BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:tyre rotation conundrum

More
10 Feb 2023 07:57 #247496 by mlines
My tyres rotate every day

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2023 23:40 #252949 by Bob1050
It was raining heavily and the television programming was awful - so I went outside and did the 6000 mile 5 tyre rotation procedure. Family are recommending me for psychiatric counselling on the basis of "How many Jimmy owners could be bothered doing that"? I did it regularly with the previous Jimmy and for me it will be interesting to note how the OEM Dunlops wear over the coming years. Do other forum members bother to do the 4 or 5 wheel rotation, as the dealers certainly don't include the option at service time? 

More
20 Dec 2023 01:24 #252952 by fordem
I do a 5 wheel rotation on all my vehicles every six months, the dealer will do if requested, of course for a fee, which I feel is ridiculous, since they need to remove the wheels to perform the brake pad/lining thickness measurements, all they're really doing is putting it back in a different spot,

More
20 Dec 2023 08:23 #252954 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Re:Re:tyre rotation conundrum
No rotation for 80000km. All 4 tyres have worn evenly. The spare however is still "new", but the rubber has hardened with time. When it comes time to replace tyres, I'll replace all 5.

More
20 Dec 2023 12:11 #252956 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic tyre rotation conundrum
I also do the 6000 mile 5 tyre rotation. All tyres wearing pretty evenly. 

More
21 Dec 2023 00:21 #252976 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic tyre rotation conundrum
Interesting mix of approaches - from an almost religious attention to compliance to 80.000 km without bothering! Nobody reporting bad wear leading to other issues. Thanks guys and food for thought.

More
21 Dec 2023 19:26 #252991 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic tyre rotation conundrum
Never ever rotated any of my tyres on any vehicle I've owned in 45 years

More
21 Dec 2023 22:14 #252998 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic tyre rotation conundrum

Interesting mix of approaches - from an almost religious attention to compliance to 80.000 km without bothering! Nobody reporting bad wear leading to other issues. Thanks guys and food for thought.

I didn't know you wanted a report on wear, but, I'm one of those who previously stated I rotate in a 5 tyre rotation every six months and the reason I do it is to even out the wear, experience has taught me that the tyres WILL wear unevenly if they are not rotated - on MOST vehicles the front tyres will wear faster than the rear, and if it's a front wheel drive vehicle, you're pretty much guaranteed, that the fronts will wear out long before the rear.

You don't HAVE to rotate, you can replace one pair of tyres and leave the other where they are, you can fit new tyres on the rear and transfer the part worn rears to the front, but, I like a matched set of tyres, so I rotate and replace as a set.

If you're going to run a 4WD, and use the 4WD, it's a good idea to rotate in a 5 tyre pattern so all 5 tires have the same approximate diameter and if you're driving AWD, say something like the Vitara LX, you'll find that there's a warning in the owner's manual about running different brands of tyres, which pretty much means you HAVE to rotate, and yes, the manual also recommens you rotate.

Attachments:

More
26 Dec 2023 01:41 #253081 by Filipao
Replied by Filipao on topic tyre rotation conundrum
Long time quattro owner and former Audi engineer, I do rotate my tyres every 20k km (13 thousand miles?)

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds