BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine won’t start after engine swap

More
26 Mar 2023 12:27 #248239 by spotdoc67
Hi all
ive just swapped a M15a into my 2006 Jimny 
ive just tried to start it and nothing happens 
there are a few clicks that I can hear but the starter motor isn’t spinning 
Any advice?
i was wondering if the immobiliser might be a problem 
ive tried both keys
thanks for any input 
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2023 12:47 #248240 by spotdoc67
Just tried one of the keys again
Locked and unlocked the car a couple of times
It now starts and runs for a few seconds and then cuts out
Could this be the immobiliser?
Engine sounds sweet which is a bonus!
Tom

More
26 Mar 2023 12:55 #248242 by spotdoc67
Now back to clicks and no starter!!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Mar 2023 13:16 #248243 by Lambert
Could be a bad earth to the motor or a loose starter wire?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Mar 2023 14:10 #248244 by spotdoc67
I’ve cleaned up the starter motor connection and it fires up now but only runs for 2-3 secs before cutting out again

More
27 Mar 2023 00:44 #248256 by fordem
First, the immobilizer won't prevent the starter from engaging and cranking the motor, that's going to be purely an electrical issue, and second, it's extremely unlikely that the immobilizer will allow it to start and then shut it down after 2~3 seconds.

Look at the dash lights, the immobilizer warning light is most likely an orange padlock, newer models might have blue & red keys, an immobilizer fault will usually show up as the starter cranking the engine over without it firing and the warning light on the dash flashing.

It'll behave like a no fuel/no spark failure because that is exactly what it is, the immobilizer shuts down the EFI system.

Start by testing for no fuel - spray starting fluid into the intake whilst cranking the engine, if it starts & runs for as long as you're spraying the fluid you have a fuel delivery issue, you can also check for a spark at the plugs.

Good old fashioned petrol engine troubleshooting techniques.

I'm going to stick my neck out, you have a fuel system blockage causing the pressure to drop below what's required to lift the injector pintles off the seat, there is enough flow to build pressure into a "deadhead" situation, but as soon as the injectors open, the pressure drops too low to sustain injection and the engine dies.

If it starts & runs on starter fluid, get a fuel pressure tester and verify the pressure.

More
27 Mar 2023 06:11 #248259 by spotdoc67
Thanks that’s really useful
I agree that immobiliser is unlikely as there was no problem prior to the swap
I was wondering about the crank position sensor on the new engine as a possible cause.
Would a failed sensor cause similar symptoms?

More
27 Mar 2023 09:23 #248262 by CodIsAFish
Morning - I had a similar issue after an engine swap (though it was just another M13A) - turned out all the jiggling of the wiring harness caused some of the older connectors that were corroded in place to straight up break off with the stress of moving about.

I had intermittent dropouts of RPM, and the immobilizer was quite unhappy at times, sometimes randomly kicking in while driving, especially over rough ground.

These connectors were under the fuse box, but I would go through and systemically check all your connections, just in case, the electricals can get a little worse for wear with time.

Image of connector (I cut the red and white one which IIRC was just a headlight, the other two were corroded off with an intermittent connection):

More
27 Mar 2023 12:44 #248263 by spotdoc67
it is a fuelling issue.
I sprayed carb cleaner down the intake and it kept running fine.
I've used the Swift injectors rather than the original Jimmy ones...could that be the problem??

Tom

More
27 Mar 2023 14:54 #248264 by fordem
Stop trying to guess your way through this, systematic diagnosis is the way forward - get a gauge and confirm the fuel pressure is within spec.

Failing that, use a noid light and see if the injector drive signal is present beyond that first two or three seconds.

More
02 Apr 2023 18:41 - 02 Apr 2023 18:42 #248361 by Motleycrew
Sounds suspiciously like a a grounding fault. The fact the starter motor was being feeble. I would check the engine earth strap as the fuel pump might not be grounding properly either. 
Last edit: 02 Apr 2023 18:42 by Motleycrew.

More
02 Apr 2023 20:05 #248365 by fordem
Sure, check the grounding, but, since the fuel pump is in the tank and doesn't use the "engine earth strap", I'm fairly certain that's not the problem.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds