BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

JB74 3 inch lift with 215/75r15 tires - looking for pics

More
21 Jun 2023 13:54 #249575 by Grizzlie
I'm on the fence between getting a 2 inch lift kit or a 3 inch lift kit. I've toyed with a 2" sus+1" body lift, but the hassle of the body lift and lack of kits in my area (and anywhere really?) closed that door.

I like the idea of greater suspension travel/articulation but not keen on a 235 tire, don't want to go through gearing changes and clutch work. (The 235 seems to be the choice of tire when looking for +3"). I was able to score a decent price on some Yokohama G003 MT's and all my research is pointing to the 215's as the optimal size. There's part of me that also doesn't want to look all goofy if +3" and a 215 tire is a wonky combo.

My Jimny already has a winch + mount and rock sliders/steps. 5th tire is always on. Future plans include a roof rack and rear ladder. Recovery kit lives in the Jimny. 

Anybody have pics and/or experience of/with said combo?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2023 16:03 #249579 by Roger Fairclough
Your centre of gravity goes up as you raise the vehicle and that reduces your cornering ability and can create problems in steering due to variation in castor angle. Also excessive increases in tyre size will put extra strain on king pin bearings and wheel bearings, front and back. I fitted a 50mm lift and 215/75r15 tyres and believe this to be the option for normal road work and reasonable green lane runs.

Roger

More
21 Jun 2023 16:10 #249580 by jlines
  I’m running a 2inch lift and BFG 215/75/R15 KM3 tires. In my opinion this is a great combo if you want to keep good road manners. Anymore in mods and I feel it’s a downhill journey when it comes to road handling. A 3inch lift on the smaller tires will look odd as there is already a lot of space between the body work and tires. If you start adding alot of weight to the car then I could see the 2inch lift sagging quickly.  
Attachments:

More
21 Jun 2023 16:28 #249582 by jlines
I also saw this last weekend at the Jimny meet and from what I could gather it was running a 3inch lift and I would guess 31inch tires? I didn’t get to ask how it handled on the road. Also as you can see from the pics it no longer has the standard bumpers as I guess they don’t work at this level of mods. 
Attachments:

More
21 Jun 2023 17:26 #249583 by Grizzlie
That front is hideously beautiful in a barbaric sort of way.

More
22 Jun 2023 06:47 #249589 by 300bhpton

I also saw this last weekend at the Jimny meet and from what I could gather it was running a 3inch lift and I would guess 31inch tires? I didn’t get to ask how it handled on the road. Also as you can see from the pics it no longer has the standard bumpers as I guess they don’t work at this level of mods. 
Think it had 245/75R16’s on. About 30.5”.

Sadly I didn’t get see how it flexed off road. I did follow it for a while, but they stayed on the perimeter path.

Personally I wasn’t that keen on the no bumper looK and in the U.K. I’m not sure it is actually road legal and did present sharp (and rusty) edges.

Would be interesting to know what lift kit it was running. The front ARB angle didn’t look great, but it might still have good road manners??

As for the iOS question of tyre height. I’m really torn on this. I also don’t really want to regear. At least it isn’t a planned mod at the moment. But there is no denying Jimny’s in general are under tyred in stock from.

Eg a Land Rover Series has an 88” wheelbase and typically the smallest factory tyre would have been a 205 x 16 (~29”). But Land Rovers could come on a 7.50 x 16 (~31-31.8”). The Jimny with an 88.6” wheelbase is running more like a 27-27.7” tyre. The smaller tyre certainly impacts ground clearance and all the approach/departure/break over angles.

I fell foul to this twice at the weekend. I turned up one track that I’d not even considered would be difficult in a Land Rover and promptly sat the Jimny on its diffs with all 4 wheels spinning.

Later on I also went across the side of a mound. I thought it would just flex, maybe scrabble and use the TCS, but drive straight through. But instead it sat beached on the transmission skid plate and drivers rock slider, again needing a tow out.

Of course ultimately both of these were driving errors in putting the vehicle in that place to begin with. But a 100% standard Land Rover 88 or 90 would even have seen them as obstacles.

I also like narrow tyres over fat ones as a rule off road. At least for terrain in the U.K. my current thinking is a 205/80R16 would be my choice of size. Same height as a 235/75R15 but less wide. But of course needing new rims for 16”. (A 6.50 x 16 would be even nicer, but so rare these days).

Sadly there doesn’t seem to be a tall narrow 15” tyre.

More
22 Jun 2023 10:56 #249592 by jlines
They said it has a 3inch lift from Italy so i think its the HM4x4 lift kit installed.

More
23 Jun 2023 06:54 #249600 by Busta
I think it will look goofy. 215s look best on a standard car. As a rule your tyre size should dictate your lift. There is little advantage to lifting just for the sake of it, and if you are adding weight with accessories the extra height is a disadvantage. Also lifts don't necessarily lead to better articulation.

More
12 Jul 2023 23:35 #249856 by Grizzlie
It ultimately came down to a +40mm lift. Front springs from OME, and rear springs something locally produced. The front OME springs were same height as OEM but with thicker coils. Rear springs were seemingly same thickness but longer than OEM. Way less wobble/bounciness now and it seems to sit straighter, ie, no downward slant which I think it had with the OEM springs. 

Looks great in my humble opinion. 

Pic to illustrate difference. I tried to get the before/after photos aligned as best as I could. But the difference is evident when looking at the space between the wheels and body.
Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2023 07:47 #249858 by lesgrandepotato
  Ok it’s a Sami… but the shape is the same. They are 215/70’s with an OME 40mm lift. I reckon it’s up about 2” on the front and 2.5” on the back. 

When the BFG’s are done I may go to maybe a 29 but I don’t want the wheel weight and lack of manners. I do want the breakover angle which is invariably where I get the current Jim stuck. 

With the little lift and tyres and different chassis arrangement it looks like I’ll have gained about 90mm from the stock Jim so that should make a noticeable difference. 
Attachments:

More
21 Jul 2023 06:49 - 21 Jul 2023 06:50 #249939 by VadJB74
The 1st picture is 30x9.5r15 (the picture with box on the roof) and the second one 215/85r16 currently I’m running 3inch lift, but I hope soon I’ll get 5 inch 
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jul 2023 06:50 by VadJB74.

More
23 Jul 2023 20:27 #249974 by Grizzlie
Oh that looks nice. Perhaps some pictures of flex?

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds