BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fan belt has come off

More
12 Dec 2023 10:57 #252820 by MysterG
2005 VVT.
Started it up on the drive to move it.
Bit of squealing, didn't think much of it as it was a damp morning and has not been driven for a week.
Charge light came on. Smell of burning rubber when bonnet lifted.
Moved it back onto the drive and the fan belt popped off completely.
Also notice the power steering belt is one 'v' off it's pulley.

From searching most likely crank pulley I assume?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Dec 2023 11:51 #252821 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Fan belt has come off
Sounds like it.  Rust causes the metal/rubber sandwich to delaminate.  Be very careful fitting the new one if you DIY, as it's possible to damage the key or keyway.

More
12 Dec 2023 13:28 #252822 by MysterG
Replied by MysterG on topic Fan belt has come off
Cheers.
I do plan on doing it myself.

Would you care to elaborate on the keyway issue?
What should I not be doing?

More
12 Dec 2023 13:36 #252823 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Fan belt has come off
The same happened to me a while ago, both belts came off outside the house. The pulley is straight forward to do but mine was very tight, I had to take radiator out to get access, but that is stright forward.

I tried locking the engine in gear 4WD-L but there was still too much movement. The pulley has 2 M8 holes drilled either side of the crank nut, I made a jig and used two M8 bolts then a long piece of metal to lock the engine in place.

It still took a big breaker bar (3 foot long) to get the nut moving. I am also not sure what the issue with the key is?

My first pulley arrived with slight damage, so had to put it on and get another one and had to do the job twice.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: MysterG, Phaeton

More
12 Dec 2023 15:33 #252825 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Fan belt has come off
Sorry but it sounds like you took the crank pulley off, why? 
Both belts can be changed without doing that? 

More
12 Dec 2023 16:01 #252826 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Fan belt has come off
Pheaton
Crank pully failure is quite common on the M series engine 
These have a bonded rubber that deteriorate allowing the pully to wobble 
This can make belts jump off
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phaeton

More
12 Dec 2023 18:23 #252828 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Fan belt has come off

Pheaton
Crank pully failure is quite common on the M series engine 
These have a bonded rubber that deteriorate allowing the pully to wobble 
This can make belts jump off
I wasn't aware of that, but unless it's happening on more than 1 occasion you wouldn't do it that way surely?

More
12 Dec 2023 20:23 #252833 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Fan belt has come off
Personally if mine chucked a belt 1 time the crank pully would be the first thing I changed 

More
14 Dec 2023 11:09 - 14 Dec 2023 11:23 #252869 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Fan belt has come off
Two possibilities.

1) the alternator.  They rust inside (especially if a previous owner has been driving through water- I suspect mine had...) and the rust flakes drop into the works. When you first start up the alternator runs full field, and the magnetism attracts the flakes into a lump that seizes the alternator. When you turn the ignition off, you can move the alternator by hand, redistributing the rust and it will be fine for a couple of days before doing it again.

This doesn't fling the belt off, it just tries to set fire to it (the alternator pulley will burn your fingers), but if the crank pulley is starting to go it might flip off.

2) the crank pulley.  This is a very poor design, the alternator grooves are in fresh air, and the fan belt tension acts to rip the rim of the pulley off the hub, it is only held on by the bond between the rubber and the hub.  Grab the outer pulley and try and rip it off the car, if there is any movement, change it.

You might have both problems at the same time!

I struggled on & off for 3 days to get the crank bolt undone on mine, I made a tool to screw into the holes on the pulley, and had the 6 foot scaffold pole to the bolt, I was sure the engine mountings would break. I even bought the most extreme powered 1/2" drive windy gun that Machine Mart had and rattled it until I was sure I'd get that vibration white finger thing.

Eventually, I got a slitting saw to it and cut the integral flange off the bolt in pieces, and it undid with my fingers.

Here is a section through the pulley showing how the poor design makes it literally fall apart when you are going along.

And some pics of the changing process

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Dec 2023 11:23 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MysterG, Phaeton

More
14 Dec 2023 12:30 #252871 by MysterG
Replied by MysterG on topic Fan belt has come off
Lots of useful info there @facade

I did wonder about the alternator, but the fact I could turn it after the belt popped off made me think it was okay ... after what you've said maybe not.
The fact the power steering belt is coming off too though makes me think crank pulley.
I do have a new pulley, tensioner and radiator on the way. My rad is very old and I don't think it will survive the removal and refitting.
Looks like I might have to add a pulley bolt to my shopping list.
Cheers. I will report back when I get time to tackle it.

More
14 Dec 2023 14:17 #252875 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Fan belt has come off
Facade, your crank bolt was well and truly stuck and a bit extreme to have to cut the pullt off.

I made a similar jig to yours and a 1m long breaker bar with six sided impact socket got my bolt out, with a bit of help from a friend. It never occured to me to buy a new bolt, but after seeing yours I wish I had done.

I hope the pully isn't a bi-annual service item, never had to do one on a car before.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
14 Dec 2023 14:54 #252876 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Fan belt has come off
I suspect a previous owner had been driving through water- just look how corroded the pulley was. The flange on the bolt had rusted solid to the pulley, once the flange was off it lost its tension and there was nothing holding it so I undid it with my fingers.

Checking the date on the picture it was 2016, my Jimny was a 2000 plate, so it lasted 16 years. (I can vouch for 6 of them, I got it in 2010).

It took me 3 days to think to cut the flange off and just get a new bolt, I should have done it as soon as the scaffold pole didn't work

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds