BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Trailmaster 50mm lift needs new shocks.

More
02 May 2023 11:32 - 02 May 2023 11:38 #248923 by yakuza
So as my picture in the "what did you do" thread show, I will need new shocks. 
The number on the Trailmaster Comfort is 59360 and they have rusted through after 6-ish years. I have seen the surface rust but underneath on the back it was carnage. Borrowed one from my other lift kit but will need to replace with the correct one if there isn't any significant reason to choose other types?
I think the length is very suitable for the lift and the ride quality is adequate for me, very pleased except for the rust-life.

Anyone changed or tried other shocks in addition to their Trailmasters?

I know many of you got the Black Raptors and is pleased, but has anyone compared them to the trailmaster and tried both?

Edit: oh and the price... No shops for this in Norway and our NOK has plummitted. So last year our NOK was 0.1 € and now it is 0.085 €. Worse even up against the Danish or Swedish. Better against the pound so might buy this in britain.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 02 May 2023 11:38 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2023 19:10 #249272 by yakuza
Not too easy to find these shocks as a spare. No shops in Norway got these and many web shops only do the complete kit or lack info on the part number for the shock they supply.
I would preferably replace with the Trailmaster 59360 shock as I was pleased with them until they spewed their oil out on my floor.
jimny bits can supply I hope.
The shocks are a bit pricey as I remember paying 10k NOK for the complete lift kit and will pay half of that just for the two shocks now. Inflation and currency and time..

If all else fails, what other brand of (cheaper) shocks are good?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
25 May 2023 15:22 #249291 by jackonlyjack
I would say ask Martin about trailmaster 
If you need other I would suggest avo adjustable from jimnybits 

More
25 May 2023 16:23 #249292 by mlines
I can get Trailmaster as can JimnyBits, however there are a couple of issues:

1. Trailmaster seem to have little interest in shipping to the UK, they drag their feet with orders and you have to arrange your own courier as they think it is too difficult to arrange a courier. This means we both have long lead times to get parts from them

2. The stacking of VAT/Import Duty. Paying once (to import to UK) is only to be expected in this modern world. However paying AGAIN to import to Norway without exemption on export is silly but a fact as any import to Norway from the UK attracts tax again.

In summary, if you are in Norway and want to buy an EU product like Trailmaster then I would purchase from an EU country so you only pay the EEA rates for EU>Norway

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
26 May 2023 05:40 #249294 by yakuza
Trailmaster has stopped answering it seems some suppliers say.

I will try the Germans but I have many bad experiences from buying from there. Half of them thinks they cannot sell to any country outside the EU but we have trade agreements so should be no difference, the other half has either language problems (even their german is bad) or some other issue like lousy customer support.

Remind you that we are not an EU memeber either so I thought it was still the same that I do not pay the VAT in UK like before. Has been like that allways when I buy abroad. there is no way of not paying the norwegian sales tax 25% except smuggling or fetching parts yourself. No import duty so to speak, it is the normal sales tax.

Since there migth be a problem with trailmaster as jimnybits said they do not reply, I will try to source some other brand here in Norway.

The thing is that when my car was modified the part numbers for the lift parts where written in the approval documents. so I should be using those. Still no one has checked that ever since..

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 May 2023 06:17 #249295 by Lambert
Having had trailmaster in the past I think I would either go to AVO or Bilstein next given the evident difficulty in getting new trailmaster.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 May 2023 08:12 #249296 by yakuza
the ride quality is good I think compared to original. Not comparable but I had OME on my leaf spring SJ and OME shocks was not great on that car.

I have sent a few requests now. I can save lots if I find a norwegian supplier that keep a stock and I can find some in the correct length.

I should have got dampers when i was abroad last week. 600€ is allowed to bring back in goods without paying sales tax.

More
26 May 2023 11:53 #249298 by mlines
By complete co-incdence, Trailmaster seem to have launched (today!) a Busines to Business portal for online ordering. I could try an online order?

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
26 May 2023 12:14 #249299 by mlines
Looking at it you can register as a customer and purchase as well, you just dont get the partner discount

Martin

More
06 Jul 2023 07:02 - 06 Jul 2023 07:05 #249748 by yakuza
So i did register and paid for the two rear shocks. in May!
Still no reply, trying to get a delivery date or as of today, a refund.

I must strongly recommend someone in need of trailmaster items to NOT register and buy directly from them.

I can not recommend anyone to buy anything in germany actually. Even though I live in norway and we have all the free EU-market without being a full member.
Germany is the only european contry I ever had any problems with buying from.
You would think that a well developed country should have good customer support and rules and regulations to take care of the customer. But no.

Wich is why I have asked in here for tips on UK web shops for non suzuki items and must strongly recommend using the bigjimny shop and other UK based services.

Spain, Israel, Jordan, Holland, France, Spain, Latvia, Lithuiania, Poland, Hungary, India, US, Canada, Austrailia, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium -All OK no problems. (and Russia was OK too(before) And I will try not buy from China anymore.

Last edit: 06 Jul 2023 07:05 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
12 Jul 2023 08:58 - 12 Jul 2023 09:00 #249847 by yakuza
Update: Still not a single word from Trailmaster.
Today I opened a case thru paypal to get my 260€ back.

(Looking to loose 30-40€ from changes in the currency exchange rate) 

Last edit: 12 Jul 2023 09:00 by yakuza.

More
14 Jul 2023 08:10 #249871 by yakuza
No replies (only two days so still hoping, but still..) from trailmaster thru paypal either so today I escalated the case hoping paypal will issue a full refund.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds