BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine won’t start after engine swap

More
03 Apr 2023 06:36 #248367 by Motleycrew
lol it all goes back to the battery via the ground strap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2023 22:45 #248379 by fordem

lol it all goes back to the battery via the ground strap

Ahh - but it's NOT a single ground strap - take a look for yourself - just pull the negative terminal off the battery and follow the cables - there are two of them, a short one to the firewall and a longer one to the bell housing.  The fuel pump and everything other than the engine, so lights, horn, etc., etc., etc., ground via the short cable, the long cable is essentially there for the starter.

So, no, the fuel pump still doesn't use the same ground as the starter.

More
05 Apr 2023 09:23 #248390 by Motleycrew
Good point

More
07 Apr 2023 16:30 #248426 by spotdoc67
I think I have found the problem.
Looks like a vacuum leak.
I started the engine and gave it a little gas and it revs away which suggests that fuel delivery is fine but it still cuts out at idle.
I started it again and found that spraying carb cleaner towards the back of the inlet manifold and PCV valve allows the engine to continue idling.
I put a new inlet manifold gasket on when building up the engine but need to double check that it is torqued up properly. Not sure if the PCV valve is a problem.
Need to do some more digging!

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds