to clean it up and free up all the bolts whilst access was good to help with adjusting the belt tensions later. I also have a new tensioner for the power steering belt to go on.

It all still in bits with the new pulley and bolt on. I'll update with some pictures when I've finished later this week.

I can find references to a number of different figures from 76 all the way up to 110 lbs/ft.

Sadly we have all been there, but at least it's off and you are making progress. 

My crank bolt had no rust on it, but boy was it tight, 150Nm to get it out was no where near what we used.  We had a 1m long breaker bar, so 150Nm is 15kg on the end of 1m.  We (two of us) swung on the end with all the force we could manage, it did come out so I reckon we had somewhere close to 750Nm. 

When I put it back in I couldn't get my high torque wrench to fit, so just tightened it up and then gave it a 1/4 turn with the long breaker bar, that will be somewhere close to 150Nm.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Dec 2023 16:17 - 20 Dec 2023 16:18 #252961 by MysterG
Well alternator arrived 8am so back to it.
Did up the crank pulley.
Fitted the alternator, and its belt, tensioner and steering belt. Refitted fan.
Found some bolts to replace the ones that hold the fan shroud which sheared during removal.
New radiator in. Refilled with fluid, ran to temp, left to cool, topped up.
Hopefully jobs a good 'un, albeit an expensive one 

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Dec 2023 16:18 by MysterG.

More
20 Dec 2023 17:44 #252964 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Fan belt has come off
Good job indeed.

I know it was expensive, but if the pulley hadn't gone the radiator and alternator wouldn't have been far away from failing, so at least you got the whole job done in one go rather than doing a bit now, only to take everything off to do another bit later on.

Plus you have the satisfaction of knowing that those key components are all new, a good move at this time of year.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: MysterG

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds